Why did you crash

Reaction score
I'm curious why some are crashing their Phantoms other than an equipment failure. What's your story.? You may help others from making the same mistake.

Both of my crashes have been caused by my miscalculation of obstacles while setting Ground Station flights - One was caused by using the adaptive turns (cutting off a huge part of a right angle - and a tree being there) - The second was caused by the return leg not being high enough to clear a tree. The second one I should have been able to save had I just not stared at the Phantom and took control of it...

I had another minor crash that was caused by not really paying attention to the altitude at ground level changing between two flights (barometer warming and adjusting). - then again... setting a ground station flight that was too low to the ground... this one was fairly minor.

Nothing mechanical or firmware related has ever even hinted at wanting to crash...

When I first started, I crashed due to not having my orientation control down, over confidence, testing manual mode, testing atti mode, flying around power lines near sunset, small tree branches, and flying out of line of sight. Now when I crash, it's mostly due to overconfidence.

crashed into a tree on my first day with fpv. was looking at the monitor on the way in. when i looked up it was a lot closer than i thought and hit a tree full speed.

leason learned: dont use fpv if it is within 100meters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLQKO7WBHM

Crashed into the house by using the wrong control out of sheer panic. :oops: :roll:

I'd love to give an exciting story but I just don't crash, I never have a "moment" not even a small one.
In this case boring is good :)
As soon as I see one of these "moments" coming up I turn off the controller and the wee thing comes home like a faithful dog.
I will never crash, just like the flying pigs

Yep did the same thing as Jason..crashed into the side of the house, went left should have gone right duh. It was drifting towards the house facing me and I moved the stick too quick the wrong way! No real damage than two props. So now it is slow moves ...and no flying around the outside of the house either.

crashed into the roof of my house the 2nd flight I got it

just got overconfident and wanted to show off to friends and family all the cool stuff the phantom could do. :p lesson learned

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVXtzpjdiLM[/youtube]

Most of my early crashes came from me hitting ether S1 or S2 and it not being where I thought it was and just getting into panic mode cause it was not reacting as I thought it should . Used to be bad about slipping into atti and that would sure mess me up !
Now its just habit to know where they are and when something strange does happen if I have time I just take a second and regroup and usually all is well. I have bounced mine a bunch and have to say they are a lot tougher than some think .

NickCopter said:
crashed into the roof of my house the 2nd flight I got it

just got overconfident and wanted to show off to friends and family all the cool stuff the phantom could do. :p lesson learned

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVXtzpjdiLM[/youtube]

Them roofs are as bad as tree's ;)

Hot dogging and a power pole got in the way at about 30 feet.

Disoriented too far away, 4 wheeler got in the way.

Flying down a small gravel road, through a forest... TREE LIMBS.

Mostly tipping over on landing. Rarely land anymore.

Prop guards prevented damage most all of the time. Power pole took out prop guards.

I swear I got a bulletproof FC40 :D

Only about a dozen flights so far, each with 3 batteries, so that's technically 3 dozen flights, so with so few flights, I've not had many crashes. My first crash was also my very first ever flight.
Because I'd never flown it, I had expected that rotate would simply rotate on the spot, so I attempted to rotate it while hovering it in my loungeroom.
I don't know if it's meant to or not, but mine moves quite drastically about 6-7 feet to the side whenever it rotates, and whilst I've learned now to compensate for it, (and also not to fly in a tiny little loungeroom), that first time it swung straight across into a wall and came down hard.

The second crash was on my second ever flight, and it was over confidence - after successfully taking off and landing from the small solar panel I have in the roof-basket on my 4wd, several times without problem, the third time I overcompensated, moved forward too far, and the feet on it "tripped" over the edge of the roof basket and - I thought - sent it crashing to the ground on the far side of the car. I walked casually around the car to the other side and found it hovering about 6 inches from the ground, and rapidly heading towards the road full of traffic. If you crash ALWAYS cut power totally, and make sure it actually cut. I thought I'd killed power, and found it was still going. Only stopped it from going onto the road with about a foot to spare.

Ezookiel said:
I don't know if it's meant to or not, but mine moves quite drastically about 6-7 feet to the side whenever it rotates, and whilst I've learned now to compensate for it.

That is totally not normal. It should rotate/yaw and stay in place.

I was afraid someone was going to say that. ****! Now I have another problem to solve :(

mendezl said:
Ezookiel said:
I don't know if it's meant to or not, but mine moves quite drastically about 6-7 feet to the side whenever it rotates, and whilst I've learned now to compensate for it.

That is totally not normal. It should rotate/yaw and stay in place.

If the yaw is drifting, it means your IMU is out of whack. You need to do an adv IMU on a surface that is levelled with the horizon in both axis. Download a spirit/bubble level app on your phone in find a place where the bubble sits dead centre.

As for crashing - never. I've had trees and houses and sometimes the earth trying to catch my phantom.

R4boat said:
Yep did the same thing as Jason..crashed into the side of the house, went left should have gone right duh. It was drifting towards the house facing me and I moved the stick too quick the wrong way! No real damage than two props. So now it is slow moves ...and no flying around the outside of the house either.
That reminds me of about May 5th, first flight. Keep the back towards you at first. I just wanted the camera to pick up the yard. Cedar tree jumped right out in front of quad. Just green stuff on rotor, no damage. About three weeks later in yard did not think I was that far east in driveway. Puff of wind, pine tree. Chip out of silver rotor and tip out of black. The other two are still on quad today. Only two times I have crashed into something. (currently knocking on head(wood)) With November, December, and January gone and no flights, I wait for spring.
Now my X12 micro: about 75-80 crashes in two weeks! Strong litle thing. Still no damage.....hate manual mode.....

I'll have to look up what an IMU is and the process for doing and adv IMU.
I'll check it all out tonight.
It's certainly inconvenient having it set off sideways as it yaws, because I can't navigate it into any tight areas where I can't reverse back out, as I can't risk turning it in any small areas.

Ezookiel said:
It's certainly inconvenient having it set off sideways as it yaws, because I can't navigate it into any tight areas where I can't reverse back out, as I can't risk turning it in any small areas.

Do P2 owners have to do a compass calibration like we do with the FC40?

Underground power lines have goofed me up really bad in the past.
Now I make sure there is no interference when I do the compass dance.

IflyinWY said:
Ezookiel said:

Do P2 owners have to do a compass calibration like we do with the FC40?

Underground power lines have goofed me up really bad in the past.
Now I make sure there is no interference when I do the compass dance.
Yep

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik