Why choose NAZA mode?

Reaction score
I read the manual and from what I understand when you activate the NAZA mode by clicking on the Phantom button in the assistant it activates a couple of other advanced modes to fly in.

I have read the manual but I'm still confused as to what the point of it is, and why you would choose that over the mode that it defaults to.

GPS mode is still available in the NAZA mode, but it is labeled GPS ATTL Mode. Then there's ATTL mode, and then Manual mode. I see that it only stablized the altitude in the ATTL mode, but why would you want to do this? Also, is the GPS ATTL mode the same as the standard mode that it comes in?

The reason that I'm asking is that I had issues with GPS interference last week, and I'm wondering if I would've had this activated, could I have simply flipped the S1 switch over to ATTL or even Manual and flown it in to land rather than it wanting to fly around on it's own?

Thanks,
- blue

Yes you're right.

(ATTI)tude mode does not use the GPS (nor compass), so if there's failure from GPS/compass then your Phantom will not be affected. If you suspect you're losing control of your Phantom, then you should let go of both sticks and flick ATTI mode.

I wouldn't recommend Manual unless you're already used to flying helis without gyro.

There're also IOC modes that you can use in NAZA mode. Look up home-lock and course-lock..

Ok I'll check that out. When you click on that it gives you that warning that kind of made me think I shouldn't click to activate that. But if I leave the it in the upper position 1, isn't it the same as the standard mode that it comes in without activating that?

bluecreative said:
Ok I'll check that out. When you click on that it gives you that warning that kind of made me think I shouldn't click to activate that. But if I leave the it in the upper position 1, isn't it the same as the standard mode that it comes in without activating that?

Yes, except for the different LED codes.

They need to give that warning due to the markedly different LED codes and flying modes (IOC modes, ATTI, manual) that's not covered in the default manual. I'd imagine a mistakenly-activated IOC modes have contributed to a small percentage of flyaways... Once it's unintentionally activated, the pilot may think he has lost control of his phantom and if he panics, everything will just go on a downward spiral from there...

I may be wrong, but I believe atti mode does use the compass. It needs to know which direction it's pointing in order to correct any unwanted yaw to keep the same attitude.

Manual mode however doesn't use anything, which is why it needs to be flown constantly. No hands-off with that! :) The only "flyaway" recovery I've ever seen documented ued manual mode to bring it back under control.

Pull_Up said:
I may be wrong, but I believe atti mode does use the compass. It needs to know which direction it's pointing in order to correct any unwanted yaw to keep the same attitude.

Manual mode however doesn't use anything, which is why it needs to be flown constantly. No hands-off with that! :) The only "flyaway" recovery I've ever seen documented ued manual mode to bring it back under control.

Does atti mode maintain heading?

@OP: You can test it by hovering your craft and try to rotate it (change its heading) by hand, without touching control. If it tries to return to the original heading, then it should be using the compass.

In GPS mode, if you pull (by hand) a hovering craft, it'll fight you and will go back to its original position due to GPS awareness. That's also how it can maintain its position and heading in windy condition.

Thanks for the info. I haven't actually activated that mode yet, so I'm still flying in what looks to be called 'Vision' mode. When I click on the phantom button in the assistant it gives me a warning about switching to those other modes so I haven't done it yet. I'm kind of curious what the difference is between Vision mode out of the box, and then the GPS ATTI mode after you activate those other options, or if there is a difference.

From what I've read the vision mode is the easiest to fly, so since I'm somewhat new to the quadcopter world I figure I should leave it there until I get a few more flights under my belt :)

Pull_Up said:
The only "flyaway" recovery I've ever seen documented ued manual mode to bring it back under control.
I've seen posts suggesting that manual mode would help with flyaway recovery, but this is the closest I've seen to actual proof of it. In the DJI video "How to avoid DJI Phantom Fly-Away", Colin suggests ATTI mode but no mention of Manual. I've been thinking of enabling Manual mode for that reason. My PV has been well behaved so far, but it would be nice to have that backup plan in case it is needed.

MikeON said:
Pull_Up said:
The only "flyaway" recovery I've ever seen documented ued manual mode to bring it back under control.
I've seen posts suggesting that manual mode would help with flyaway recovery, but this is the closest I've seen to actual proof of it. In the DJI video "How to avoid DJI Phantom Fly-Away", Colin suggests ATTI mode but no mention of Manual. I've been thinking of enabling Manual mode for that reason. My PV has been well behaved so far, but it would be nice to have that backup plan in case it is needed.

If you want to include Manual mode in your contingency plan, make sure you can fly the Phantom in that mode too. Otherwise, you'll only be accelerating the crash :mrgreen:

GPS mode: 'no stick mode', NAZA controller will do everything for you to keep it hovering in place.

ATTI mdoe: '1 stick mode', NAZA will keep Phantom level and maintain its attitude. You'll need to use the pitch & roll stick to maintain position against wind and drifts.

Manual mode: 'heheh', NAZA automates nothing. You'll need to use both stick continuously to do all corrections.

LeoS said:
MikeON said:
Pull_Up said:

If you want to include Manual mode in your contingency plan, make sure you can fly the Phantom in that mode too. Otherwise, you'll only be accelerating the crash :mrgreen:

GPS mode: 'no stick mode', NAZA controller will do everything for you to keep it hovering in place.

ATTI mdoe: '1 stick mode', NAZA will keep Phantom level and maintain its attitude. You'll need to use the pitch & roll stick to maintain position against wind and drifts.

Manual mode: 'heheh', NAZA automates nothing. You'll need to use both stick continuously to do all corrections.

Doesn't it still hover by itself in Manual mode? I'm sure it will drift, but if you release both sticks, does it hover or drop?

semaj said:
Doesn't it still hover by itself in Manual mode? I'm sure it will drift, but if you release both sticks, does it hover or drop?

You are in 100% control, it drops like a rock, I would however suggest being able to fly in manual, it's so much fun. If you have problems, just flick the switch to ATTI for it to fix itself.

semaj said:

Manual is very manual. You will be responsible for all controls. If you haven't flown RC helicopters before I strongly recommend not flying it in manual.

If you take your hands off the controls it will most likely just tip over and crash.

christian.a803 said:
semaj said:

You are in 100% control, it drops like a rock, I would however suggest being able to fly in manual, it's so much fun. If you have problems, just flick the switch to ATTI for it to fix itself.

Maybe. If left sick is centered, you get 50(ish) % throttle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj