Who got one for Christmas? Who lost one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a MP today...but I already crashed it....on its first flight, nonetheless. I was in a hurry to leave with my family to the in-law's for Christmas dinner, but I wanted to run my battery down before we left.(I always make a point of using charged batteries right after they are full) I would have liked more time to check settings, especially for the first flight, but like I said, I was in a hurry.

I flew it out about a mile away over a golf course to a water tower in an attempt to circle it. I made it around, but instantly lost contact. The line of sight was probably the main reason, but I still think the cell tower, disguised a tree, interfered with the signal contributing to the signal loss. Well, it went into RTH, and it flew right into the water tower. OA was on, but I think it couldn't discern it due to it being large, white and featureless.

I know everything that caused me to do this super boneheaded act, but the first reason that set everything else in motion was me being in a big hurry to get that first flight over to run the battery down. Next "first flight", I will take my time even thought I'm experienced with my P4 and by watching countless drone flying/training videos.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!!

Sorry for the loss. Bet the dinner was not as good as it could have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ftttu
I got a MP today...but I already crashed it....on its first flight, nonetheless. I was in a hurry to leave with my family to the in-law's for Christmas dinner, but I wanted to run my battery down before we left.(I always make a point of using charged batteries right after they are full) I would have liked more time to check settings, especially for the first flight, but like I said, I was in a hurry.

I flew it out about a mile away over a golf course to a water tower in an attempt to circle it. I made it around, but instantly lost contact. The line of sight was probably the main reason, but I still think the cell tower, disguised a tree, interfered with the signal contributing to the signal loss. Well, it went into RTH, and it flew right into the water tower. OA was on, but I think it couldn't discern it due to it being large, white and featureless.

I know everything that caused me to do this super boneheaded act, but the first reason that set everything else in motion was me being in a big hurry to get that first flight over to run the battery down. Next "first flight", I will take my time even thought I'm experienced with my P4 and by watching countless drone flying/training videos.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!!

And this is what happens folks when you FBVLOS.

I honestly have no sympathy for you. Flying in this manner should not be tolerated on any level. Thank goodness nothing bad happened.

Is all good, sounds like you learned from the experience. You don’t need a tongue lashing from this group. Hoping you at least got it back for parts.

I got a new P4P for Christmas, riskiest thing I’ve done is do all the updates. (Which we all know is pretty risky)

Hoping to do a parking lot sized fly, in beginners mode and geo fence myself to a few 100 ft each direction for extra safety.

Happy holidays

And this is what happens folks when you FBVLOS.

I honestly have no sympathy for you. Flying in this manner should not be tolerated on any level. Thank goodness nothing bad happened.
Thanks for your non-sympathy, and criticize away. I'm fully aware of the things that went wrong during this flight. My take on this is that this is what can happen if you rush, causing a failure in better judgement. Just like actual experienced aircraft pilots who may have flown countless hours without an accident, I'm sure there are many of them in an early grave after having rushed through their pre-flights against their better judgment.

Mike H and bhartwell, yes, I recovered it, and it is on its way back to DJI. We will see if it can be repaired, but it may not so I'm hoping they offer me a good deal on a refurbished bird-only deal if they can't. The dinner was good, but of course, the loss of my bird weighed heavily on my mind.

Thanks for your non-sympathy, and criticize away. I'm fully aware of the things that went wrong during this flight. My take on this is that this is what can happen if you rush, causing a failure in better judgement. Just like actual experienced aircraft pilots who may have flown countless hours without an accident, I'm sure there are many of them in an early grave after having rushed through their pre-flights against their better judgment.

Yes, I recovered it, and it is on its way back to DJI. We will see if it can be repaired, but it may not so I'm hoping they offer me a good deal on a refurbished bird-only deal if they can't.
As in any accident, 2 or more mistakes caused this. Had you been flying with in FAA regulation, this would have never happened. Rushing was not the cause of this mishap. FBVLOS was what caused this and had you been able to see your craft you could have taken appropriate action to prevent it.

Reactions: Michael Humphrey
As in any accident, 2 or more mistakes caused this. Had you been flying with in FAA regulation, this would have never happened. Rushing was not the cause of this mishap. FBVLOS was what caused this and had you been able to see your craft you could have taken appropriate action to prevent it.
I did not fly beyond line of sight as you are saying, however, I did fly fpv during the entire short flight since I mostly fly line of sight when I'm coming in for a landing. The water tower is a prominent feature on the horizon since I live on a golf course, which I fly over regularly.

As I have said, my rushing to get the battery run down got the ball rolling on the doomed flight. There is no denying the basic rules were not followed, but again, the outcome would not have been the same on a flight where I had taken my time. Anyone can take what they want from this, but I'm putting it out there for people to not go against their better judgement and to take their time - following of the rules is a given.

Whoa!! You can see a MP a mile away? Whoa!!

BYW When you have your googles on, your still FBVLOS. Unless of course you have a spotter.

So did your spotter see the MP a mile away??

I think we can learn from the mistakes of others. Bashing cuts down on learning opportunities. Many new flyers will not try the around the tower maneuver now. Lay down your arms please.
Nope. I’m on a mission. I will cut down any behavior that has to do with FBVLOS and make it known for everyone to see. When there’s proof, I’ll report them.

There’s absolutely nothing cool about FBVLOS, yet some of the ignorance is still fouling the parade.

Whoa!! You can see a MP a mile away? Whoa!!

BYW When you have your googles on, your still FBVLOS. Unless of course you have a spotter.

So did your spotter see the MP a mile away??
Sounds like someone got a lump of coal in their stocking. This was my loss and not anyone else's.

Again, the water tower is a prominent fixture on my horizon and is not beyond my line of site. I fly mainly FPV unless I'm coming in for a landing. I flew this flight FPV line of sight, even though I probably could have visually followed it to about 3,000' like I can with my P4.

Your attempt at trying to draw blood may be applauded by others, but I post in good faith. I could have kept quiet about this flight, but I put it out there, not for sympathy, but for an example of what not to do. I can see you gigging me for not following the rules or for telling others to follow the rules while I don't follow them myself, but trying to go the extra mile in an attempt to make me cower away in disgrace, I won't.

I'm a retired LEO, and I've given an untold number of verbal warnings on law violations. I could have taken more people to jail and wrote far more citations than I did in my career, but I believe my approach served the public better than being a robot-minded law enforcer.

*** Thread Closed ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20