Where's my memory gone?

Reaction score
30Gb mini SD card from my P3A but why is there only 17Gb available, where's the other 13Gb gone?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 08.30.41.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 08.30.41.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 111
30Gb mini SD card from my P3A but why is there only 17Gb available, where's the other 13Gb gone?
Nothing's gone, nothing's missing.

Your screenshot says it for you ..
Used: 17.65 GB
Available: 14.26 GB

It's all there.
If you want the full 30 GB, you need to save whatever you want to keep from the 17 GB onto your computer and format the card.

But what is using the 17.65Gb, the card is empty apart from the two root files or whatever they're called?

OK, just started everything up and re formatted the SD card and now I have the full 30Gb available.

It seems that when one deletes files from the card, videos, stills etc, they just become invisible but are still there which would account for the "missing" 17Gb!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 14.47.11.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 14.47.11.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Not familiar with mac os.
Can you explore the card and show hidden files, I suspect a hidden trash folder using the space.

Reactions: Meta4
Agree. I always format my camera card before a days shooting, just forgot this one?
Yup..... had a 128gb card the other day that was seemingly empty yet reporting everything used..... formatted and all was good again. My entire old MacBook Pro was that way, full of ghost files, eventually had to wipe and start over.

But what is using the 17.65Gb, the card is empty apart from the two root files or whatever they're called?

OK, just started everything up and re formatted the SD card and now I have the full 30Gb available.

It seems that when one deletes files from the card, videos, stills etc, they just become invisible but are still there which would account for the "missing" 17Gb!
Not sure if you did, but just tossing files to trash won’t remove them from the card. If you do it from your computer via card reader, you have to Emty the Trash before dismounting the card.
It’s my usual method of clearing the card. Unless out in the field & need to
Clear it. Then I reformat from the drone

Reactions: D0CT0R

Format the card.

D

Not sure if you did, but just tossing files to trash won’t remove them from the card. If you do it from your computer via card reader, you have to Emty the Trash before dismounting the card.
It’s my usual method of clearing the card. Unless out in the field & need to
Clear it. Then I reformat from the drone
This is the correct answer, besides formatting...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic