Who Uses a Launching/Landing Pad?

Reaction score
I use a 2x2 foot wood panel that is slightly elevated when launching from a grassy area. A little bit of a challenge landing on it although no problems so far even though I have the VPS disabled. Considering hand-catching - haven't tried it yet.

I plan on using my Husky Box when out in the jeep as it has a nice flat top and is always in the jeep.

I use a 2x2 foot wood panel that is slightly elevated when launching from a grassy area. A little bit of a challenge landing on it although no problems so far even though I have the VPS disabled. Considering hand-catching - haven't tried it yet.
I recommend hand catching and releasing its, I started doing this after the first few times I had issues with dirt and scratching on the bottom. Also it's ten times faster to catch and release, protects from tipping over.

Most of the more experienced pilots hand catch .... Easy and clean. I launch from grass fields so don't need a launching platform.

Reactions: EnronCEO
Most of the more experienced pilots hand catch .... Easy and clean. I launch from grass fields so don't need a launching platform.
Sometimes even in grass it might get stuck on a root or something then bam! tip over. :eek: heartbreaking.

I use my case or backpack to launch.

I hand catch for landing, but word to the wise, be careful with low battery auto-land.

Reactions: snowghost
I just take off from my nice grassy yard except in winter snow then I use a plywood panel. I never take off from dirt or sand. They can play havoc with a small motor.

Reactions: Fplvert
I just take off from my nice grassy yard except in winter snow then I use a plywood panel. I never take off from dirt or sand. They can play havoc with a small motor.

Wise approach! Grass is the best launch pad.....the camera looks through the blades of grass before liftoff.....ants beware!

I always use one of the soft 3ft x 3ft exorcize pad with puzzle lock around outer edge. You never want to launch or land on the ground if you can keep from it. Way too much debre to in motors or internally.

The soft pad helps eliminate hard landings which steal life of your quad. If I wasn't such a freak on collecting data to the last second of the quad running, I would hand catch the quad each time.

I always use one of the soft 3ft x 3ft exorcize pad with puzzle lock around outer edge. You never want to launch or land on the ground if you can keep from it. Way too much debre to in motors or internally.

The soft pad helps eliminate hard landings which steal life of your quad. If I wasn't such a freak on collecting data to the last second of the quad running, I would hand catch the quad each time.

That's a good and inexpensive idea.

If the grass is to high and it hasn't been cut... I'll take the doormat from the front door and launch from that, then hand catch...

Had that happen to me once, had to over ride the throttle to keep it in the air, once my hand was on it i let go of the throttle and the bird thought it was on the ground, 3 seconds later motor shut down.
That's how it's done, my friend!

I had the auto land happen right as I was catching and thought the drone switched to kill human mode. I need to watch my 1 battery level.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Reed L

What color pad are you using

I've used a pad for the past three months. In fact I have two and keep one at each of my two locations so I don't have to travel with one. I find myself landing on a lot of different surfaces and it seemed that a pebble in the wrong place, a depression in a lawn or a number of other small things could upset the landing and tip the craft. I never had serious damage but lots of nicks on props. With the landing pad I'm sure I can land on a flat, level and stable surface every time.

The pad is a 2 x 2 piece of birch veneer plywood painted yellow. The center has a large 'H' and the outside edge of the square is a checkerboard pattern that I found on a roll of Duct tape. I'd include a picture but my cards are with my craft which is spending the night at a site I was shooting today. I posted it a few months ago so you may be able to find it.

Andrew

Forgot I had this in my office 15 feet away. Can yellow and black spray paint about $12. Roll of checkerboard tape about $5. Wooden 'H' used as a template $3. Plywood $5. Enough materials to build three of these plus the wood.

P1000761.JPG

What color pad are you using

It's black and I'm able to leave it outside all the time as it also serves as a wind block for where my cats like to lay on the deck at night.

I can't think of anything more perfect to launch and land from. Especially with it being real easy to transport when going to a different location.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31