Who loves their P4? And why?

I have all 4 of the phantoms, all still working and all good in their own way. The p4 is an outstanding piece of kit. For my use it is almost perfect in all respects. So good that I doubt I will upgrade in the future, unless there is a big leap forward in the camera department.

20 minute plus flight time, over a mile in range, sits in the sky like it's glued there and circa 50mph on tap in s mode. What's not to love.

It seems like over 90% of the haters are people who do not own one.
I'm not so sure. I'm not in love with my P4, but I don't hate it. I fly my P3P more than my P4. I love my P3P, always have. I believe those that know the potential of Lightbridge by owning a P3P are the ones that are most disappointed, simply because P4 doesn't have the same range and solid signal integrity. My P4 loses control and/or video signal at 3000 to 4000' all the time, and I'm using a windsurfer too. My P3P never loses signal until I'm past 2 miles with windsurfer. It's just disappointing the P4 range sucks in comparison to P3P. Setting the P4 up with 4mbps transmission quality bit rate helps a lot, but it's still not performing like my trusty P3P.

P4 pilots that didn't own P3P/P3A previously won't know the difference and will be happy with P4. However, P4 does excel in many other ways, but in ways I could care less, such as Tap Fly and Active track. As for Object Avoidance, it will come in handy at times, but I'll use it less than 5% of the time, simply because it's too slow in OA mode. The P4 mechanical design is awesome, much stronger body shell, more efficient aerodynamically, and better looking IMO.

If a P5 used the same mechanical design with same larger battery used in P4 today, and did not include Active track, Tap Fly, Object Avoidance and simply had the same Lightbridge that DJI introduced a year ago in P3, along with a better camera, THAT WOULD BE A PRODUCT I'D BUY TODAY. No fluff or bloatware, just a good bird that flies well. However I would like a throttle limiter to help prevent props from getting in the view. DJI's statement about motors being mounted higher to prevent props in the video is a joke, and the jokes on us.

Last edited:
I just got a P4 and its my first real kit. I had a Quadrone before and learned how to control. I did my research and I can say that this is a truly amazing machine. Very easy to fly! I'm getting used to the app and functions. I'm very pleased with the purchase and feel it is worth every penny!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Sandar and Ramphex
I'm not so sure. I'm not in love with my P4, but I don't hate it. I fly my P3P more than my P4. I love my P3P, always have. I believe those that know the potential of Lightbridge by owning a P3P are the ones that are most disappointed, simply because P4 doesn't have the same range and solid signal integrity. My P4 loses control and/or video signal at 3000 to 4000' all the time, and I'm using a windsurfer too. My P3P never loses signal until I'm past 2 miles with windsurfer. It's just disappointing the P4 range sucks in comparison to P3P. Setting the P4 up with 4mbps transmission quality bit rate helps a lot, but it's still not performing like my trusty P3P.

P4 pilots that didn't own P3P/P3A previously won't know the difference and will be happy with P4. However, P4 does excel in many other ways, but in ways I could care less, such as Tap Fly and Active track. As for Object Avoidance, it will come in handy at times, but I'll use it less than 5% of the time, simply because it's too slow in OA mode. The P4 mechanical design is awesome, much stronger body shell, more efficient aerodynamically, and better looking IMO.

If a P5 used the same mechanical design with same larger battery used in P4 today, and did not include Active track, Tap Fly, Object Avoidance and simply had the same Lightbridge that DJI introduced a year ago in P3, along with a better camera, THAT WOULD BE A PRODUCT I'D BUY TODAY. No fluff or bloatware, just a good bird that flies well. However I would like a throttle limiter to help prevent props from getting in the view. DJI's statement about motors being mounted higher to prevent props in the video is a joke, and the jokes on us.

I only see props in sport mode full speed.

Hmm good point, something simple and never thought about it... but then again I never record video in sport mode, I'm sure I will at some point and then I can use this camera drop idea

I love my P4. I am enjoying every minute of flying and can't wait to master Litchi, shoot and edit first movie etc. Ignorance is bliss I guess not having owned a previous quad for comparison purposes. The P4 is certainly an aircraft that can be used by a novice - as long as there's some education and common sense involved. It's an exhilarating learning curve to be honest.

stay on subject peeps....I dont care if you dont like the 4 or it doesnt do everything you expected or compare it to a 3. We already know from countless post about the range and batteries.

Last edited:
Lets hear it.
It is the best camera I have ever had. I am just starting to shoot d-log and do color grading in post. I am loving the results, and I am sure it is helping me make some of the best video I have ever made.
I just shot this yesterday:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It still needs work. I need more practice flying. But I'm so impressed to be getting even these results this quickly. I've been sort of concentrating on having short, successful flights!

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Has anyone noticed that the P4 seems to keep a memory / cache of objects it detects? It may be very small and therefore useless outside--so far I have only flown outdoors when it was dark so I haven't tested it. But indoors after yawing 360 degrees I discovered I couldn't fly backwards or sideways towards a wall less than around 6 feet away, even though it was not in view of the cameras. Has anyone else noticed this? I had ZERO satellite locks at the time too.

It is the best camera I have ever had. I am just starting to shoot d-log and do color grading in post. I am loving the results, and I am sure it is helping me make some of the best video I have ever made.
I just shot this yesterday:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It still needs work. I need more practice flying. But I'm so impressed to be getting even these results this quickly. I've been sort of concentrating on having short, successful flights!
Nice logo work there, may I ask what program you used to create that?

stay on subject peeps....I dont care if you dont like the 4 or it doesnt do everything you expected or compare it to a 3. We already know from countless post about the range and batteries.

I didn't see anything off topic. I am considering buying a P4 and find info like this very valuable. You are bound to like it if you have never flown anything else. Feedback from people who own several DJIs is very interesting.
And nobody said they didn't like it!

Has anyone noticed that the P4 seems to keep a memory / cache of objects it detects? It may be very small and therefore useless outside--so far I have only flown outdoors when it was dark so I haven't tested it. But indoors after yawing 360 degrees I discovered I couldn't fly backwards or sideways towards a wall less than around 6 feet away, even though it was not in view of the cameras. Has anyone else noticed this? I had ZERO satellite locks at the time too.

I rilly hope ur right about ur finding. I will test it out wen i fly next n hope it wont crash.

Reactions: isopro
I like mine because it flys smoother and better than my p3p

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31