Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Where is video stored?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by greenskeeper, Jul 8, 2015.

1. greenskeeper

I can look at my video on my Ipad Mini2 without anything hooked up. Is the video stored on the device or the sd card? If it's the device, then I would think that the more memory on the Ipad, the better. I thought that all video would be on the card, but I kind of like it on the Ipad, never have to fool around with anything else to see my FPV flight.

2. Kingfish28

It's stored on both, if you have video caching enabled "Cache locally when recording" within the Pilot app.

Full resolution video is only stored on the card that is in the Phantom though.

30secs likes this.
  3. Gregg Smith

The cache is what's used to edit short video using the Director app within the Pilot App. I also found that if the video you are seeing on your tablet, an iPad for me, it is saved in the cache so when you try to use that cache in Director, it will show up there as well. Lower quality video, but nice if it is clean and you want to post a short video online for folks.

4. Elsmeghead

I know this is an old thread, but just made a short tutorial video that works for me. Hope it helps.

5. dhaymil

Can't you just plug the drone directly into your PC? My MacBook Pro sees the drone as a device and I can just drag the video files onto my desktop.

atmu5fear likes this.
  6. Elsmeghead

My reply is just to inform anyone how to copy the CACHED video files to a PC (which don't show up when the iPad is connected to a PC)
    I needed the cached video file for a video I made, as it contained the audio from the iPad mini 2 I was using to run DJI GO4.
    This thread came up first in Google to the question I searched for, so to help anyone googling the same question I added my reply here once I found a free easy solution.
    I would've thought everyone is already aware of how to get the sd card files from the drone to their computer. If not, then I don't think they should be operating flying machinery! lol

7. solentlife

Phone saves a low res archive video if enabled

SD Card saves the high res video ....

Nigel

8. Numone

You can now save the videos directly to the device memory with the GO app editor too, where, if you're using one, it will show up in the photos folder of the iPad root directory on your Mac or PC, so now you don't have to go through iTunes to retrieve them.

9. atmu5fear

Video on your device is stored at stream res (720p) and any interference encountered is recorded as well. The full res footage is recorded on the sd card. You can plug either the drone or tab into a computer to retrieve which ever one you want

10. solentlife

Exactly ....

Here's same flight ... first is the cached screen and second is the SD card version ...

BIG difference !! And people will also see why I was trying to solve the video problem when my P3P: bricked !!

Nigel