Who can use 640x480 30FPS in DJI App.. possible fix

Reaction score
As per topic... previously when I selected best of the 4 settings for "preview quality" in DJI App settings it would freeze straight up.
I am curious who can do use it without issues? doesn't count if it works until you fly 30 feet away :p

I used to just use the lowest setting...320x240 15 FPS and it was fine, but crap quality.. obviously download videos is 100000000 times better..

I am using a samsung S5 so no phone processing power issues.

Anyways reason I am asking is... I have seen in heaps of posts MOST people can't use that setting as it freezes up and is just unusable...
I am still using 3.06 and had that issue up until recently.

I have made a few changes to the wifi settings in the Linux/wifi module of the Phantom and am now able to use 640x480 @ 30fps without any freezes or issues...
More than happy to tell everyone how I did it.... but don't want to waste my time with a write up if everyone is using it and it was just me who had issues lol..

So post up your experience with 640x480 @ 30fps... if it is still a common problem I'll post up detailed instructions on the changes I made. You will need some linux experience... well its preffered.

BTW!!! Does anyone know if its possible to reset phantom wifi module back to factory settings ?? Secret button some where ? I have not screwed mine lol, works fine... but just wondering if its possible.. or does it involve a trick to hong kong :/

I recently read on the RE there is a button that resets... does that reset to factory specs ???

Would be great to get confirmation on above 2 questions... incase someone does screw up wifi module making a change.

I would love to be able to use high quality. Currently I use 15fps with a WIFI booster app. This gives me usable quality but still not a huge range.

I for one would appreciate knowing what changes you made to improve quality.

Bed time, but will do a write up tomorrow when I get back.

Must advise... unless you can reset wifi module somehow... if you make a mistake it could mean sending back to DJI... Hopefully Burlbark (sp??) or Hunch (sp again lol??) or anyone might know if its possible to reset the module back to factory... I'm guessing not, as not alot of room on wifi module for storage to keep base install/factory settings...

But yeah... will do tomorrow and hopefully help a few others..

BTW One thing to verify... Do you know what wifi channel your phantom connects on ? If you install 'wifi analzyer' (on android) it will tell you the channel.

Its wierd... default channels are crap channels, not the normal 1, 6 or 11.... Sometimes simple channel change can do it... But I'll describe how to do that and some other changes tomorrow; However I believe some apps can do a channel change, but then you need to do it each time you startup... In my write up will be perm settings.

bed awaits.

Bed awaits for me too.
I have raised the same issue before in regards to preview quality. My previous module could never output 640x480@30fps. It died in the *** after I left in the warm car. My replacement however does 640*480@30fps up to 200m. I did the artic silver on my replacement to prevent the early life failure.

I'm intrigued on your coding. Is this essentially the same as the FPV booster app but permanent?

I have the same fps issues.

I have used the Vision+ Utility app to change the repeater channel and to set & reset password security. Even boosting the camera and repeater to the highest settings didn't help the fps problem. By the way, will changing the settings (in the Utility App) back to "factory" undo the mod you've made (in case its needed)?

Paul

2.10am atm... so abit hazey and can't sleep... no coding... just modified some of the wifi config...
however for my TX power settings are permanant (but thats something else.. can include details on that to) But increasing TX power doesn't really help much in this scenario (well maybe it does a little) but previously I couldn't get 640x480 to work from 2 feet away lol.... and increasing TX didn't do anything to help there, and if it did people would be able to get higher resolution using app.. but I never could.... so nah just playing around with some other config to do with wifi.

Anyways shall share the configs after work tomorrow... Nothing to exciting.. and no promises it will work for all... but will give all details on how to login, what to modify etc... 2 minute job for someone familiar with vi/linux.
Can only try.. and worse can, either keep updated wifi settings, or revert back.. either or.. just modifying a couple of lines of config in the Linux backend (wifi module in Phantom)..

Was actually quite impressed with the quality diff on my S5 at 640x480 @ 30 FPS... much better clarity... almost makes it useful to look at lol..

Mako79 said:
Bed awaits for me too.
I have raised the same issue before in regards to preview quality. My previous module could never output 640x480@30fps. It died in the *** after I left in the warm car. My replacement however does 640*480@30fps up to 200m. I did the artic silver on my replacement to prevent the early life failure.

I'm intrigued on your coding. Is this essentially the same as the FPV booster app but permanent?

Would reaaaallly love if someone knew the answers to the reseting wifi module/RE questions I had to :) ??? Just on a side note lol.

FYI Paul... I am not sure about NEW versions of the booster apps (probs exact same as old versions seems wifi module is not firmware updated) but vision utility plus for e.g only runs 1 basic command each time you enable it to set power levels... that won't interfere with what I am suggesting to change... My changes will be permanant, where as booster app TX power config is lost after reset.. Easy to undo the changes I will suggest though.. only like 2 or so lines/variables I guess you could call them.

Would write it up now... but need to be very careful... you accidently mistype something, cat walks on keyboard and does soemthing... and wifi module might not come back up...... I'll just copy/paste my few lines of config with description of what its doing and file its in etc etc... and what everyones will look like before/after..

but yeah would love to figure out if you can factory reset wifi module incase someone does make a mistake or pesky cat walks on keyboard... could be a case of either buying new wifi module or sending it back to China (not if you follow guide... just if pesky cat is involved!)

BTW Kinda hoping Burlbark or Hunch and co might chime in and give there opinion on extra heat doing the highest resolution might add to the wifi....
I've just tested for 6 batteries worth and got pretty long distance in HUGELY wifi populated suburbian area's (like 15-20 other AP's popping up)
Don't really want to be responsible for killing everyones wifi module :)

The wifi repeater has a reset button next to the power switch, but I have no Iidea about the internal wifi, the one that hoverheats and dies.
I would love to get out of 320 mushy view.
Thanks

I'd be interested in your solution. Do really believe a software change will resolve the issue? Could it be that simple?

My channel yesterday was 7. I believe the wifi extender sets the channel during the binding process, based on congestion during that process. I have seen mine change channels after re-bind every time that I can recall. Of course that's the only time I check for the any channel change...

FWIW, I had 640x480 @30fps last weekend, rock solid. This is after HunterSK had pointed out the GPS connector pins were not making proper contact to the board's pins. Bending the contacts fingers in the plug's terminals. Now after further meddling, I'm back down to 640x480 @15fps. Even did the foil mod to implement others successes. Still the same, however I still have 11 sats with no drop when recording.

Not wanting to stomp on your offering, but I think the video issue is related to a bad connection emitting RF/EMI from any number of connections. As an example, I got improved GPS by raising the cover a 1/4" off the body. IMHO, the distance changed how the internal RF was interacting.

Personally, I'm tired of dealing with the issue and just living with 640x480 @15fps. Could be worse, but I want to fly without worrying something else is going to happen. Again, I'm interested in your solution. I hate having to settle for what it is...

Hmm wierd if its phone dependant. I can watch 4k videos and do 15 other multitask bits and pieces at same time...

Anyways after changing srtting on phantom its working for me so I can't see how its phone dependant....obvioualy somehow helps.... hmmmmm.. well maybe if your phones are connecting at 300mbit/s wireless but doubt they would without you modding the crap outa Phamtom...and also again mine runs at around 120mbit/s +/- wifi and thats to RE 2inch away.

That is very interesting though. Perhaps someone else can provide theories on that... ??

If your iphone/droid can tell you speed you connect at (think android) does would be interested to hear your connection rates.

Amyways will give post up info tonight and hopefully help few other people get it going.

Juat saw your reply Rich... I didnt secure my GPS plug nor have I adjusted my foil mod in 3 months.And better resolution only started working recemtly when I spent hours changing wifi settings doing trial and error... I suspect you are partially right and shielding etc etc will come into play to some degree and pretty sure it wont work for everyone.. but hopefully most.. some might need other settings etc...

My use case is one of the worst.. as I said earlier my flying field is sourounded in a crapload of other wifi...

Good news is we made changes to mate from here Tezza and he can do 640x480 @ 30fps now on his S4...

Best case we all work together with our diff knowledge and skillsets and piece it together and get it going for majority.

Its funny cause I never really cared. Gotten used to flying with crapest resolution.. i think without ipad/mini or tablet its still to small but nice little improvememt... and costs $0 to try... well unless ppl F it up and have to send back to DJI lol :(

Worst casw it just works for me and Tezza and I look stooooopid :)

Ive done artic silver mod to wifi and drilled speed holes lol but I am worried I have no idea if extra resolution can cause iverheating though(had mine perm set to 17dm TX pwr for 3-4 months now tho and no issues in that regard atleast). will be disclaimers in thread later :)

Am going to work on a linux script at work today to take a backup of wifi settings...then you make changes than if wifi does not come backup it will auto revert to working wifi so you dont brick the wifi module... any Linux exp folk wont need that... but folks who want to try my suggestions will want that as safety net.

PRETTY STUPID WE NEED TO RESORT TO DOING THIS FPR FEATURES BUILT INTO APP!!! @DJI REPRESEMTATIVES ON FORUM (Yeah right :/)

I'll give it a try Justin. I have a reserved wifi module and extender new in the box to resolve if YOU mess it up....;)

pittsy said:
I use 640x480 at 30fps and it works perfectly. iPhone 6+

AmosMoses said:
I use 640x480 @30fps on my droid ultra HD without issues.

What version Vision Plus do you guys have? Any chance they are the upgraded wifi modules with the vented holes?

justin00 said:
BTW Kinda hoping Burlbark or Hunch and co might chime in and give there opinion on extra heat doing the highest resolution might add to the wifi....
I've just tested for 6 batteries worth and got pretty long distance in HUGELY wifi populated suburbian area's (like 15-20 other AP's popping up)
Don't really want to be responsible for killing everyones wifi module :)

I would not be afraid to run the highest settings if you have done the Arctic Silver heat sink mods. I have several hundred hours on my wifi unit and no failure. This is with no motors running, bench testing repaired gimbals.

On another note I have opened up 40 or so wifi units and found no thermal compound on most of the wifi's bottom processor and zero thermal compound on the final output amplifiers. The newer wifi units have a thermal pad on the bottom processor and it appears to do the job just fine. However I would still recommend, especially for those running higher resolution, that you apply thermal compound to the final stage amplifiers. I have seen too many discolored cases above these components on failed units.

Jeremy James

I have never owned a vPlus that would display 640x480 at 30fps after 30ft before dropping out after the v3.0 firmware came out. Bottom line is, the vPlus was a much better quad prior to the v3.0. We have since been forced to deal with it. They would take something good away on a firmware update, and then make us think we were getting a awesome feature of something in return. This is one reason why those of us that have been around a minute or two do not get in any hurry when a new firmware comes out. If you have any faith to put into it, put it into those who have been creating new apps for our quad. We will have a much better chance of having a quad that we will enjoy flying with these guys.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik