Why is sky all white in sunny weather?

Reaction score
When i film with my P4 in clear blue sky and strong sun the film comes out with a totally white sky...

I want to captures the true beauty of the sky, but can't when the weather is like that..

Is this an ISO setting ? Im a noob on that term you can see.. could someone try explain it? :)

Thanks in advance guys!

When i film with my P4 in clear blue sky and strong sun the film comes out with a totally white sky...
I want to captures the true beauty of the sky, but can't when the weather is like that..
Is this an ISO setting ? Im a noob on that term you can see.. could someone try explain it?
It sounds like you are shooting toward the sun with a dark foreground and bright sky above that.
The camera meter looks at the scene and gives a nice average exposure - which is no good at all because you have too much difference between the brightness of foreground and sky.
Just as it's not good to stare at the sun, it's not good to shoot towards the sun.
Turn your Phantom around and shoot with the sun instead of against it.

Reactions: Mads

Is this an ISO setting ? Im a noob on that term you can see.. could someone try explain it? :)

Thanks in advance guys!

It's probably as @Meta4 stated, but can you post an example?

I uploaded an example with original on left. On right i used lumitri colorfilter(Adobe premiere) because the film was so bright.. well i think the colors are much better after the filter, but sky is still white..

OK - yes - simply too much dynamic range for the camera with such a light sky and a dark ground. For video you may simply have to expose for one or the other. For photos you can bracket the exposure to create an HDR version with a higher dynamic range than the bit depth of the sensor.

For the true geeks amongst us, ISO stands for International Standards Organisation and has become the norm when rating "film" speeds or the apparent "speed" of digital sensors. It replaced ASA and DIN together with earlier ratings like Weston.

Reactions: Mads and sar104
Enable the histogram and over exposure warning features in the GO app and adjust your exposure as needed. You will get the most pleasing results where you maintain a constant exposure setting for a whole take (adjustments during a shot provide unpleasant distractions in the final edited footage). In most instances exposing for the sky (to right of histogram to avoid blowing highlights) will look most natural.

Using an ND filter with the correct exposure settings and using the D-Log camera pre-set can also help to some degree in then being able to squeeze some colour out of the sky in post production.
One thing I'm learning is that it's important to get your camera settings with regard to the EV as close to zero as possible.
And it's best to use manual settings rather than Auto to try and maintain a continuity.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, in particular over exposed images really cannot be rescued. If there isn't detail in blown highlights no amount of post production can improve it. Under exposure is at least better but with the risk of introducing unwanted noise and other artefacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20