Which Futaba and ...?

Reaction score
OK... I have the bug quite bad now for flying the P2... But I need some more granularity and confidence in the TX unit controls. (for filming)...

So, I'm looking at getting a Futaba of some sort. Therein lies the question(s).

I'd like to get the least expensive one that can control the Zen gimbal.

Do I need to mod the P2 Rx or other electronics? I'd rather not...

Any input appreciated....

The ones that I hear of being used with the Phantom are, from least to most expensive, the T8J, T8FGS, are T14SG. They come with a Futaba RX. Not required on the P2 as it is compatible with Futaba RCs but I would upgrade it.

ianwood said:
The ones that I hear of being used with the Phantom are, from least to most expensive, the T8J, T8FGS, are T14SG.

Thanks, again!

Now, I just have to find out if any mods to the P2 are needed...

Cor Brink said:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3931&hilit=14sg

Thanks, Cor.!

do you know if the receiver on the P2 needs the mod as well?

the T8J is probably the cheapest one to get into that has 8 channels.
..but def consider the higher end models, which can bind to the Phantom 2 Rx without having to install the Futaba Rx apparently.

The D/R Expo's are great to have in the Futaba's,. softens up all the controls as much as you'd like.

Gizmo3000 said:
the T8J is probably the cheapest one to get into that has 8 channels.
..but def consider the higher end models, which can bind to the Phantom 2 Rx without having to install the Futaba Rx apparently.

The D/R Expo's are great to have in the Futaba's,. softens up all the controls as much as you'd like.

Thanks, Gizmo!

I did some reading on d/r and exponential systems. Yep. Seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Especially for a rookie like me. My wallet may disagree. ..

Now to find out which ones will work without modding the P2....Progress! :shock:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

I've just replaced the stock Tx / Rx with a Futaba 8J with a R2008SB Receiver. It's fairly easy to do so if you want any help, give me a shout.

I've written a guide for replacing the Rx and configuring the Tx. You can find it here
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7688

skeeter said:
Now to find out which ones will work without modding the P2....Progress! :shock:

I believe that any of the Futaba FASST systems should work with stock P2 Receiver. Just remember that you don't gain any additional channels though if you choose to keep the P2 Receiver.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/air.html

+1 on 8J

skeeter said:
Cor Brink said:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3931&hilit=14sg

Thanks, Cor.!

do you know if the receiver on the P2 needs the mod as well?

It depends what you want to do. If you want a replacement for your white DJI Tx then all you need to do is bind the P2 Rx with your Futaba Tx. The P2 Rx is a Futaba product anyway.

If you want a bit more, slowing down your yaw, better gimbal control, extra failsafe etc it's probably better to change the P2 Rx with a Futaba Fasstest Rx. This will also give you your main power back to Tx and very handy.

Anyway, whats the purpose of changing the Tx without changing the Rx?

This is precisely the information I'm looking for. Thank you all.!

@goldfishrock:

I'll be pulling the trigger soon. I'd be happy to "beta test" your procedure.

Time for some more research. I'll be back with some more questions soon. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

OK...

I'm looking hard at the Futaba 14SGH 2.4GHZ R7008SB ....Ultimately, I'd like some aircraft telemetry sent back to the Futaba. With additional modules, I think this will work.

Goldfishrock: will the R7008SB work with your procedure?

Reputable dealers?

Thoughts?

and this: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6205

skeeter said:
OK...

I'm looking hard at the Futaba 14SGH 2.4GHZ R7008SB ....Ultimately, I'd like some aircraft telemetry sent back to the Futaba. With additional modules, I think this will work.

Reputable dealers?

Thoughts?

and this: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6205

Just bind it with 14CH Fasstest and not 12 or Multi.
I use LD for gimbal control, it's a lot smoother than LS.
You can also change your throttle stick to center like the P2 radio and is nice because you don't have to worry about throttle when at altitude.

skeeter said:
will the R7008SB work with your procedure?

I would imagine so as it's a standard S-Bus connection to the P2. The majority of the configuration takes place on the Tx Handset... I'm writing it for the 8J so I can't say if it will work for other Futaba Tx. I would think most of it would translate across one way or another.

I will try and finish it in the next day or so before posting it.

goldfishrock said:
I would imagine so as it's a standard S-Bus connection to the P2. The majority of the configuration takes place on the Tx Handset... I'm writing it for the 8J so I can't say if it will work for other Futaba Tx. I would think most of it would translate across one way or another.

Mine (T8FGS RX) was plug and play. Believe it's exactly the same for the 14SG. Just remove the old one, place the new one, route the antennas, connect the SBUS wire (remove the other wire to the Naza) and you're done.

NOTE: I had to take mine out of the plastic shell to get it to fit on the same side as the stock RX without touching the Naza. The other side I have the iOSD and FPV TX underneath. You can see it here from my post on the CAN bus connector:

CAN-bus-termination.jpg

Cor Brink said:
skeeter said:
OK...

Reputable dealers?

Thoughts?

and this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6205

You can also change your throttle stick to center like the P2 radio and is nice because you don't have to worry about throttle when at altitude.

How does one "change the throttle stick"? Does this require the spring mod?

Thanks!

skeeter said:
Cor Brink said:
skeeter said:
OK...

Reputable dealers?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

No, you just remove the backplate and the little piece of steel that creates the ratchet effect. You'll see the backplate when radio is open, it's not on the ail/ele side.

OK...

Reputable dealers?

Thoughts?

Thanks![/quote]

No, you just remove the backplate and the little piece of steel that creates the ratchet effect. You'll see the backplate when radio is open, it's not on the ail/ele side.[/quote][/quote]

Nice.....I'm such a noob....but you guys are great!

14SGH has been ordered. So my kids don't eat for a while......no big... :shock:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4