Why is my footage getting crappier?

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. I'm hoping you can help me.

I have a phantom 2 with H3-3d gimbal and a go pro hero 3+ with a ND filter.

I started out using the 1080p @ 30fps settings and got some nice, smooth footage. Since then I've fooled around with different settings, but it seems like my footage is getting less and less smooth no matter what I do.

I tried shooting at 60fps and for some reason this caused a visible "wobble" in my footage.

I tried shooting with protune on, but I can never seem to get the colors to look natural in post (I'm no expert, have played around with iMovie and Premiere)

Lately it seems that I'm dogged by choppiness. Take a look at this video:

http://youtu.be/BULfUr4fbDs

Seems a tad bit choppy all around, but particularly when I'm rotating or moving sideways. These clips were put together using iMovie, applying the stabilizer filter to the whole thing. They were shot in 2k @ 25fps.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I'd be suspecting the efficiency of your Zenmuse. But I wonder why you're using a stabiliser in post-pro? Surely if you feel the need to apply it then once again the gimbal might not be as young and healthy as it used to be.

Thanks for your reply. The gimbal is not old, I only purchased the unit a few months ago. I did crash it pretty good one time, and the one "arm" of the gimbal (where the rubber bits attach) got slightly bent out, but we were able to bend it back and had gotten some good video out of it since then. Also of note, ever since that crash all the videos have a very high-pitched squeal sound, I assume that's from the gimbal as well. Maybe I just suck it up and replace the gimbal?

Does the raw footage have the same choppiness? This looks like more of a compression/codec issue on the video, and less an issue with the gimbal or vibrations from the quad.

Have you tried shooting footage with the GoPro on its own (preferably on a tripod if you have the tripod mount) to compare the quality of the camera output both on and off the Phantom? Try doing the same kind of pan on the tripod and then run through the same post workflow to compare the footage, preferably of the same scene or subject if you can.

What settings are you using to export your footage? Are you doing any frame rate changes from what you shot at to what you export at (i.e. shooting at 25fps and exporting at 30fps)?

Here's some of the raw footage: http://youtu.be/izh1vIo0AGY

You're right, it's not nearly as choppy. I suspect whatever I'm doing in iMovie is making things worse. Still though, it's not the best. After doing some research, I realized that my gimbal is not balanced with the filter on- it always flops to one side while off. Perhaps correcting this issue will help matters? Anything to be done other than the hack-y "velcro a coin to the other side" tricks I'm seeing online? Thanks again for your input.

Perhaps your wobble is increasing as the temperature decreases? Perhaps because the dampeners are too stiff in the cold weather?

I think that is happening to my Hero4/H3-3D combo. If the rain ever stops, I will try switching the dampeners to the softest ones I have.

I agree with traeger23,
I think its more compression/codec issues.
Watched your video full screen in youtube at 1080HD and it looks good.
Angelo

I don't get it. The images look pretty good to me. The pans are a little choppy, but then who's pans aren't, it isn't the Phantom's best feature.

I looked at both your finished movie, and your RAW footage. I think it looks very acceptable.

Now, if you were trying to be 100% still, and not moving, then yes, something is wrong, but that's not how I see it.

Sorry

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.