Why are DJI GEO NFZs so out of touch?!

Reaction score
This is [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] me off again and again because it's not making sense.

Went to fly at 2405 west vernor hwy, DETROIT, mi

The abandoned old train station. I've flown it often.

Today I get there; cannot take off.

Ok turn off Geo and and I'm told "In a class d warning zone" and off I go.

First, according to B4UFLY, from the FAA itself; no NFZs temp or permanent. Yes, big huge yellow warning but that's it.

So, why did GEO block me?
Why didn't it give me the dialog box to get online self-authorization.
Why is DJI arbitrarily blocking me while the FAA itself is saying, go for it?

This [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] because. What if this was for a specific one time event and suddenly I'm grounded - despite doing my homework. I flew there before, am blocked for no reason and no one can help or even explain why.

(Rant over - frustrated)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your distance from Young International Airport, which is NE from that location. GEO may be referencing that airport. It's possible that DJI has the coordinates wrong or some other error.

What airport does B4UFLY show? If there are no airports listed, then it's a DJI issue. If there is an airport listed, it will show you the distance from where you are trying to take off. That might provide more info to help get your issue resolved. If you click the shaded area on the map, B4UFLY will display either the airport name and class of airspace, if applicable.

Bob

I think that in all cases, the Go app should very specifically tell you exactly what is preventing take off - not just say "cannot take off in NFZ" and we have zero.zero way to know what it's referring to.

First, how did this limit your flying? You turned off GEO and were able to fly. So no real issue.

It appears to me that DJI is simply using old databases and/or erroring on the side of letting everything in. There is a site I saw that was about 50 miles by 20 miles. Had no idea what it was. I finally found out that it was an old missile site that has not been around for 30 years. However, I found this out as a pilot asked why he needed to still do something when he entered that area. So the restriction still is out there for pilots.

GEO has a lot of places that simply give you a warning. Very few are actually locked out. I'd rather have too many warnings that I can simply ignore than not know at all about any possible flying issues.

First, how did this limit your flying? You turned off GEO and were able to fly. So no real issue.

It appears to me that DJI is simply using old databases and/or erroring on the side of letting everything in.

First, obviously I understand and accept the idea of NFZs; of course.

But, like a pilot. We should be able to plan our flights with the same up to date data so we don't go somewhere the FAAs own app says is fine and we can't take off. Further, not being told why.

We can turn off GEO today but that won't be forever. Also, falling back to older databases is a gamble; maybe better maybe worse / and you might genuinely be flying where you shouldn't.

All I asking: let's be up to date and let's be clear!

This system can make our $1400 device useless without warning or recourse: we deserve to know why and what our options are, clearly spelled out. Basics; I can't even find a manual for now GEO works.

I was lucky in this case, I've had other times where I was locked out. Period. No options nothing -- and yet; I was NOT in a NFZ.

If the FAA wants to treat us as serious pilots then we need the same degree of reliable airspace information as any other pilot.

Reactions: Falcon900
But, like a pilot. We should be able to plan our flights with the same up to date data so we don't go somewhere the FAAs own app says is fine and we can't take off. Further, not being told why.

As I mentioned above, pilots have the same problems. An example was a large area next to Green River, UT I saw and had no idea what it was as nothing was there. How I found out what it was was by reading a pilots post as to if he needed to follow his procedure for entering that restricted area when it's not been an active missile site for 30 years.

All I asking: let's be up to date and let's be clear!

Don't you think it's in beta for a reason?

This system can make our $1400 device useless without warning or recourse: we deserve to know why and what our options are, clearly spelled out. Basics; I can't even find a manual for now GEO works.

You are incorrect when you say it's useless.

A simple Google search returns DJI's website and info:

DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

Part of the FAQ is this info:

What if I find an error?
DJI will create an error-reporting system. We want our new system to be as accurate and helpful as possible. The unlocking mechanism should allow you to fly in these locations, based on your own judgment, while DJI evaluates your error report.

After entering the address you provided did you happen to see how close your proximity to the U.S. Customs & International US/Canadian crossing bridge you were? Bridges, especially International ones are probably the reason for your receiving your warning.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Don't you think it's in beta for a reason?

I'm going to back off on my comments for that reason alone - it's a beta program and so we can expect bugs of any magnitude, including disabling ones. Since we can turn it off, it's not restrictive.

I was adding information for any who were interested, and, yes, venting a bit.

I did, however, finally figure out what I'm doing to actually get Geo to do something;

When I have the red "Cannot Take Off" displayed - I tap the Automatic Take Off button - THAT'S when it displays it's dialog and gives you the chance to self-authorize. Can you show me where this is documented, I have been looking for more docs on the system from DJI itself.

As long as I'm given the ability to make a human decision when and where to fly I'm OK with the system. And, yes, I do understand that Some air spaces will be hardcore regulated and locked out for national security reasons. No problem there.

Main point: I'd like to be able to pull up a map and definitively be told: You can/cannot fly there at <time/date>. Something that is in sync with DJIs source. That's missing today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20