When to replace propellers?

Reaction score
How quickly do you decide to throw out your propellers and replace them? If your drone tips over upon landing and the propellers get scraped up a bit, do you toss 'em?

Scrapes are usually okay but you need to be the judge.
The phantoms will fly with quite a few dings in the props but having damaged props make it noisier & increase the vibration which in turn would shorten the life of the motor bearings due to now being unbalanced.
Depending on the severity of the damage it could make the bird unstable under some conditions.
Definitely don't fly it with the chunks or tips missing from the props.

Reactions: CyberStew
I'm definitely not an expert on this... but I changed mine after the edges got chipped or disfigured. Also when I first start flying (with the prop guards) and I had a few 'accidents' one of my props had a split in it.. You could only see and notice it if you ran you fingers across it. So now I always run my fingers across and inspect with torch (on phone) before each flight.

My first set last about a week :p This second is still good after around 2 months. Don't see a reason to replace them yet if they are still 100% perfect.
I quite like how DJI included 2 sets in the box.. Very nice of them :)

I usually change mine once I notice a change in flight experience. Funny changing out props is like getting new tires on your car/truck drives like brand new afterwords. You can also balance the props but I have found with the standard props they get a bit thin and flimsy if shaving the material off. I have read somewhere that a thin laquer layer while balancing is better than shaving

I am still on original props from April purchase. Several flights 70-80, still smooth, no vibration, no TBE since 3.06. No crashes, just a few tip overs on grass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31