Why didn't the p4 get the inspire gimbal/cam?

Reaction score
The p4 gimbal/cam is nice but why didn't DJI just implement the round camera and super slick gimbal? They already have the technology why enhance the old setup instead of having a great round cam and minimized integrated gimbal like many other drones already have.

DJI_Inspire1Double-3.jpg

My guess is they don't want to make it too close to the Inspire. Don't want to cut in on Inspire sales. Remember the P4 already has longer flight time. Give it the same camera and it may be enough to take sales away from it.

Reactions: QuadBart
Marketing. It keeps the Inspire and its features on a different level. I'm sure there is some cost associated but I think it to differentiate the two... You want these features, you need to upgrade to an Inspire...

The p4 gimbal/cam is nice but why didn't DJI just implement the round camera and super slick gimbal? They already have the technology why enhance the old setup instead of having a great round can and minimized integrated gimbal like many other drones already have.

Here are some reasons not to do this:
  • It would never fit on that small of a form factor. That means the Phantom would need to be larger.
  • The extra weight would reduce the flight time. That would mean introducing an even heavier battery.
  • For those in the US, keeping under a certain weight is soon going to be important in order to fly commercially without a 333 exemption under the FAA's new rules.

Makes sense but it's a shame. They should strive to push boundaries instead of protecting and resting on their great past achievements.

Here are some reasons not to do this:

[*]For those in the US, keeping under a certain weight is soon going to be important in order to fly commercially without a 333 exemption under the FAA's new rules.
[/LIST]

Is this really happening? We'll soon be able to do phantom jobs without having a pilots licence?

It is the same camera in a different package. The P4 lens and mount is probably better. The only thing it lacks is 360 rotation which is pointless without retracting landing gear.

• For those in the US, keeping under a certain weight is soon going to be important in order to fly commercially without a 333 exemption under the FAA's new rules.

AIRR bill is all but dead and the FAA has come out against the micro drone class. So, I don't think this is a factor.

Well, they did make improvements to the gimbal. We no longer have to deal with the gimbal mounting plate, pins, and dampers.

Reactions: PHANTOMUSER
AIRR bill is all but dead and the FAA has come out against the micro drone class.
Awesome news. I really didn't want to be forced to get a manned aircraft pilot license to fly an Inspire.

We'll soon be able to do phantom jobs without having a pilots licence?
You will still need a pilot license. It won't be a manned aircraft pilot license though.

No point having a 360 gimbal, when you still have those landing skids in the way of the view...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl