Where does DJI 'officially' recommend deep discharge?

Reaction score
In what manual or documentation does DJI recommend the deep discharge down to 8% on batteries after 20 charges?
I asked DJI technical support in both an online chat support session and a phone call and both had no idea and both just said to set the discharge up in the GO app.
So what is the deal with this deep discharge? Why is there no straight forward answer about this subject?
I've searched this forum and it seems to be the source of much debate, and still no straight forward answers.
Question: Where did this recommendation come from? DJI?

Thanks.

In what manual or documentation does DJI recommend the deep discharge down to 8% on batteries after 20 charges?
I asked DJI technical support in both an online chat support session and a phone call and both had no idea and both just said to set the discharge up in the GO app.
So what is the deal with this deep discharge? Why is there no straight forward answer about this subject?
I've searched this forum and it seems to be the source of much debate, and still no straight forward answers.
Question: Where did this recommendation come from? DJI?

Thanks.

The recommendation dates back to the P2 to aid in improving the accuracy of the battery status info. It was not to condition the LiPo cells as that does have any effect on their chemistry.
It would seem later revisions were improved and this is no longer necessary.

Reactions: BigAl07
So what is the deal with this deep discharge?
Deep discharge is only necessary if you experience a charging issue. As long as you properly maintain the batteries you will have no issues. I am still flying on over 2 year old batteries and have babied them for storage purposes when needed. They still work like a champ.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's what the Airdata UAV website recommends as "Basic Service" for my batteries. I haven't done this yet. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't.

Battery Deep Cycle Discharge

When you deep cycle the battery, it also re-initializes the battery's internal software. Always allow a LiPo battery to cool completely before any recharge to help protect your battery and extend its life.

Slower Deep Cycle Method:
  1. Fly until battery level reaches 25%-30%
  2. Allow battery to cool completely to room temperature
  3. Put battery back in and turn on aircraft (optionally starting motors with no propellers) and allow battery to discharge until it gets down to 8%, or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.
    Important: NEVER fully discharge the battery to 0% - it can cause permanent damage
    Tip: With engines stopped, the battery seems to drain about 1% every 5 minutes or so
  4. Allow the battery to cool completely again to room temperature
  5. Recharge battery normally
Rapid Deep Cycle Method:
  1. Fly the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on.
  2. Allow the battery to cool completely again to room temperature
  3. Recharge battery normally

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj