Where do you mount a GTU 10.

Reaction score
Just wondering, for those that have a Garmin GTU 10, where do you mount it on your Phantom and do you use the Velcro or another method of attaching it?

I can give you more horror than that -- I have it stuck to the back of the Zenmuse. :) Turns out it fits *almost* perfectly between the rear (roll) motor and the underside of the damping unit, except it just barely touches the motor housing. Obviously that's a no-no, so I bravely (foolishly?) took to the GTU with the Dremel and made a slight curved recess in the exact center of the long dimension to provide clearance for the brushless motor.

Then I used a 3M adhesive pad to stick it to the back of the IMU. So far works brilliantly. I like the Shapeways holder, but I try to avoid anything that protrudes off the back because then my Phantom won't fit in its case. :(

Slightly off topic, but has anyone using the GTU 10 noticed a degradation/interference with the Phantom's GPS reception when the Garmin is *actively* reporting its location? Outdoors I don't see a problem when the GPS signal is strong, but if the GPS signal is weaker (e.g. indoors) there does seem to be some interference. I can power up indoors and eventually get all green blinks from the Phantom -- but if I then use the Garmin Tracker app to cause the GTU to locate itself and transmit the data back, for the time that the session is active (maybe 20 seconds?) I will get one or two red blinks instead of all green, which seems to imply there is some interference.

I don't think it's a big deal since I have the Garmin set to "on demand" only (meaning it will never be activated while flying unless I have a flyaway), but I did think it was interesting. Makes sense, since essentially it's a mobile phone strapped to the Phantom with a much higher power output than anything else around there.

Should do -- use some velcro and give it a try. Take it outside and see if you can locate it with no problem. If not, you can just peel it back off. :)

Yeah that will work no problem at all. Mine gives me a signal inside my house via GPS and even if it can't find GPS it will swtich to cellular triangulation. Oh and of course if you do crash it miles away from you its likely to be belly up anyway :lol: - when this weather gets better i'll be up for that meet up btw Paul.

DeweyAXD said:
Yeah that will work no problem at all. Mine gives me a signal inside my house via GPS and even if it can't find GPS it will swtich to cellular triangulation. Oh and of course if you do crash it miles away from you its likely to be belly up anyway :lol: - when this weather gets better i'll be up for that meet up btw Paul.

Will Velcro to the belly then and look forward to meeting you Dewey and seeing your setup.

674x501_1265684_1200965_1376087868.jpg

I ordered one of D3wey's "stubby" trays from Shapeways and plan to mount it there. Not yet sure how I will mount it until I get everything on the bench.

Here's how I did mine...The case that comes supplied with the GTU 10 fits perfect, like it was made for the job...The only thing I added was a tie-wrap through the eyelet, just to be double sure (Just like I am with jello mounts)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20