why is my ftv tx charging my gopro ?

Reaction score
My Fat shark fpv TX is charging my Gopro. Why would someone want that ? ( go pro cannot work without its battery ) is emptying the phantom baterry faster that wayi guess ? should i cut the power to go pro cable ?

manosmanoli said:
My Fat shark fpv TX is charging my Gopro. Why would someone want that ? ( go pro cannot work without its battery ) is emptying the phantom baterry faster that wayi guess ? should i cut the power to go pro cable ?

That kinda depends on the USB cable you are using. Some have it as a seperate cable that allows you to power the gopro. Mine has this but I just don't hook it up to the power. Cutting it out of the loop is no problem but maybe wise to post a pic of your setup so we can see it first.

I believe the Hero3 White and Silver can work without a battery. The black HAS to have the battery present when you turn it on but if powered by usb you can actually remove it from the camera and it will still work. You certainly don't need it to power/charge the gopro. Nice option to have though if you find yourself with a really low GP batt when you go to fly.

I was unhappy about that myself. I removed the red pin from the plug. That way I could plug it back in down the road if I feel like it. If you have the readymaderc cable you could do the same. Dewey has an interesting point. If the GoPro can run without the battery then the weight reduction from removing the battery could be worth running the camera off the transmitter.

the drain is minimal
and it's kind of ideal as the last thing you want to have happen is the GoPro go dark at the wrong time while you're flying FPV.

It's also convenient so that you won't have to swap out the battery in the field, which is a pain to do with most gimbals and such.

the drain is minimal
and it's kind of ideal as the last thing you want to have happen is the GoPro go dark at the wrong time while you're flying FPV.

It's also convenient so that you won't have to swap out the battery in the field, which is a pain to do with most gimbals and such.

No sure anyone else has this problem, but if power supplied by Phantom battery and turning on the GoPro is not done in the proper sequence horizontal of the video is flipped. Right to left, left to right. I think the order is, connect Phantom battery to camera and then power on the camera.....I think....because sometimes I still do it wrong.

This might make a good reason to NOT use the Phantom battery to assist the battery in the GoPro.

(Anyone else seen this reversal phenomenon?)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik