Why are my photos so dark?

Reaction score
I need to shoot fairly close shots of the side of a building why the drone is rising fairly fast. I need to be able to see really fine detail of the side of the building. I've found that the auto mode, the shutter speed is too slow so the details get blurred when you zoom in on the photo.

So I raised the shutter speed to 1/320 and kept ISO at 100. The building is dark and this was an overcast day and the photos turned out very dark. Although because I shot in RAW I was able to easily correct it.

I was actually using Lichti, but flying manual. The exposure setting was showing a -2 EV. Now if I remember my basic photography stuff, as you increase shutter speed and keep ISO the same, you need to increase exposure. So why am I showing -2 EV when I think it should be +2 EV?

My guess is that the "exposure lock" setting is somewhere else. If I used the DJI Go App what would be the procedure for this shooting objective?

Easiest suggestion. Set exposure to S shutter speed. Set the shutter speed you want. Then change the picture setting from single shot to AEB Auto Exposure Bracketing. You have a choice of 3 or 5 pictures per button press.

I always have the histogram turned on. Either using manual exposure setting to set the Fstop and Shutter speed or S mode and adjusting exposure compensation make sure the majority of the exposure, the mountains on the histogram, are in the middle.

The exposure setting was showing a -2 EV. Now if I remember my basic photography stuff, as you increase shutter speed and keep ISO the same, you need to increase exposure. So why am I showing -2 EV when I think it should be +2 EV?
EV-2.0 means that you have set your camera to underexpose by 2 full stops.
That's why your photos are too dark.
Dial it back to EV0

Reactions: Extra330
If you remember your basic photography increasing TV maintaining ISO to maintain exposure (not increase) you need to open the aperture (i.e. EV remains constant for current exposure).

In a nutshell, learn the exposure triangle. Shutter, Aperture, ISO. All the camera setting are linked. You can't adjust one without affecting the other. Faster shutter speed results in less light received by the sensor, slower speed is the opposite. All things equal, if you raise the shutter speed the image will be darker unless you raise ISO (which maDeekes the CCD more sensitive, but introduces noise), or open the aperture (lower Fstop which widening the opening in the lens). All this applies to a manual shot. EV is combined adjustment of shutter speed and aperture. Hope that sheds a little "light" on the subject. Lol

Or basically, what Meta4 said..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31