Which would use more power - ATTI or GPS mode?

Reaction score
In terms of long distance flying, which of the following would use more power?

A) ATTI Mode - this flies faster so you would reach your max destination quicker (say when FPV or Tx is lost) and therefore would be back home quicker too, but you would also have to maintain height with a constant push, all of which results in the motors spinning faster and using the battery quicker. Would this be offset with doing the distance quicker though?

B) GPS Mode - constant 30ish mph, takes longer, uses less battery though.

Do the two equal each other out?

Mine with latest firmware doesn't seem to fly any different speed from GPS to ATTI.

But the fact its not always trying to correct itself would make me think ATTI should do better on battery.

With mine (on the latest firmware too), when I flip the S1 switch to the middle for ATTI I hear an increase in the motor sound and see a speed gain of around 10mph.

I'd think power useage depends on flying style or manuevers made.

There's no difference in terms of the mode itself as the GPS module remains fully powered at all times, but Atti. mode allows greater pitch and roll angles enabling higher speed so if flying in sort of a 'Sport" style or fashion it would seem logical Atti. uses more power.

lsteigerwalt said:
Yes I can tell you for a fact atti uses more power. Having to increase throttle to maintain altitude sucks up the power.

sorry that doesn't make sense, it requires the same trust to maintain a hover no matter if GPS-Atti or Atti only mode and there is no change in motor speed when these two modes are toggled in between.
It is said that a multirotor is more efficient with horizontal movement vs. if just in a hover however there is also aerodynamic drag and more energy is required the faster you go therefore you're likely using more energy for a given distance if going faster.

Panamon Creel said:
lsteigerwalt said:
Yes I can tell you for a fact atti uses more power. Having to increase throttle to maintain altitude sucks up the power.

sorry that doesn't make sense, it requires the same trust to maintain a hover no matter if GPS-Atti or Atti only mode and there is no change in motor speed when these two modes are toggled in between.
It is said that a multirotor is more efficient with horizontal movement vs. if just in a hover however there is also aerodynamic drag and more energy is required the faster you go therefore you're likely using more energy for a given distance if going faster.

While it may take the same amount of thrust to keep it in the air, in GPS mode the amount needed is being regulated by the flight controller not the pilot. We are no where near as efficient as the flight controller in smooth throttle adjustments...wouldnt you agree? Same reason why cruise control on flat ground will give better gas mileage than driving with your foot.

Isteigerwalt , flying style just like driving style is here more at issue for energy usage than GPS-Atti vs. Atti only mode. Sudden huge corrections will be less efficient than slow minute corrections so take it easy on the sticks ( or the accelerator pedal :) ) and you won't notice any significant difference in energy usage.

I have found that Atti is more economical based on flying at a similar speed. I think as others have said, it is due to the lesser corrections from the flight controller.

Flying at 15 mph or so is far more efficient than hovering in terms of power. You get an aerodynamic lift off the blades, so less power is required.

My quad will do 11 m/s in GPS and 23 m/s in Atti on a calm day and somewhat more in a stiff breeze :)

So we have one that says Atti only mode uses more than GPS-Atti mode and one that says the opposite :D
Too bad the DJI app doesn't show realtime actual current draw and lacks a logging function to maybe get some facts on this.

Panamon Creel said:
So we have one that says Atti only mode uses more than GPS-Atti mode and one that says the opposite :D
Too bad the DJI app doesn't show realtime actual current draw and lacks a logging function to maybe get some facts on this.

No, I have not said it does or it doesn't as I have never tested it.
I have said what I would expect FWIW.

Not talking about you N017RW, I left out the ones with guesses ;)
One said as a fact Atti uses more, the other one had found that Atti is more economical. Two opposed practical findings that are written in a fact like statement wouldn't you say?

Panamon Creel said:

Oooh good idea Panamon Creel....

That may go on my list of attempted mods for the app... I bet the software does get the integer value and converts it to apply to the relevant battery level icon! :D

ilovecoffee said:
Panamon Creel said:

Oooh good idea Panamon Creel....

That may go on my list of attempted mods for the app... I bet the software does get the integer value and converts it to apply to the relevant battery level icon! :D

Well the info is there since you can get it when you connect with the assistant software which I guess it gets from the battery smartbus com port

The OP's question was as follows...

which uses more battery power....atti and fast or GPS and slow...
Based on those parameters alone...my thinking is that Atti and fast will always use more power than GPS and slow. If anything for the simple fact that you have to apply throttle to attempt to keep the bird in the air when you are flying flat out in Atti mode and in GPS mode the flight controller wont allow it to pitch hard enough that it needs all the throttle. I agree with every theory/suggestion that is being offered...they are all good points but we got off the original question and the original conditions he was applying. But Im not always known to be right :) just ask my wife!!!

Meh...

GPS at 30MPH is about max. due to the pitch and roll angles being further reduced as compared to Atti.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20