Where to purchase… overseas or from US?

Reaction score
Greetings all….

I'm currently living/working in Dubai and I'm in the market for a P2V+ and would appreciate some insight on "where" to buy….

Price is not the issue but rather if I have problems… The 2 Virgin Mega Stores here in Dubai have these models for sale for approx $1,500 with no extra spare battery as is available from online distributors from the US ($1,369)

If I buy from Virgin here locally, I get the "warm fuzzy" that they'll take care of any issues. I asked the sales rep about this and he told me I could bring it back to the store anytime and they'd send it for repairs and fix any issues since I bought it from them. I did not ask them if there is a local "fix it" department here or if they'd have to ship it out somewhere to repair.

Alternatively, buy from an internet sight (US or UK) and not really have an idea of where it would be sent or who would work on it etc...

Just curious if you all had some input or ideas on the comfort level of buying from a local store where you might have some better direct access to discussing or finding out about problems/issues or just purchase one online and enjoy.

Thanks for your inputs….

Kap

Kapitan said:
Greetings all….

Price is not the issue but rather if I have problems…

Kap

This says it all buy locally.

Kapitan said:
Greetings all….

I'm currently living/working in Dubai and I'm in the market for a P2V+ and would appreciate some insight on "where" to buy….

Price is not the issue but rather if I have problems… The 2 Virgin Mega Stores here in Dubai have these models for sale for approx $1,500 with no extra spare battery as is available from online distributors from the US ($1,369)

If I buy from Virgin here locally, I get the "warm fuzzy" that they'll take care of any issues. I asked the sales rep about this and he told me I could bring it back to the store anytime and they'd send it for repairs and fix any issues since I bought it from them. I did not ask them if there is a local "fix it" department here or if they'd have to ship it out somewhere to repair.

Alternatively, buy from an internet sight (US or UK) and not really have an idea of where it would be sent or who would work on it etc...

Just curious if you all had some input or ideas on the comfort level of buying from a local store where you might have some better direct access to discussing or finding out about problems/issues or just purchase one online and enjoy.

Thanks for your inputs….

Kap

Best to buy it there. As you know, customer service in Dubai is generally pretty good from businesses. If you buy it online you'll have to face relentless bureaucracy and wait times. I've seen a decent looking R/C store selling drones at Sunset Mall on Jumeirah Beach Road

Post up some pictures you take when you get it. I realize there are no current laws enforcing their usage but apparently sometimes using them at a beach might get you negative attention.

I'm in Jumeirah for about a month every year. I plan on taking my Phantom with me when I go this time!

I bought both of my quads from the DJI website directly. Quick free delivery via DHL and no problems whatsoever. I know there are some dealers out there with amazing customer service like B&H Photo. I have also hear of people contacting a dealer with issues and being told to contact DJI directly, then DJI says contact the dealer. I didn't want the run around if anything happened so that's why I bought it direct.

You would not believe my recent experience with DJI... I crashed my Phantom Vision+ because of pilot error 2 months ago. I contact DJI several times to get an estimate on repair time, cost, etc. and did not get very good answers. They told me to pay to send it back to a DJI service center (I live in California and they just opened one in my state) and I would have to pay UP TO half of what I paid for it ($650) and wait 1-2 months. I had a completely broken gimbal/camera and GPS unit and was expecting a large repair bill (the gimbal is extremely fragile and costs more than half the cost of the quad to replace). I waiting patiently and didn't hear much from DJI for weeks and weeks. After UPS confirmed it was delivered it took 2 weeks for them to "check it into inventory". Then I waiting another month for them to email me that they were going to look at it soon! I wasn't very hopeful but I had my second quad to keep me busy while I waited.

Anyways.... 2 weeks ago I got an email from DJI saying thanks for my patience, they fixed it FOR FREE and it was already being shipped back. 2 days later I had it and it's flying perfect. I didn't pay anything except to ship it down there! I've totally changed my opinion about DJI customer service (at least the US office). If you buy it from a vendor I bet the repair process is the same but I just wanted to give my 2 cents.
If you do buy from the DJI website scan my QR code and use the link to buy it. DJI has a reward program and we both earn points! You can get a free pack of props for using it and trust me you will want extra props!

Good luck wherever you buy it from!

Hey Redwood….

That was one thing I was considering… if I buy direct from DJI, I could have a good feel for being taken care of. However I have to say this: In the past 2 months I've been reading and researching this topic, I seem to have read more negative about DJI's customer service than positive. Your experience seems to confirm this although it ended up nicely for you, thank goodness. But it sounds like it was heading towards that "abyss" that I've heard on a somewhat regular basis of their CS.

@Ilovecoffee: While I've read/heard they are accepted here in Dubai, I get the impression the more attention you attract with it, the worse off you might be with the authorities here. Probably not such a good idea to fly it over the beach or near the big Burj Khalifa building. I'm sure you know that you have to put all your bags thru a screening after passing customs to make sure we're not bringing in things that offend the religion in Dubai. They will more than likely at least ask you about your DJI Phantom. A guy I've texted to here in town who has one simply mentioned to the authorities that it was a "model helicopter". That seemed to relax any curiosity. Just mention this an fyi….

I can certainly see the benefit now of buying locally…. makes a lot of sense.

One thing that the Virgin store guy said to me… sometimes the places that sell these are not the originals but rather ones built in China. is there a sure-fire way to check this out of the box or is it not a real worry?

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!!

Kap

That was one thing I was considering… if I buy direct from DJI, I could have a good feel for being taken care of. However I have to say this: In the past 2 months I've been reading and researching this topic, I seem to have read more negative about DJI's customer service than positive. Your experience seems to confirm this although it ended up nicely for you, thank goodness. But it sounds like it was heading towards that "abyss" that I've heard on a somewhat regular basis of their CS.

I admit I've heard a lot more bad experiences than good ones. I guess I got lucky. Hopefully for everyone else's sake they are improving (or just now starting) their customer service. Maybe they realized next year they won't be the only company making these ready-to-fly quads.

One thing that the Virgin store guy said to me… sometimes the places that sell these are not the originals but rather ones built in China. is there a sure-fire way to check this out of the box or is it not a real worry?

The original is made in China but I know what you mean. I have never heard of counterfeit parts in a new phantom but I guess it's possible. He probably wanted to make sure you buy from him and not another vendor. The only thing I can think of is to take it apart and inspect all the internal parts which I doubt they will let you do!

Bought mine with gimbal Zemnuse 3d and fpv set up from Helipad HK and got it delivered at my door step in Jumeirah within 3 days via DHL with no issue at all.
Not trying to be a wise-***; but the rule of thumb here in Dubai or anywhere out of the US is to "forget" dealing with DJI directly as you WILL need to replace/repair stuff once used......

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr