Why goggles instead of laptop?

Reaction score
I'm still new to all this, and haven't ever tried goggles. I have my Iphone mirrored to my laptop, and get a good mirrored copy of the Vision app on the 14" monitor. Just about full screen. With the camera in a cardboard box, sun glare isn't that much of a problem. I think I could even reduce what glare there is.

Is the immersion of goggles the reason for their popularity, or is there something more? The ability to see in higher definition rather than going through the app?

Just curious.

Most goggles are used for FPV flying. It's like being in the copter and flying like the pilot would. My problem withFPV flying is the inability to see to the left and right and up above me. These guys that fly FPV are good. I'm to old and to slow. I do either LOS or autonomous flying.

The Vision series and P3 require the touch screen to do settings on fly. This becomes difficult with goggles.

The Vision series and P3 require the touch screen to do settings on fly. This becomes difficult with goggles.
You'll poke your eye out with that thing.
I wouldn't want to fly with goggles unless the camera was tracking my head position. FatShark has a system with head tracking, but it's a bit expensive. I also would want to do it on a fixed-wing model.

I use goggles with my Vision Plus because it is nigh impossible to see the iPhone screen on a sunny day even with a sunshade and screen brightness at 100%.

My goggles are Quanum DIY V2. I have only tested them indoors so far.

For me, goggles would be interesting to try, but I don't think I would regularly fly with them. First of all, you have the touch screen issue with the app. Secondly, when I am flying with my sun box shade and am pretty immersed in the FPV experience -- and I suddenly lose wifi & FPV connection -- it can be difficult to spot where my quad is in the sky if I haven't been keenly aware of it's location relative to my position. So, if only for safety reasons, I think it is important to be able to periodically look up from the screen and spot your quad in the sky. That might be difficult to do with goggles.

i plan on a black pearl monitor, which has hdmi out.

can i plug that into a laptop and view my flight on the laptops larger screen?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl