Where do you go flying?

Reaction score
Outdoors isn't allowed as an answer!

I have a big problem in that my yard just isn't suitable. The neighbor's yard is better, but there are too many obstacles.
Some of you probably have a dream backyard. Others have to pack up and go.

So, where do you fly?

I work on an old USAF Cold War air base, so have 10,000 acres of old hangers, watch towers and nuclear bunkers to explore. I also have access to a private estate, complete with castle, lake and extensive grounds! Not had a chance to do much there yet, as I have only had permission since Christmas, but looking forward to a busy summer :)

noiseboy72 said:
I work on an old USAF Cold War air base, so have 10,000 acres of old hangers, watch towers and nuclear bunkers to explore. I also have access to a private estate, complete with castle, lake and extensive grounds! Not had a chance to do much there yet, as I have only had permission since Christmas, but looking forward to a busy summer :)
Sounds like a pretty cool area you have to explore. I either fly at my house, I have two acres & a pretty cool neighbor who does not mind flying over his house / land also. I also do some flying with another member here at a city park that is right down the road from my house. If I see something around town too, I don't mind taking it up if I am able.

noiseboy72 said:

Now you've done it. :lol:

We're all going to wanrt to see some of this. ;)

I practice and try out new mods (FPV, etc) at one of the flying clubs I belong to. To "Fly" I go into the mountains and fly in the National Forests (not restricted like National Parks) which are a close drive. Or I fly at local lakes, over Puget Sound, over farmer's fields (especially this time of year) local parks and in my cul-du-sac (which is pretty boring).

My usual place is a large field which has 6 baseball diamonds on it.
But when the beach isn't crowded, I try to go places like this:

21m9068.png

j5ih3t.png

My house sits on 20 acres that borders 640 acres of state land, so I have all sorts of room to fly :D But I also take it with me when we go camping in the mountains.

I fly mostly in open space parks in the 4S Ranch area of San Diego. There are so many places to go within 10 miles n of my home. When I really want to challenge myself I zip over to Turkey for some flying abobe the airport - exhilarating!

My back yard: I live in one of the houses overlooking the lake. Take off and land from the balcony, mostly flying over the lake.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2014-12-09-09h24m44s163.png
    vlcsnap-2014-12-09-09h24m44s163.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 517
  • vlcsnap-2014-09-01-10h39m16s178.png
    vlcsnap-2014-09-01-10h39m16s178.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 570
sdtrojan said:
I fly mostly in open space parks in the 4S Ranch area of San Diego. There are so many places to go within 10 miles n of my home. When I really want to challenge myself I zip over to Turkey for some flying abobe the airport - exhilarating!

Very funny, I think.
You did mean to say "ABOVE', didn't you? Because "flying adobe the airport" has a totally different meaning. :lol:

On a more serious note. I fly in Wyoming. The Big Horn mountains are my front yard, Thunder Basin is my backyard. FYI, especially HappyFlyer - if you're reading this, we're forecast to reach 59 next week. :lol:

Hey Phantom, where do you fly?

lake_flyer said:
My back yard: I live in one of the houses overlooking the lake. Take off and land from the balcony, mostly flying over the lake.

Now I get your user name! That looks beautiful!

IflyinWY said:
sdtrojan said:

Very funny, I think.
You did mean to say "ABOVE', didn't you? Because "flying adobe the airport" has a totally different meaning. :lol:

On a more serious note. I fly in Wyoming. The Big Horn mountains are my front yard, Thunder Basin is my backyard. FYI, especially HappyFlyer - if you're reading this, we're forecast to reach 59 next week. :lol:

Hey Phantom, where do you fly?

Right now, I fly around my neighbors yard and a park, but I would like to have better options. Where I used to live (and still have a house) there was a huge open space of land, with maintained grass and a small forest to fly over, etc.

I always thought about flying there, but they put up a no trespassing sign. It is meant for businesses, but none have built and it whispers: "Fly over me!" I'm planning to do some scouting and see if I find something, then ask for permission.

But, it would be so neat to fly without leaving my property!

PhantomFanatic said:
lake_flyer said:

Thanks. It's in the Netherlands btw.
It sure is a beautiful place to live and fly. The lake never gets routine. Every flight is a thrill, will it go in the drink this time? But the lake is so beautiful and the light is different every day. It's also a place where many bird watchers come. We have the greatest population of water birds in this part of europe. 300meters from our house a couple of sea eagles is nesting. From my window, the other day, I saw them slay a big goose out of the sky, awesome to see them working closely together. This goose had no chance at all. They also feed on the many birds resting on the water. I hope to get them in the lens sometime.

My playground looks a bit like this :

But I have to tell you I am not happy flying over water :eek:

Attachments

• area.png
    area.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 483
I live 1/2 mile from Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana. This lake is 630 square miles of wide open area ;-)

Along this lake is a Lakefront park, some open areas, a seawall, many areas to explore. 75% of the time I fly over the lake and some marsh areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2x3VzMi4Zg flying 2 miles towards the middle of the lake.

There are many old oak trees. I am working on a video going in out and through these huge trees.

noiseboy72 said:

Very nice!!

I'm just over the border in Notts.

This is my usual flying site when I'm back at my parent's in East Yorkshire :)

fw7vvo.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyh5jcQUP0M[/youtube]
This video I shot back in September. This whole area has now been cleared for new business units and some housing. It's one continuous shot, mainly at fairly low level, capturing the building for the Airfield Recording Group. They spotted some details they were previously unaware of and I have also captured some other areas as well, all of which will eventually be demolished. Some historic buildings will be retained, but most will go.

noiseboy72 said:
This video I shot back in September. This whole area has now been cleared for new business units and some housing. It's one continuous shot, mainly at fairly low level, capturing the building for the Airfield Recording Group. They spotted some details they were previously unaware of and I have also captured some other areas as well, all of which will eventually be demolished. Some historic buildings will be retained, but most will go.

Now that's what I call a playground :)

lake_flyer said:
PhantomFanatic said:
lake_flyer said:

Thanks. It's in the Netherlands btw.
It sure is a beautiful place to live and fly. The lake never gets routine. Every flight is a thrill, will it go in the drink this time? But the lake is so beautiful and the light is different every day. It's also a place where many bird watchers come. We have the greatest population of water birds in this part of europe. 300meters from our house a couple of sea eagles is nesting. From my window, the other day, I saw them slay a big goose out of the sky, awesome to see them working closely together. This goose had no chance at all. They also feed on the many birds resting on the water. I hope to get them in the lens sometime.

I almost said that is too beautiful to be in America, but I thought it would piss people off. So, I'm saying it now as what I thought was correct! Even the grass is beautiful! Enjoy paradise!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl