When does the sheer terror subside?

Reaction score
Hello all,

New P2V+ pilot here. I have a couple of flights under my belt. Everything has gone as smooth as can be so far. My main focus is just flying and getting use the controls and movement. I have a bit of experience with RC planes, but I've never experienced the level of anxiety i do as when flying my quad.

The other thing I need to get use to doing is watching the monitor.. I'm so trained to watch what and where I'm flying that I have a hard time taking my eyes off the quad. Just going to take some time getting use to it I guess

Looking forward to shooting videos soon :)

I don't know if it ever does subside, for me anyway. Every time I take it out I feel like it's the last time we're going to be together.

Oh yeah, the screen's great fun when you start getting a bit further away :)

The 'sheer terror' usually subsides when you resign yourself to one simple fact: If you're gonna fly, you're gonna crash. It is inevitable. Resistance is futile.... you will be assimilated.
smiley_green_borg.gif

Hey guys, have been flying this PV2+ for about a month. I have no prior RC experience other than enjoying seeing others do it. I abandoned all hope about 10 min into my first open area flight. Turns out my depth perception of the "open area" wasn't good and we encountered a tree at high speed. A quick gulp as I ran over to the poor thing, lying on its side with two broken props, broken gimbal and a scratched camera. Oh well, replaced the gimbal anti drops and was back in the air with new props wizzzzing away.

After a month, I'm much better at flying or so I thought until some high grass got me. This time the black ribbon cable to the camera was broken. An expensive fix to get a whole new gimbal and cam. Oh well, I love this new toy, er tool and have something to do when not working.

I don't worry about crashing, I guess it's inevitable for noobs and experts alike. It's just the change in frequency of encounters!!

I believe it is a healthy anxiety - it keeps one on the cautious side, which is good. You'll notice (gathered from other statements) that when you let the anxiety go, then you will crash.

480sparky said:
The 'sheer terror' usually subsides when you resign yourself to one simple fact: If you're gonna fly, you're gonna crash. It is inevitable. Resistance is futile.... you will be assimilated.
smiley_green_borg.gif

Maybe if you're flying collective pitch helicopters, but it is possible to not crash if you know what you're doing. Ideally it's best to take steps and not jump into the Phantom series as your first RC experience. Get all your lessons in on cheaper craft then once you get to the Phantom you can fly without crashing (I'm still here and no crashes!).

The terror subsides each and every time you land it safely :)

DaveTown said:

Not really. The phantom is a kid with special needs. Transportation is worry now, even with the clamp on, I always wonder when the gimbal will fall off or malfunction.

I never had the terror the first few times I flew because I was flying simple, slow and easy. Nothing could possibly go wrong except for mechanical failure.
But after a while and getting more confident with it, I have moments of sheer terror from time to time. Usually when something happens for the first time.

Like the first time I flew out of range. I was BVR and lost the WiFi link before I lost control. I couldn't see it to bring it back and had no idea what direction it was facing. I used the RTH failsafe for the first time and I was really worried for the two minutes it took to fly back to visual range.
But today I took it out to over 800 meters and lost control first, but I was confident it would come back by itself and it did. No worries.

Then I flew it at the beach over the water about 30 meters out. I was a bit concerned since it was my first time flying over water. Nothing to fly into, so what could go wrong? Except mechanical failure. Or pilot error. If it hit the saltwater, that'd be the end of it. So I was freaking out a bit but I did it and it was fine.

Then today I was flying over fresh water with only 7 satellites in gusty wind. Not smart really. A gust of wind hit and I watched it wobble 15 feet over the river. My heart sank a bit and I decided to bring it in.

So even when the sheer terror goes away, be prepared for short moments of terror from time to time.

I have the same feeling.

I have my ups and downs though... one day I'm like "You bought it, you knew the risk" and another day I'm like "I'm not flying this until I paid off my credit card and have enough saved up for a replacement".

The terror susides about an hour after you realise she's either smashed to a gazillion pieces or 20,000 leauges under the sea, the nail in the terror coffin is when you order your next one but then terror seems to sneak its ugly head up again.
My rule: if you fly her, be prepared to lose her (on every flight) get over that rule in your head and you are half way there ;)

Safe and happy flying :)

Mako79 said:
DaveTown said:

Not really. The phantom is a kid with special needs. Transportation is worry now, even with the clamp on, I always wonder when the gimbal will fall off or malfunction.

Sounds like you need more mechanical integrity. I am confident in my setup as all upgrades were personally done by myself. Perhaps get yours checked out by a professional?

I am actually glad to hear others express their fears, I thought I was alone in that... It's funny to see Phantom Anonimous, as we confess our sins and fears to seek redemption and comfort. With my first Phantom, I took it all for granted and she flew well, so I was nervous, but I thought I would relax over time. Then one day I decided to push it (mistake) and took her up and over some skyscrapers in the city (on a very early Saturday morning), and lost sight of the thing... In a panick I switched off the Tx and later found out she had gone into RTH only to smash against a window on the 30th floor of one building.... That's when it hit that this thing requires a lot more care that I had given it! I went and bought a second one the next day, and she didn't fly as well until I did some work on her. Now it's better, but terror kicks in still when she's off into the sky and you can hardly see her anymore. Flying FPV and the signal breaking is my nightmare, not being sure where she's going and how to get her back. Now I'm waiting for a stage 2 FPVLR antenna kit to extend the range and be more confident I won't lose signal. But I'm already wondering how I'll cope with flying beyond visual range. So far every flight has put me somewhere between thrill and terror, but I'm still looking for the day when I'll know what I'm doing and when all of this technology will be nearly infallible.... And therein lies the grand illusion.

Mlaudisa said:
Then one day I decided to push it (mistake) and took her up and over some skyscrapers in the city (on a very early Saturday morning), and lost sight of the thing... In a panick I switched off the Tx and later found out she had gone into RTH only to smash against a window on the 30th floor of one building....

Yes, this "horror movie" is in one of the threads... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12610&start=420#p183639

Mlaudisa said:
I went and bought a second one the next day, and she didn't fly as well until I did some work on her.

Do you mind sharing what kind of work did you do?

I think the main issue is that it's a 3D machine versus a 2D plane. I tool to RC planes very quickly and by my third or fourth flight, I was barrel rolling and doing loops. The old timers is the RC club though I'd been flying for years and were surprised that It had been only a few weeks.

I think it all boils down to the fact that these thing can just fall from the sky. RC planes are much more forgiving. I've had engine failures on planes and was still able to glide it home. Motor failure on a quad.... goodnight!

I got my Phantom as a Christmas present. Two years before I had received a heli and broke it really bad within a few minutes. I was so scared, it sat on the counter for 4 days before I got the guts up to let'r rip. After I ran the first battery out, I handed the control to my 10 and 14 year olds. Each took it off, flew it, and landed it without incident, without any prior experience. At that point I realized there wasn't much to fear. 100 flights later, no incidents to report.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4