Why does self-unlock work differently for different models?

Reaction score
I'm going on vacation in staying near a small airfield (Wright Brothers National Memorial). On the self-unlock site, the airfield shows up as a red restricted zone for my Phantom 3 Standard. If I select a better model (Mavic, Spark, P4, P4A, etc), the location shows up as a yellow authorization zone. Why is it a restricted zone for the P3S/P3Se/P34K and an authorization zone for other models?
i-VszqmL9-L.png

I've noticed and wondered about this as well. The only thing I can think of is because the one uses DJI Go 3 and the other uses DJI Go 4. As far as why the two apps have different geo-fencing (correct term?), I really don't know. You'd think an update on one of the apps could make it so the regions were the same on both.

As someone mentioned in a PM, the P3S doesn't support an authorization zone. The other models also have a restricted zone, it's just covered up on the map by the authorization zone.

The good news is I'm there now and am able to fly the my P3S. I contacted the Wright Brothers Memorial Museum and asked to speak to the aviation authority. I was transferred to the Nation Parks Service and was able to speak with the Chief Ranger with the authority over that airstrip. Through email, he granted me permission to fly within 0.25 mi of the airstrip. I went to the DJI self-service unlock site and uploaded a PDF of his email. Within 20 minutes, they granted my unlock request for the week. I was able to use it last night. I had to use my wife's iPhone, because you can't unlock a P3S controller over Android. But it worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers