who use http://flightradar24.com/?

it looks good to me, but i didn't know if ne1 else had experiences (good or bad) with it, of if there was better site to use

It is not real time, I believe there is a map delay. I see up to 20 minute delays sometimes.

Delays are minimal for most countries in Europe. They are much larger for US flights.
Try using their website instead of their app
Read their FAQ and ther How it works - Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

Flightradar24 only have coverage in areas where someone has installed an ADS-B receiver and feeds his/her data into Flightradar24. If there are no connected ABS-B receivers in an area, then there is no coverage in that area.

What is the difference between the yellow and the orange planes?
ADS-B and MLAT data that is processed in real time is shown with yellow aircraft symbols. FAA data that is processed with a 5 minute delay is shown with orange aircraft symbols. Please read How it works for information about how Flightradar24 works.

I have it. It's real time. I live on flight path to Heathrow and it's very accurate in my experience.

I have it. It's real time. I live on flight path to Heathrow and it's very accurate in my experience.
Likely hardware and country related.
Here in flight path towards Toronto I have seen them enter Class C airspace and they would have landed before the map had them circle for the active.

Keep in mind that is only aircraft who are "On the Radar". There is a lot more air traffic out there than what you're seeing on that Ap.

That was the limitation I found with it too. I then tried the iPad version of "Plane Finder" and a load more aircraft appeared, including small private stuff. Although I don't use it on a regular basis, as I don't fly high enough and usually in mountain valley areas, but my 9 year old grand-daughter loves it. She lives about 6 miles from Cardiff International Airport and she can get all the flight details of an aircraft flying overhead just by pointing her iPad at it. So, it must be pretty close to a live data feed, as she can obviously see the plane as it appears in the app the same time. There is a free version of the app to try, but I've not used it so don't know about any potential limitations.

Plane Finder – Live Flight Status Tracker

Reactions: BigAl07
Keep in mind that is only aircraft who are "On the Radar". There is a lot more air traffic out there than what you're seeing on that Ap.
Exactly.
in fact there are two major flight training areas on the line I mentioned. In fact I did my Transport Canada flight training in that same area near my residence.
Only the squawkers at 6500 ft at the outside edge AND inside the Class C are visible on their radar map. The POPO helo and bush pilots don't show.

In my part of town, Long Beach, CA., the web version is pretty accurate time wise. I can watch planes take off from Long Beach then go out side and they will be a little ahead of the map. LBPD and the Sheriffs Heli's show up on the site as well. Not sure about LAPD, I have not seen them show up yet. I assumed the Heli's show up because of all the airports around, 6 in my immediate area. I use it on my iPad Air while I'm flying just as another tool to be safe.

It depends on how close to the airport and how high with regards to the Airspace Class when it comes to lower craft like helos.

In see the same thing as you. Helos way out my way don't show at 1000 ft yet the helos close to Toronto show up at that and lower.

Reactions: scottcim
This is not a good tool. It is subject to delays and many types of flight are not shown.

That only shows IFR traffic. It doesn't show VFR aircraft.
It better if they are in the Class of Airspace that requires it AND ask permission to enter it.
At least here I have to have Mode C, a radio, permission and squawk. In a small area I can cut thru but I can't get Special VFR thru the center most part.

Do you mean FT24 only tracks certain squawk codes/type?

Last edited:
Preflight I looked at the screen and there was nothing anywhere near me. I went up a couple hundred feet and had to decend as fast as I could for a large military helicopter. So the Flightradar is useless. I did see police and the news helicopters on the screen . But you can not depend on it at all.

Preflight I looked at the screen and there was nothing anywhere near me. I went up a couple hundred feet and had to decend as fast as I could for a large military helicopter. So the Flightradar is useless. I did see police and the news helicopters on the screen . But you can not depend on it at all.
It's good for high flying jets but very poor for the kinds of aircraft that are much more likely to be encountered by drone flyers.

Reactions: DigitalSkyPilot
Whether you use the app or the device, you are only going to see data for planes using an ADS-B beacon.
And that leaves a lot of planes that are "flying below the radar" that you'd never know about.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj