Where I can fly my P4 in Manhattan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just received my P4, I was wondering where I can fly my drone in the city.
I'm getting mix information.

Best, Diego

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Even better use the B4UFLY application. It does a good job of mapping the area you are looking to fly.
In general most of upper Manhattan is off limits because it's less than 5 miles from LaGuardia Airport. Lower Manhattan is a notification area where you can fly but your supposed to notify the air traffic controller of each tower in the area. Of course that means calling 5-10 helipads via phone.
As much as the B4UFLY application looks to be set up to send a single electronic notification it doesn't actually do that. Yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6ddfaea79190738fc1e19de2cdc7443c.jpg

Just cross the bridge come to jersey

Reactions: QuadBart
Thats the one thing I find annoying about the b4ufly app. It lists ALL helipads whether they are used regularly or not. I get it in a busy city like Manhattan. But I'm at the edge of civilization and it has every freakin' helipad listed basically making anything in the metro area an NFZ...

I called the closest one, an ER helipad, and they had no idea what I was talking about at first, then someone who wasn't in charge thought I was flying on the same property as the ER and got all pissy. I told them I'm 4 miles out. They calmed down and didn't know how to proceed....

IMO, if the FAA is going to list every single helipad, they need to educate the owner's of these helipads about protocol...

Again, Manhattan is a different story in my book. Heck, if I lived in a major metropolitan city I probably would only own one of those small indoor drones.

I'd be more concerned about all the RF that gets emitted between all the buildings from all their radio antennas and microwave antennas. They can overwhelm the signal from your remote control and you'll see the bird fly away. It's happened to me.

Reactions: QuadBart
Hello my friend, I fly a P3 way out of my city. I will be honest with you, I don't have any of the apps loaded to tell me where to fly b4ufly etc. from my vantage point you cannot fly no where in the city of Manhattan, I would not even attempt it. A phantom bird is considered a maned aircraft not a parrot ar.drone. With the new registration laws now in place you would be liable for any human or property damage. My good friend I would find a place way afar from Manhattan. It's not worth the risk.
And with the new laws in place you cannot fly in city parks, beaches , around people, fly over buildings, state parks. I have been to Manhattan several times, and I see no where you can fly unhindered.
Just my thoughts my friend.
Robert

Agreed Manhattan probably not worth it. Although it would make for some beautiful shots. Brooklyn might be easier for you if you are taking the subway.
In the Verge review of the Phantom 4 it was actually done in Red Hook Brooklyn.

Do not fly in Manhattan. It is almost entirely restricted airspace. If you're new, you'll need to find some open space with few people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20