Where to start

Reaction score
I have some good flight hours in on P3's, but sold them about a year ago. Now, with the P4 coming out, and having some extra time on my hands, I've thought about doing some for-profit work on the side in my free time. I come back after being away about a year and I'm seeing things about 333 exemptions, you have to be a pilot, paperwork out the wazoo etc. Can someone lay down the bare bone facts for me? Do I need a 333 exemption? What he hell is it Where can I get one? What other things would I need. The FAA has made this whole thing batshit crazy pardon my French. Thanks in advance and all opinions appreciated because I'm real close to buying the P4.

Joel

yep they made it hard to get and will cost you some money to boot only way you can fly and make money is with 333 it sucks basically need a pilot license

If it is for profit no matter how you try to disguise it (free filming, charge for editing, etc.), they will require you to have the proper paperwork. You need at least a sport pilots license or whoever is operating the AC needs one. The exemption is gotten via the FAA, their website has all the info you'll need.
Hopefully before the year is out they will have new guidelines for commercial use which will omit the need for the pilots license, at least thats what the rumor mill says.
So you may want to save the investment at this time and see what the future brings before getting your feet wet.

Thank you. So I'm guessing the 333 exemption will make having a sport pilots license moot?

Thank you. So I'm guessing the 333 exemption will make having a sport pilots license moot?
No.... once you obtain the Section 333 Exemption one of the requirements within the exemption is to have a MIN of a Sport Pilot certificate. Anyone can get the 333 Exemption but in order to fly within it's guidelines an airmen certificate is required.

So by law, if a real estate agent wants to pay me $100.00 for a photo I have to have my sport pilots license. That's insane.

yep just plain stupid the way the faa has it right now

So by law, if a real estate agent wants to pay me $100.00 for a photo I have to have my sport pilots license. That's insane.
If you make $0.01 it's deemed "commercial". In fact if you make nothing but you do it "for a business that could benefit from it" then it's also commercial. It's all about the "Intent of the flight".

If you do the flight "for someone else" and the media could further a business in any way it's commercial. On the flip side if you are just out flying for fun (aka hobby) and you capture some cool pics/vids. At a later date you think someone may like to see them and you give them away then that's a whole other ball of wax. It's all about the INTENT.

Also the trick of "I'll not charge for the flight but will charge for editing/consulting/thumb drive/donation/contribution" etc has already been addressed and those loopholes are closed.

so taking pics for my business to show landscape that has been done for advertising is a no go

so taking pics for my business to show landscape that has been done for advertising is a no go
In true Black & White fashion absolutely not. That's advertising for your business just about any way you want to spin it.

yep just plain stupid the way the faa has it right now

It's more accurate to say that's the way it's always been and the FAA is working with the Legislative branch of the government to change it for this new, exploding, technology.

To say otherwise misplaces the truth and furthers misdirected anger toward the FAA which has none nothing more than it's charter describes.

Reactions: BigAl07
opps me bad

haven't used any yet hopefully they will change so it isn't so tough on little things like this

this is such shitty news for me. I guess I should have done some more research, but i bought the p4 solely to do real estate vids/phots.. weddings... etc...Hopefully this rumor is true. These rules are terrible.

Reactions: flpholt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers