Why 3840 over 4096? More pixels always better?

Reaction score
Is there a reason to shoot in 3840 4k instead of 4096? You have more pixels to work with. And I just did some side by side test, I don't see a degraded quality from 4096 either. Am I missing something?

Is there a reason to shoot in 3840 4k instead of 4096? You have more pixels to work with. And I just did some side by side test, I don't see a degraded quality from 4096 either. Am I missing something?

You get a bit more data out of 4096 X 2160 but it will have to be formatted differently to fit more popular viewing platforms. Most video platforms are 3840 X 2160, Cinematic views are 4096 X 2160, if that is the look you are after by all means use it.

But you could just trim the 4096 down to 3840 so why ever shoot in 3840?

It is another step to convert one format to another, some image quality could be changed. Unless you had a specific reason or client that asked you to shoot in 4096, it would be easier to shoot, share and sell 3840. If shooting for yourself, shoot what is more pleasing to you. The image quality is not very significant between the two, just a different look.

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
But you could just trim the 4096 down to 3840 so why ever shoot in 3840?
As has been pointed out- 3840 is native pixel width for 16:9 UHD format. So yes you could crop off the edges to render UHD output, or rescale to maintain aspect and keep the edges of frame in which case you will have borders top and bottom on a standard UHD display (or any 16:9 format monitor).

If you're' shooting with P4P, 4096 X 2160 will have glitches, both 60FPS and 30FPS, happening every couple minutes. There doesn't seem to be a firmware fix possible from DJI. If you shoot 3840X2160 you won't have glitches. Maybe P5 will have this fixed.

If you're' shooting with P4P, 4096 X 2160 will have glitches, both 60FPS and 30FPS, happening every couple minutes. There doesn't seem to be a fix from DJI for this. If you shoot 3840X2160 you won't have glitches. Maybe P5 will have this fixed.

Thanks! Good to know! What's a glitch!?

Thanks! Good to know! What's a glitch!?
A few frames will be garbled up, like the hardware is burping from too much data. Has nothing to do with SD card speed, as the fastest card all do it. You can ask GadgetGuy, he's been the one that's been bothered by this anomaly the most. Every one of his 6 P4P's would have glitches with 4096 width shoots. All he shoots is 4K videos, now in 3840, glitch-free.

But that doesn't answer why you would choose to throw away data when filming. I thought there would be some kind of trade off but there isn't one

If your ultimate goal is to be saving the highest quality images you might want to consider the Inspire 2 with the C-DNG Raw licensing and be able to store C-DNG RAW 5.2K: 5280×2972. You might need more hard drives :)

A few frames will be garbled up, like the hardware is burping from too much data. Has nothing to do with SD card speed, as the fastest card all do it. You can ask GadgetGuy, he's been the one that's been bothered by this anomaly the most. Every one of his 6 P4P's would have glitches with 4096 width shoots. All he shoots is 4K videos, now in 3840, glitch-free.
Do you have a link to the thread? I might have to look at my footage now to see if I get the same error. Do you know how long a drone has to film before it typically glitches?

Do you have a link to the thread? I might have to look at my footage now to see if I get the same error. Do you know how long a drone has to film before it typically glitches?
The expert on this subject is @GadgetGuy who had this problem for months. Since I don't have 4K TV, and my software (Premier Elements) and computer (Win7 with 3Ghz Haswell i5+8GB) can't edit 4K very good (Premeir Elements doesn't support proxy files), I'm always recording in 1080. I've only recorded 4K a few times. I believe the glitches are random and he would get 15 to 20 glitches for each 23min flight, so it doesn't have to fly very long, I don't think. You can't miss them, it's obvious when you view the source video.

Reactions: tml4191
The expert on this subject is @GadgetGuy who had this problem for months. Since I don't have 4K TV, and my software (Premier Elements) and computer (Win7 with 3Ghz Haswell i5+8GB) can't edit 4K very good (Premeir Elements doesn't support proxy files), I'm always recording in 1080. I've only recorded 4K a few times. I believe the glitches are random and he would get 15 to 20 glitches for each 23min flight, so it doesn't have to fly very long, I don't think. You can't miss them, it's obvious when you view the source video.
Thanks. I messaged him. You need to upgrade your computer! Even gaming laptops these days can edit 4K with ease.

Thanks. I messaged him. You need to upgrade your computer! Even gaming laptops these days can edit 4K with ease.
Yeah I hear ya. I'm not a gamer so I have no GPU. I could just buy a GPU and I could edit 4K, but right now I have no need. However, I just got the new DishNetwork Hopper Gen3 that supports 4K content, so a new livingroom 80" 4K is feasible now that I can actually get 4K content from Netflix, YouTube and Dish. After I get the new TV I'll get my new computer, which I've been putting off to get decent H.265 hardware decode support (now available with GTX1080), but also to get the new Intel Optane SSD to use as the boot disk. This new Intel Optane 3D Xpoint flash technology is supposed to be a breakthrough, as fast as DRAM, or 1000X faster than today's MLC flash SSDs, not to mention the operational life of Optane flash is 1000X longer than MLC flash, it virtually lasts forever. So the timing is coming together for this to occur around Christmas time, or maybe Springtime. Dell says they will soon be offering Optane enhanced M.2 boot drives.

Reactions: tml4191
Yeah I hear ya. I'm not a gamer so I have no GPU. I could just buy a GPU and I could edit 4K, but right now I have no need. However, I just got the new DishNetwork Hopper Gen3 that supports 4K content, so a new livingroom 80" 4K is feasible now that I can actually get 4K content from Netflix, YouTube and Dish. After I get the new TV I'll get my new computer, which I've been putting off to get decent H.265 hardware decode support (now available with GTX1080), but also to get the new Intel Optane SSD to use as the boot disk. This new Intel Optane 3D Xpoint flash technology is supposed to be a breakthrough, as fast as DRAM, or 1000X faster than today's MLC flash SSDs, not to mention the operational life of Optane flash is 1000X longer than MLC flash, it virtually lasts forever. So the timing is coming together for this to occur around Christmas time, or maybe Springtime. Dell says they will soon be offering Optane enhanced M.2 boot drives.
Thanks for sharing; that's the first time I've heard of Optane ssd!

I get garbled frames every now and then and I shoot at 3840x2160 UHD at 30fps. I think it is likely that the onboard image processing is marginal at the higher resolutions and will puke now and then causing garbled frames. Some flights have no problems while other flights might have 4 or 5 such issues. This is my most common and annoying problem.

Brian

I believe the new gen of Intel CPU's also support H.265.

So, while there is some question if DJI's implementation of H.265 is better than H.264 at least the newer PC hardware will make playing and editing H.265 less of a hassle.

Brian

I get garbled frames every now and then and I shoot at 3840x2160 UHD at 30fps. I think it is likely that the onboard image processing is marginal at the higher resolutions and will puke now and then causing garbled frames. Some flights have no problems while other flights might have 4 or 5 such issues. This is my most common and annoying problem.
You might consider starting a claim with DJI for warranty replacement, sometime before the warranty expires.

Brian

Also have a look at the 960 pro ssd from Samsung: seems to be double so fast.
Form Factor:
M.2
Capacity:
512 GB, 1024 GB, 2048 GB
Sequential Read Speed:
Max 3,500 MB/sec
Sequential Write Speed:
Max 2,100 MB/sec
960 PRO | Consumer SSD | Samsung V-NAND SSD.
Also see Optane Memory review: Why you may want Intel's futuristic cache in your PC for a comparison of them.
Just ordered an intlel 2 xeon with ao this NVDMe ssd, will be used as cache during video processing.
Marc.

Also have a look at the 960 pro ssd from Samsung: seems to be double so fast.
Form Factor:
M.2
Capacity:
512 GB, 1024 GB, 2048 GB
Sequential Read Speed:
Max 3,500 MB/sec
Sequential Write Speed:
Max 2,100 MB/sec
960 PRO | Consumer SSD | Samsung V-NAND SSD.
Also see Optane Memory review: Why you may want Intel's futuristic cache in your PC for a comparison of them.
Just ordered an intlel 2 xeon with ao this NVDMe ssd, will be used as cache during video processing.
Marc.

My main OS and program drive (C) is the older Samsung 950 Pro PCIe SSD that has a read/write speed of 2400MB/sec//1500MB/sec. This is also my scratch disk for Adobe. I maintain my image and video archive on two 6TB WB Black HD's and they are in the 200MB/sec range or a bit faster. I built my editing PC a year and a half ago and hopefully in another 1.5 years I'll build another using even better CPU's and GPU's. My current kit uses an Intel 5820K that's OC'd a bit and my GPU is the older nVidia 980 Ti -- both are water cooled. The latest gen CPU's and GPU's are supposed to natively support H.265 whereas neither my CPU or GPU do.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik