Who is going to Shoot the Moon Sunday Night

Reaction score
With the Blood Moon Lunar Eclipse going on Sunday night I was wondering if anyone else is going to shoot it. I am thinking of going out to the Dry lake Bed and see if I can get some good shots. What would be some good settings to try. Both Video and Stills. Thanks

It's a waste of time to use the Phantom to photograph the moon.
It will show as a small bright smudge.
Use a real camera with a tele lens if you want photos of the moon

It sounds great on paper...no I will enjoy with binos.
Unless you can find a great foreground it just looks like a basketball, that's with regular equipment.

Good question..

I may set up on the balcony with the Nikon D800 and try my Nikkor 80-400mm but pretty sure my Nikkor 24-120mm will be plenty reach enough for this close moon phase. I like looking at the bright red moon, but will miss the first part of this full lunar eclipse as our Sun star will still be setting here.

RedHotPoker

Been needing a reason to use my new Sony 55-200mm with teleconverter. Between the zoom factor of the teleconverter and crop factor of the sensor, it's basically a 600mm lense.

I think my dad will be breaking out his 8" Meade and Nikon, but neither of us has done much night time photography lately, so no telling how it comes out.

I usually prefer to shoot with no moon...
10647161_10103122479068781_2550314256498993161_n.jpg

Reactions: SENC
Gee I wonder, When it gets to the full moon~total eclipse, will I have to turn on the speed light?. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Gonna get out the DSLR and the Tamron 150-600 and get some static video and stills. PWX-X70 for time lapse. Blood moons are so stunning!

Sent from my PT beating heart

I'm planning on going out with my DSLR, but would have to agree that the Phantom won't catch a whole lot other than a little bright spot. That being said, I may not be able to resist trying.

Here's a shot from the last [partial] lunar eclipse at 81mm:
16824036747_ecd8493001_k.jpg

So I am busting out the Meade 9" SCT on a Meade tracking mount, gonna strap my Sony A-700 on an accessory mount on the mount.

Right now I am going flying to shoot the Moon! see if I can get any kind of usable exposure. Got my gimble set to go full up deflection. Will work out the exposures at about 400 AGL.

Funny you cant set the Moon as a POI.

lol

what is the best video settings for night time shooting?

3am in the UK so it might be too much to ask. But if I can stay awake and we have clear skies, I will have a go with my Sony A55, 300mm telephoto and x2 converter. Plus tripod of course.

I used this setup to capture the last solar eclipse in March, although the settings were at the opposite extreme to bring the light down.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443253604.788767.jpg

Last edited:
I'm planning on going out with my DSLR, but would have to agree that the Phantom won't catch a whole lot other than a little bright spot. That being said, I may not be able to resist trying.

Here's a shot from the last [partial] lunar eclipse at 81mm:
16824036747_ecd8493001_k.jpg

This was exactly what I was talking about.... If you can't find a good foreground the images come out like a school project. That's a really nice shot Kevin. Thumbs up man.

Here's a couple from tonight.

Considering it was a 30 - 35 kph wind and I'm photography illiterate, I thought the Phantom did well.

Attachments

• DJI_0009.JPG
    DJI_0009.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 491
  • DJI_0018.JPG
    DJI_0018.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 378
Didn't try the P3 but shot a little footage with My Sony EX1, 3 hours in 20 seconds, 1 shot every 20 seconds, 64 images per shot. Clouds and resetting the mount a bit distracting, will see if I can improve it in post when I get the chance.

Raw:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers