Who wants to help me change the public opinion on drones?

Reaction score
It seems like everyday we are seeing more media outrage about how drones are posing a serious risk to human life in the US and abroad. As someone who uses a drone in a responsible way, i feel like it is my responsibility to stand up for the rest of us. Ive pretty much come to terms with the fact that more regulations are on the way, and i welcome them! The point of this post is to see if there is anyone out there who would be interested in starting some kind of blog with me. The point of the site would be to post positive things to do with drones, i.e. photos, videos, stories. let me know if you have any interest. Thanks.

Personally, I think the best thing we can all do is stop calling them drones, and start using the correct terminology.
Start calling and referring to them as quadcopters and this will alleviate some of the apprehension and misgivings the general population have about them.

My 2c.

Reactions: loganr and jryser
I agree. I ALWAYS say I'm recording with an RC helicopter. They see it and are fine with it. If I say "quadcopter" they become more uneasy... just a tad bit... if I say drone... it's over... don't even bother, unless I'm with tech type people who aren't right wing.

Reactions: jryser
I disagree. The negativity is caused by operators acting stupid with their drones, not by what they're called.

The opportunity to change the terminology, if there ever was one, has long passed.

I agree clipper, it shouldn't matter what we call them. Irresponsible people are the reason UAS have such a bad reputation, not the name.

Personally, I think the best thing we can all do is stop calling them drones, and start using the correct terminology.
Start calling and referring to them as quadcopters and this will alleviate some of the apprehension and misgivings the general population have about them.

My 2c.
I never use the term drone, a drone is a male bee. I strictly refer to it as a UAV.

I agree clipper, it shouldn't matter what we call them. Irresponsible people are the reason UAS have such a bad reputation, not the name.
Bingo! A rose by any other name... We are destroying our hobby. As Pogo said, we have met the enemy and it is us. Every genius that's shoots his bird up just to see how high he can go in the National Airspace System is our enemy. Every dolt who shoots his bird out "just to see how far it can go before I lose it and drop it on someone's head" is the enemy. I mean, geez, there's a facebook group dedicated to flying as far as they can. Pure genious. And every fool who flies over people and houses in heavily populated residential areas is contributing to the problem

And every responsible UAV pilot who has personal knowledge of any activity in violation of FAA rules or "guidelines" or local ordinances or park rules and fails to report the incidents to the proper authorities is just as responsible for the anti-UAV wave. There, it's out.

Now get ready for the haters...

hobbyists will end up in the park with the other RC guys, commercial users will end up paying for permits and licenses.
regulation will strong arm itself into this new technology.

Though there are probably more, I can think of two main types of people who fly Phantoms and other similar consumer drones: there are the videographers/photographers and there are those who just love to fly these machines.

I suspect the largest group of drone fliers are those interested in the photo/video aspect, including myself. I would hate to see us limited to RC parks and fields, since for me this is about photography, not just flying over some sterile field designated "safe."

Though I disagree with LUISMARTINEZ on some points, he's dead on with the following:

"And every responsible UAV pilot who has personal knowledge of any activity in violation of FAA rules or "guidelines" or local ordinances or park rules and fails to report the incidents to the proper authorities is just as responsible for the anti-UAV wave."

I also add that we should go beyond guidelines, ordinances, park rules, etc. If I see someone doing something that's technically legal, but still wrong, irresponsible, or unsafe, I'm going to say something to that individual.

I like the thought here... but I hate to say that I doubt a blog will undo what the power of the media does. Don't get me wrong - I am not one of those people who just bashes the media - but what the media creates around drones is what fuels people's worries and fears.

For example - the recent story about the guy who used bird-shot to shoot a drone in his back yard. If the pilot was flying 10 feet above his neighbors yard - he's an idiot - but if he's flying 100+ feet above his yard - all the media would have to do is show some of the footage to demonstrate how little privacy is invaded at altitudes like that without zoom lenses.

It's all the availability heuristic at work.... people freak out because what they see on TV is the idiots - what they don't see are the 1000's of people (or millions) that fly these things without incident and in a respectful way.

While a blog might be a handy thing to point people to if a discussion occurs - I doubt it will really change the tide :)

I like the thought here... but I hate to say that I doubt a blog will undo what the power of the media does. Don't get me wrong - I am not one of those people who just bashes the media - but what the media creates around drones is what fuels people's worries and fears.

For example - the recent story about the guy who used bird-shot to shoot a drone in his back yard. If the pilot was flying 10 feet above his neighbors yard - he's an idiot - but if he's flying 100+ feet above his yard - all the media would have to do is show some of the footage to demonstrate how little privacy is invaded at altitudes like that without zoom lenses.

It's all the availability heuristic at work.... people freak out because what they see on TV is the idiots - what they don't see are the 1000's of people (or millions) that fly these things without incident and in a respectful way.

While a blog might be a handy thing to point people to if a discussion occurs - I doubt it will really change the tide :)
I understand its not going to change the world, but i figured it would be a good place for responsible operators to come together and showcase their work and discuss these topics.

It seems like everyday we are seeing more media outrage about how drones are posing a serious risk to human life in the US and abroad. As someone who uses a drone in a responsible way, i feel like it is my responsibility to stand up for the rest of us. Ive pretty much come to terms with the fact that more regulations are on the way, and i welcome them! The point of this post is to see if there is anyone out there who would be interested in starting some kind of blog with me. The point of the site would be to post positive things to do with drones, i.e. photos, videos, stories. let me know if you have any interest. Thanks.
I'm in.

I understand its not going to change the world, but i figured it would be a good place for responsible operators to come together and showcase their work and discuss these topics.

How is that different from this forum?

Just keep in mind that "the media" are businesses that sell shock, outrage, grievance, and sometimes prurience. That is their product, and the market is fiercely competitive. No government oversight or regulation, it's open loop! We're not going to get anywhere with a frontal assault. We don't have the money. So what to do? I'm struggling with it.

Hmm... What about seeding a few media outlets with UAVs like the DJI Inspire and show then how they can kick their competition's a**? Let them try to make those old fashioned beast shoulder cameras illegal!!!

My 2c.
Drone IS an appropriate term.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj