When I'm flying

Reaction score
Am I the only one.........? Man sometimes I get really nervous out there flying $2000+ worth of Phantom. I see some of these vids that people are taking and wonder where they get the guts to fly like that!......I guess, like anything else, it takes a lot of practice. I also haven't had the advantage of playing video games for years! Sounds like a good excuse.

Chicken Slugger

slugger said:
Am I the only one.........? Man sometimes I get really nervous out there flying $2000+ worth of Phantom. I see some of these vids that people are taking and wonder where they get the guts to fly like that!......I guess, like anything else, it takes a lot of practice. I also haven't had the advantage of playing video games for years! Sounds like a good excuse.

Chicken Slugger

No matter what anybody else answers, you're not alone. I don't care how much experience I have, it'll never be enough to make me want to take unnecessary chances with my Phantom. If I want an aerobatic bird, I know where I can get one that does that kind of flying better and cheaper.

I practice all the time because I want it back alive every time. That's my opinion to share with you - others, of course, feel differently, and that's their right.

slugger said:

Chicken Slugger

Hi Chicken Slugger,

Practice makes perfect. I learn something new every time I fly. Whats great about it is that as you get more practice you will get more comfortable with taking risks ... hell you might even be better at video games! :) This hobby is definitely a money hole, but with practice, at least for me, it has become less so. :)

Just fly within your comfort zone, as your learning you should build your skills up slowly and get more comfortable but its your phantom so you can fly it however you like. Once you get used to all the modes you will be more competent and what you would have considered high risk early on is not as bad after a bit of practice. Everyone is different and some people get Into trouble trying things way beyond their current skill levels and doing advanced things way before they should.

I've found that flying my Phantom elevates my pulse rate faster than jogging. It also raises my adrenaline level, mainly because I'm frequently scared half out of my wits! After surviving three dramatic and potentially fatal crashes I went back to basics, practicing time after time in a huge open field. When I added FPV I resisted the urge to try it closer to home, where obstacles are everywhere, and took the time to drive to a more suitable open location.

I'm also amazed that so many people casually risk their Phantoms and accessories -- but they've either got a lot more money than me or they enjoy the thrill of a crash.

I'd like to think that I'll eventually be able to competently fly the Phantom and the GoPro under any reasonable condition without serious risk. Until then, however, I will continue my "slow & easy" program of self-training.

I've had some good training tips on this forum from BruceTS -- look for his posts and follow his advice; he has helped me a lot.

I've flown mine 80 battery flights on at least 18 occasions and I still get the adrenaline chills when I start up the motors. I find I have my screw ups when I'm with others, showing them what this baby can do. On my own ill hover and tilt, hover and turn, straight line back, into home, back into GPS, back into atti, all very simple and controlled. Practice over and over, handle the breeze, avoid trees, try to get stable video. Each occasion is a learning. Get out ther and burn up those batteries!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31