Where to buy P4 prop guards

Reaction score
Like the subject says? I have looked, even the DJI site doesn't list them.

I buggered up the pros on the P3 pretty quickly, and I'm hoping to avoid that fate with the P4

Like the subject says? I have looked, even the DJI site doesn't list them.

I buggered up the pros on the P3 pretty quickly, and I'm hoping to avoid that fate with the P4
The collision avoidance system is automatically turned off when prop guards are installed.

I believe that I read (not sure where) that using prop guards on a P4 would negate the Obstacle Avoidance function. Looking at my P4 it does appear that a prop guard could be in the viewing angle of the front sensors.

Even if the above is true it doesn't mean that they won't be available, but it does add weight to the "don't use prop guards" side of the argument. Could be good for indoor flying, none the less.

Will the collision avoidance detect tree branches? I use these things to patrol my property, which is heavily wooded in most areas. A tiny little wispy branch can cause major havoc.

It's a pirates life for me

Will the collision avoidance detect tree branches? I use these things to patrol my property, which is heavily wooded in most areas. A tiny little wispy branch can cause major havoc.

It's a pirates life for me
maybe you could fly a little higher than the trees, with the P4 there is a digital zoom function you just pinch to zoom like on a phone. If you have ever cropped a 4k video into 1080p you will see that you have to crop quite a bit out to get down to 1920x1080 so by using the digital zoom I believe you will still have better resolution than is displayed on the ipad or whatever device you are using to fly with since it is only displayed in 720p.

Yes the obstacle avoidance will detect some tree branches but not the little wispy ones you discussed. Maybe you could map out a waypoint mission flying slowly to avoid the trees and then when you patrol your property you could just have the phantom fly the waypoint mission so you can focus on whatever you are looking for rather than flying.

The collision avoidance system is automatically turned off when prop guards are installed.

Any idea how that's done?

Hardware wise there's been a posting of a P4 disassemble and it did not appear to have any sensors in (end of) the arms.

Must be detectable by the OA system itself (i.e. in field of view)???

Prop guards won't protect you from trees. The obstacle avoidance has a better chance with trees but only if they're thick with foliage. Prop guards may save you from a wall but so should the obstacle avoidance. Ideally, just learn to fly better and you shouldn't need any of it.

Any idea how that's done?

Hardware wise there's been a posting of a P4 disassemble and it did not appear to have any sensors in (end of) the arms.

Must be detectable by the OA system itself (i.e. in field of view)???
I don't know how it is done but it was listed in the firmware update change log for the latest firmware.

Phantom fool, to answer your question, DJI has not released them yet.

Reactions: Phantom fool
I don't see how prop guards would disable obstacle avoidance? There are no sensors or leads in the arms except motor and LED. (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Look at 2:22 and ) Since the guards clip in and there is no switch or sensor, there's no means for the P4 to know that the guards are attached than visually or by weight. The Firmware updates added the note "Added propeller guard detection. Obstacle Sensing system is automatically disabled when a propeller guard is installed." (DJI Forum|NEW PHANTOM 4 FIRMWARE ANNOUNCEMENT) on the Firmware page. Only 4 wires go to the arms. Two White, two black. One pair for Motor and one for LED.

How are they doing it and Why? Do the guards obstruct the obstacle sensors?

The gaudy looking things probably show up in the CA camera field of view and make it believe it's always about to hit something. The processor can recognize & follow moving/changing objects so recognizing a static props guard & automatically disabling CA should be easy.

I don't see how prop guards would disable obstacle avoidance? There are no sensors or leads in the arms except motor and LED. (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Look at 2:22 and ) Since the guards clip in and there is no switch or sensor, there's no means for the P4 to know that the guards are attached than visually or by weight. The Firmware updates added the note "Added propeller guard detection. Obstacle Sensing system is automatically disabled when a propeller guard is installed." (DJI Forum|NEW PHANTOM 4 FIRMWARE ANNOUNCEMENT) on the Firmware page. Only 4 wires go to the arms. Two White, two black. One pair for Motor and one for LED.

How are they doing it and Why? Do the guards obstruct the obstacle sensors?

I would think if the collision avoidance would pick up the prop guards wouldn't it pick up the props as well when at sport mode angle of attack?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ignore that. Obviously sport mode angle only changes the camera view.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I like the way they are more integrated into the design. I don't use them much anymore, but would still be nice to have a set for some specific flying situations. Anyone know where/when they will be available to the general public?

Thanks
GSW

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31