When to uswitch to NAZA mode and erratic behaviour questions

Reaction score
Hello All:

I'm new to the world of quad flying but have been flying RC for a long time. I've recently purchased a DJI Phantom 2 and have read about switching to NAZA mode but not until you've become "experienced". Can anyone give some feedback on what level of experience one would need to make the switch and is it something I should entertain doing?

Also, on my first couple of flights, in GPS lock, the Phantom has performed flawlessly until about 10 minutes into the flight when it started to erratically swing back and forth and lose altitude. I managed both times to recover but found it unnerving to say the least. I did notice on both occasions that the unit didn't appear to loose GPS signal as there was no change in the lights. I am flying at the moment with the prop guards on and seem to recall reading about a negative effect that these may have. Both times were in large open areas with no electrical interference in the area and the compass has been calibrated. Any thoughts or observations on what I may be doing wrong would be very helpful and I offer my sincere Thank in advance for any advice.

Cheers!

Re: When to uswitch to NAZA mode and erratic behaviour quest

I was new to RC and switched to Naza before my first flight. I just made sure I understood how each function worked beforehand.

Absolutely switch to naza mode and enjoy the options.

Were you descending when you had the problems? There is an issue when descending into your own prop wash. Do you have the latest software installed? If you are using FPV can you list your setup as with the prop guards it may be overweight a bit.

Tom

xgeek said:
I was new to RC and switched to Naza before my first flight. I just made sure I understood how each function worked beforehand.

Me too :cool:

Naza mode is not, by itself, harder to use. Switching to Naza mode allows you to use manual flight mode, which arguably is harder. I switched so that I could have manual mode and a switch that permitted me to go into failsafe any time I wished. I use a Futaba controller.

The behavior you're describing happened to me once when I had a gimbal on the P2 that vibrated a lot. I think it vibrated the FC and caused it to go nuts. Could vibration or another irritant to the FC be the cause in your case? Have you balanced your props?

robby95 said:
Hello All:

I'm new to the world of quad flying but have been flying RC for a long time. I've recently purchased a DJI Phantom 2 and have read about switching to NAZA mode but not until you've become "experienced". Can anyone give some feedback on what level of experience one would need to make the switch and is it something I should entertain doing?

Also, on my first couple of flights, in GPS lock, the Phantom has performed flawlessly until about 10 minutes into the flight when it started to erratically swing back and forth and lose altitude. I managed both times to recover but found it unnerving to say the least. I did notice on both occasions that the unit didn't appear to loose GPS signal as there was no change in the lights. I am flying at the moment with the prop guards on and seem to recall reading about a negative effect that these may have. Both times were in large open areas with no electrical interference in the area and the compass has been calibrated. Any thoughts or observations on what I may be doing wrong would be very helpful and I offer my sincere Thank in advance for any advice.

Cheers!

tom3holer said:
Absolutely switch to naza mode and enjoy the options.

Were you descending when you had the problems? There is an issue when descending into your own prop wash. Do you have the latest software installed? If you are using FPV can you list your setup as with the prop guards it may be overweight a bit.

Tom

Thanks Tom, yes I was descending and as noted in another post I haven't balanced the props (DOH!), I guess I was too excited to start flying and feel blessed for getting away lucky. My kit includes:
DJI Phantom 2, H3-3D Gimbal, GoPro 3+ Black, DJI Video Transmitter - 5.8 GHz, and DJI iOSD mini

I'll remove the prop guards, balance the props and be careful on descent and see if it makes the difference. I'll also switch over to NAZA!

Cheers,
Robb

Robb,

That's a good idea but doubt the balancing of the props was the cause.
be sure when descending to move laterally forward, backwards, whatever, to keep in clean air.

how were you going to balance the props. Being spin on type it isn't so easy.

Tom

xgeek said:

Yep! Nazam mode is nothing to be afraid of. You don't need to be an experienced flyer before using it.
BUT, as xgeek said,
I just made sure I understood how each function worked beforehand.

Watch videos online about using IOC on the Phantom 2

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj