When is it just too windy ?

Reaction score
As the post goes do you have a max wind speed when deciding to take off or not ??

Have flown a few times when it has been pretty stormy and was fine however found landing a bit tricky!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mine is ~10 MPH. It really depends on how skilled of a pilot you are and how much you want to risk your bird.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I had mine up at 12 gusting to maybe 20. Max I would do would be 15 gusting to 20 or so. At least for now. Always check your winds aloft, I do at the highest point I'd be flying (400').

Is there an app for Android that anyone recommends for checking wind speed, especially aloft?

Had my Phantom2 out in NJ the other day and the wind was gusting to 25mph...No problem whatsoever...The newer birds must be finicky...

I have flown in gusts around 20-25mph, both the P3P and the P4 were solid.

15mph is fine. You'll be able to go ~20mph into it all things being equal. You just gotta be careful how far you go out and watch your battery. As long as you do that you'll be good. A 15mph wind isn't going to float your P3 away.

A sustained 20mph I probably wouldn't do but even then there's room there to make it back, ~15mph, but you'll be going slow.

Reactions: artfuldodger
I actually had one the other day, a new windy experience for me..
Winds at 17+, gusts at 26+

18+ minute flight a few hundred feet above the river shooting an HDR-Pano shot (that I'm still messing with...)

The P3P handled it fine, I was a nervous mess, lol..

Healthy Drones log: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Oh, the panorama involved... Google Maps

uav forecast

yup. that's what I use. and make sure to dial in the altitude that you'll be flying in for a more accurate forecast. I also fly into the wind in faster conditions so that the quad doesn't struggle to make it home.

If it wont hold position hovering its too windy lol.

3rd flight mine did back flips 50feet away trying to do CSC to stop rotors after landing in 25-30mph wind because it couldnt hold position with the gusts.

Later I learned the instructions are misleading and the best way to stop rotors after manual landing was to simply hold down left stick. In my engineering brains opinion, DJI seriously failed in explaining that. In hindsight they should have simply put in 1 sentence in all their instructions that says CSC is for emergency stops only and to use left stick down for normal landing rotor stop.

But then they wouldnt get to sell all the extra propellers and parts from peoples landing crashes bahahahahahah.

20-25 max. If I can't do 10 into the wind its time to land. I try (nearly alwys that is) to work upwind on full battery and work downwind home on empty.

I live around a lot of tall trees, as a golden rule I would say no wind at all as a few metres to the left or right your in a tree and its game over

Well, I just flew under a liveoak tree at <8' within a foot of branches and leaves videoing an easter pinata with the granddaughters yesterday. Winds were 10-12mph. It was a white knuckle flight for a while but the P3 settled down eventually. At one point I left it hovering and ran in the house to go get another battery. Came back and it was within a foot of where I had left it.

Last edited:
uav forecast

I personally don't trust this app telling me it's good to fly...for instance, right now it's incredibly windy here, trees are waving in all directions, gusts of 37kph according to my weather app, and UAV tells me it's safe to fly. No way would I take my bird out in this weather.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik