Why is the distance on my P4 Half what they say it is

Reaction score
My P4 Has really bad distance on the radio, even if i am at the beach and fly like 400 meters i loose signal it has been like this from day one even the video feed drops out at 200m in the US you get more than twice the distance it sucks i dont think i will buy the new phantom due to this issue

IMG_0736.jpg
My P4 Has really bad distance on the radio, even if i am at the beach and fly like 400 meters i loose signal it has been like this from day one even the video feed drops out at 200m in the US you get more than twice the distance it sucks i dont think i will buy the new phantom due to this issue

Over water I get 5Km any time if I am not flying close from any populated areas. SRTH is usually limiting to go much farther.
This is with the stock antennas.
With urban areas close by at 400' altitude I sometimes get weak RC and video signal after 1Km but never had issues at less distance except if I am flying lets say around 100' of altitude or less.

Here's what may help.
1. Select a custom channel, don't fly auto.
2. Select a quiet channel with the least traffic at your flight location.
3. After you do the custom channel selection, the app will then let you adjust the transmission quality. Turn that down to 4mbps.
4. Use a Windsurfer, parabolic dish.

If you want even more range, buy and fly your P4 with an Inspire controller, GL658A or C. The old GL300A will suffice too. The GL300C you have is inherently weak.

If you are using the Phantom properly with correct antenna orientation and can't get past 400 metres, something is wrong with it.
Getting it fixed or getting a new one is what you need.

Im at that point with my P4 too. Its a piece of dog crap compared to my P3P. No range, even at 4mbps on a custom channel. Constant disconnects. If its just me, then someone more apt can buy it for 800 USD.

Im at that point with my P4 too. Its a piece of dog crap compared to my P3P. No range, even at 4mbps on a custom channel. Constant disconnects. If its just me, then someone more apt can buy it for 800 USD.

If your drone or RC unit is defective, don't blame the entire product range in frustration. Have it sent back for repair or exchange.

Even here in Europe, a stock P4 with no modifications whatsoever can fly up to 2 miles (3.5 km) in a non-wifi-congested area with clear LOS using the simple tricks offered above by John Locke. You will get temporary glitches from time to time, but the drone is fully controllable.

Its not defective, the newer product is simply a step back and that frustrates me to no end. Just understand I flew the P3P with almost no issues ever, EVEN at further distances on AUTO channel at whatever the stock transmission rate is. I had to learn about those custom channels from you guys once I got the phantom 4 because of its limited capabilities.

Since my original post on this, on a lucky day i have flown the P4 about 8000 feet. However, 80 percent of the time my screen is half green. Im glad you are having a better experience.

Its not defective, the newer product is simply a step back and that frustrates me to no end. Just understand I flew the P3P with almost no issues ever, EVEN at further distances on AUTO channel at whatever the stock transmission rate is. I had to learn about those custom channels from you guys once I got the phantom 4 because of its limited capabilities.

Since my original post on this, on a lucky day i have flown the P4 about 8000 feet. However, 80 percent of the time my screen is half green. Im glad you are having a better experience.

I have a P4 and previously I had a P3A. Before I sold the P3, I could perform some comparisons. My experience is that they are pretty equal in range. The P3 takes a bit longer to get there, but they can fly pretty much the same distances, between 1-2 miles. Outside Europe the available distances should be roughly 50% more (or even twice as much) because the RC will transmit with full strength.

There are however some areas where it is impossible to fly without severe video glitches and frequent weak video signal warnings. I would think that it is most likely related to WiFi radio interference from neighboring houses (computer routers, burglar alarms, automatic lawnmowers and stuff). I would think that 8000 feet in such a residental area is not at all bad.

As you probably know, correct antenna positioning makes a huge difference, and also even the slightest of object between you and the Phantom - even a few leafless tree branches will substantially weaken or disrupt the signal. Fog or mist has the same effect by the way.

Finally, video glitches may also be caused by a poor cable or a tablet with insufficient computing power. It will then not matter how far away you fly, you will see video issues straight away. You will also not receive the red "weak video transmission" warning.

There are lots of comparison videos on youtube, p3a/p vs p4 max range. Most of them come to the same conclusion and that is that the range is about the same. That's in the US, could be different internationally. I would like to see a p4 controller vs an inspire 1 controller operating a p4 comparison video. That would be a good video. I haven't found one yet.

I guess I need to do a video using my GL300B from the P3P on the P4. Range increases. However, the way Mimoid worded his last post made me think differently. Rather than having a lessened range, I think the Phantom 4 may just be more susceptible to interference. Thoughts?

I had range issues with mine too, mostly operator error and inexperience. Added a set of these today and had great success.

Attachments

• IMG_7718.JPG
    IMG_7718.JPG
    520.7 KB · Views: 354
Reactions: dors2219
Ive got a set of those too. The point is, I never needed them til I "upgraded".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4