When my signal is lost?

Reaction score
Curious to know exactly what happens when signal is lost using this scenario. Lets say I was flying out and decided to descend into a valley but at some point lost my signal during the decent. Correct me if I'm wrong but i think you have to have lost signal for 3 seconds before the RTH function kicks in. Would the phantom continue with the decent since this was the last known input or does it stop and come to an immediate hover? Just wondering if I could impact the ground while waiting for the 3 second rule to kick in if I were perhaps only 30' agl or less when signal is lost?

Assuming the bird has GPS it will stop and maintain a hover prior to RTH. In the absence of GPS the decent would stop however it would drift with the breeze until it found something to crash into.

On signal loss the phantom will hold its position for 3 seconds provided it has gps, other wise it will use its barometer to hold altitude but not position. After that it will rise to the altitude set in RTH settings and fly in a straight line to home point. If it is higher than the set altitude it will just RTH.

Curious to know exactly what happens when signal is lost using this scenario. Lets say I was flying out and decided to descend into a valley but at some point lost my signal during the decent. Correct me if I'm wrong but i think you have to have lost signal for 3 seconds before the RTH function kicks in. Would the phantom continue with the decent since this was the last known input or does it stop and come to an immediate hover? Just wondering if I could impact the ground while waiting for the 3 second rule to kick in if I were perhaps only 30' agl or less when signal is lost?
...Once the Phantom(4) looses signal depending on the flight there Will be a brief period of time before the phantom initiates a RTH.. for instance, level flight, full throttle, dropped signal, the phantom could 'coast' up to 560ft before it comes to a stop.. and the Dropped Signal Time Frame as per DJI P4 Manual is supposed to be 3sec however I've seen that time frame to be from 4.6 to 6sec, and YES it could in fact impact the ground in your scenario.. also depending on what caused the Dropped Signal will determine what the P4 will do next.. for instance IF the reason for a Dropped Signal is Massive Interference then the P4 may coast to a stop and then just hover even if you've set the RTH Function as RTN to Home (vs Hover in Place or Descend to Landing), in addition to these variables don't forget the Firmware Version & Ctrl Sta Sftwr (i.e. DJI-Go), changes are made all the time without full disclosure, read the EULA.. an example of a Dropped Signal and reAcquired Signal Flight is on my Web-Site, P4 page...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic