WHY do you want the Vision?

Reaction score
I'm interested to know why people would/will be buying a Vision....
What are the expectations?

I have my opinion about it but I would like to hear others, perhaps you can show me a different perspective.

The first thing is the price, $1199.
It is my understanding that this gives you the following points OVER a phantom

Longer flight time
IOS video/data stream limited by WiFi range
Self tightening Props
Single Axis Gimbal
Camera (Spec/quality unknown - to me)
Pitch lever on back of transmitter [?]
Battery level meter on battery door [?]

Ok, so who will buy this Vision?

Not somebody who wants to take Hi Quality video. I don't know what spec the camera is but if it's even close to a GP3 shooting 1080/60 or 2.7k I will be amazed. And a single Axis Gimbal ?

So now if you want to remove the camera/gimbal and fit a 3rd party setup, can you? And even if you could, what's left over from your $700 price hike? A big battery and........ not much else.

See, $1199 is a LOT of loot, so I want to know there's something I'm missing, that it's not a folly.
The Phantom is a toy with potential for greatness, but it seems to me the Vision is a toy which is all it can ever be.

Show me why I would drop $1200 P{lus taxes plus shipping on a Vision when I could buy a Flamewheel for similar.

I thought as much. Nobody has any tangible reason why the Vision would be costing anywhere near $1200.

:lol:

The only way to convince would be to compare side by side video quality comparison of their video and HERO3 video. I will admit, the battery duration is a nice attraction.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

This guy gives you some insight of what the Vision is about... Also gives a test flight...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDQ5KT2abE[/youtube]

What about the supposedly 2.4ghz video link? Be interesting to see if that is any better than the standard 5.8ghz used on the market.

And with the powered wifi booster ok both the tx and the phantom range should be pretty impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back when Apple released their first iMacs,. most PC users (and even Mac users) questioned why anyone would pay more for a box that had no expandability and less power than a regular computer or home built PC's.
But people still bought them for one reason: ease of use in an all-in-one design.

This is pretty much the same thing in a way, as the Vision is clearly not being made for or marketed for hobbyist and DYI types, but more for the newbies who simple want to plop down a bunch of a money for a new toy and go out and start capturing stills and video.
I'm sure a number of newbies will buy it and soon discover that the video from a non-stabailized gimbal looks amateurish tho.

Clean, elegant, dedicated system- but also sounds like it will do exactly what I need to get done.

Meluk said:
What about the supposedly 2.4ghz video link? Be interesting to see if that is any better than the standard 5.8ghz used on the market.

And with the powered wifi booster ok both the tx and the phantom range should be pretty impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The 2.4g video is not the same as another standard 2.4g video link which I would expect to easily outdo the range of the vision. Its still at 5.8g for control so its not like its going 2.4g video and lower frequency radio as some others do for longer range, its still pretty much the same as a phantom 2.4 radio 5.8 video setup just the other way around.

Price wise you have to compare this price against phantom v2 which will likely be around the $700 mark. This extra $500 would be for the camera and video data link, compared to a h3b with dji avl58 fpv and dji osd which would be around $750 then if you want a gimbal from dji another $700 so thats $1450 more pushing the total price around $2150 for this. End results would easily be much better with the traditional not vision setup.

Vision is basically a rtf kind of fpv kind of camera setup but not great at either. I think the still camera wilk be better then a gopro and with camera control for people into Photos from a phantom its not a bad choice. Video not so much as I doubt the camera can compete to shooting protune in the black with a 2 axis gimbal, fpv has more lag and likely much less range then a good traditional setup even dji's own 5.8 setup I have got to 2km without issues.

Buying a vision is not for modders as your wasting money modding anything as your pretty much stuck with the 5.8 radio and built in camera and its 2.4 frequency. Changing any of this would make little sense so its just for those that want the vision as is and want nothing more from it.

EDIT: I don't actually want a vision or v2 phantom, I would like the new shell with larger battery to give me more options in terms of batteries and extend my flight time. Its either this or get a 450 or TBS frame and move to that but I actually quite prefer the more compact phantom size. It does all I need and has been modded nearly to its max giving great performance only limited by battery size and I don't really want to mount batteries externally as in that case I may as well go for one of the other 2 frames which I will likely go to at some point anyway as this would be a pretty easy transfer for me as the only stock parts on my setup is the NAZA, shell, GPS and ESC's (though they may be the next and last to go if I can fit a larger 4S battery in the larger shell that is)

I agree with martcerv about the phantom shell. Half the time I backpack my kit in some tough places, carry at least a half dozen batteries with the gimballed gopro on the outside of my pack with a dslr and tripod inside and accessories, rain cover etc. I wouldn't be able to do that easily with the 450, forget the 550 I would be snagging trees everywhere. I'm still wondering how I can jam a big battery onboard somehow and I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Futaba, likely in the next week or so then I think that maybe DJI is coming out with something that will waste my money on the tx/rx upgrade. In summary, the form factor of the Phantom is great, but the battery is the weakest part, next transmitter/rx, then smoothness for quality video. All fixable. The new Vision has attempted it but with compromises. I can tolerate short flight times and short distances, that's just planning. But I can't tolerate bad video. Another gopro factor: I can use it elsewhere off the gimbal and I can resell it for a good chunk of its price. Try that with the phantom camera.

Here`s a marketing error. DJI is betting on an increase in sales from the old Phantom, and instead of lowering the price to sell even more, they got greedy and hiked the price of the newest one. There`s no way it`s worth $1200, not at all unless there`s state of the art camera gear and it does far more than my original Phantom.

marcus_canada said:
I thought as much. Nobody has any tangible reason why the Vision would be costing anywhere near $1200.

:lol:

Driffill said:
Really think about the price, and compare it to our current setups . . .

Original model - Vision model
Retail: $750. - $1200
Reliable Tx. $350+. - Included
Camera, Gopro3 ~ $300 - Included
Gimbal (1-Axis). $50 - Included
FPV Tx/Rx. $100 - Included
OSD. $100 - Included
Upgrade mods. $150 - Included
Total: $1800+ - $1200

Upgrade mods would be bigger, balanced, self tightening props, a "second" 2200mah battery to make the 4400mah of the vision. "Upgrade"(???) shell.
I don't claim the vision camera will be comparable to the gopro, but that's just the comparison we are using in the real world.
I feel I've been modest on the pricing of mods spent on the original, look at you current set up, and total the cost, including the gopro and all the other little bits and pieces you've bought, and think if $1200 is really I high price for a RTF model of the same ability.

That's from another thread I posted in

All,
how bout this...you buy the new shell with a new battery and take the innerds out of your old phantom( would require some soldering) and put them in the new shell...put your gimble on the bottom with the go pro...would that work?
1. still use the old transmitter
2. upgrade the engines
would that improve your flight time..hypothetically?

I bought the original Phantom in August at IRCHA at the "bargin" price of $650, one week later, it dropped to $479. I started doing some add ons, GoPro 3, gimbal, new blades, landing gear extenders, etc.

I was looking at the FPV and telimetry equipment about the same time the Vision was announced. Well, by the time I added everything up, it was way over $1200, including the Phantom, with no end in sight. By the time I got done, I still didn't have anymore flight time with the gimbal and camera hanging on the Phantom, and it didn't look like we were going to be able to get a battery that really had more capacity than the original one.

Enter the vision, with at least 90% of the features I want and that is why it is on pre-order.

There have been several comments on the ability to change out the camera and the gimbal. At this point, we don't know for sure, but I can't see not being able to do so. Would DJI makes up buy a whole new Vison if the camera broke or malfunctioned? I am sure there is a way to remove it and put another gimbal on it. I don't think they would be that stupid as no one would buy from them again.

Just my 2 cents

Im wanting the vision because its RTR and FPV, been ny first quad id want some thing thats set up out the box. Or at least minimal set up required to get me in the air.

sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

Overall, the Vision seems to be a pretty slick, integrated package- real time video, real time GPS and altitude information, real time battery level, easy battery connection system, more flight time, etc. etc.

However, the big unknown is still whether the Vision's camera provides the same quality of video and still pictures compared to a GoPro Hero3+ Black.

Stills should be better having a 14MP camera, but all depends on the size of the sensor.
IE 8MP camera phones are not going to be close to an old DSLR camera.
I dont think the vid will be has good, its the hole point of a gopro. But its not going to be pants either, the vids I've seen look plenty good enough for my needs.

sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

The quality of still photos depends on the size of the sensor, the image size in megapixels, AND the quality of the lens system. GoPro has an outstanding lens system, which makes it so good.

For me, it was because it gave me an all-in-one integrated solution w/o having to piece things together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav