When is the RC actually transmitting?

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in. Now that I have quick connects for antennas on my remotes for my P4 standard and Advanced my question is do I need to have antennas on the rc when it is powered up? Is it transmitting when you turn it on or only when connected to aircraft? I don’t want to let the smoke out of my controllers by turning them on with no antennas connected if that’s going to be an issue. Thanks again.

Yes, it would be transmitting constantly and not having an antenna (load) attached can cause damage. Generally speaking, energy is reflected back into the 'final' or power output sections causing overheating.

Having said that some systems can tolerate brief periods but there is no (that I've seen FWIW) DJI documentation to state what if any no-load conditions could be 'tolerated'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archangel3356
OK Dude I'm not 100% on this, but for example on the Mavic pro if you turn on the controller with the AC off the display says "Connecting", now I think that it "Pings" the AC to verify that it is talking to the correct aircraft to which it was "bound" and not to all AC that may be near it, so in that case it has to transmit.

Ahh.... N017RW got in whilst i was typing, but what he says !!

I installed a range booster on my P4 (standard) remote as well, and I have the quick connects. The remote will not fit in my carry case with antennas installed, so I made a placard for my remote that says, "Do not turn on without antennas installed". I say the conservative approach to this question is the best route. Always have antennas installed prior to turning on the remote.

In regards to when does it transmit. As soon as you turn it on, it begins doing so, and this is evident by the fact that no control inputs are necessary to connect the controller to the copter. During this time - with no control inputs - the signal strength may not be strong enough to cook the antenna modules, but why take the chance.

Control inputs have no bearing on transmit. The carrier is always present only the 'data' varies.

Control inputs have no bearing on transmit. The carrier is always present only the 'data' varies.

Ok. That makes sense I guess. I am not as well versed when it comes to radio signal concepts as I am with basic electricity. I just assumed that by introducing control inputs, there was an increase in something that needed the antenna path to emit. Is there an increase in the quantity of the data when control inputs are made, and that is what causes an issue with no antenna installed? Or is the quantity of data - like Amps - always the same.

Ok. That makes sense I guess. I am not as well versed when it comes to radio signal concepts as I am with basic electricity. I just assumed that by introducing control inputs, there was an increase in something that needed the antenna path to emit. Is there an increase in the quantity of the data when control inputs are made, and that is what causes an issue with no antenna installed? Or is the quantity of data - like Amps - always the same.

Generally speaking...
These (newer, since the 80s or so) digital radios continuously transmit 'packets' 'frames' etc.

So the data within these is what changes.

The damage is from the carrier power which is constant.

Reactions: Brockrock
Very informative information, thank you. I figured the rc would constantly be throwing a carrier but just wasn’t sure. I’ll be sure add an “antennas on” to the check list today to be sure theirs no chance of forgetting and frying anything. Thanks again all, appreciate your input as always !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.