When do you stop watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRH

Reaction score
When do you get confedence of your tablet and not panic when you can't see the aircraft

It varies. If you know how to read and use the map and radar and have confidence in RTH operation and settings it might be your first flight.

When you have no choice but to not panic. I waited 4 minutes before RTH kicked in, and even then it was smart low battery RTH. After DAT file analysis, it seems the AC was still receiving from the RC, just nothing to the RC from the AC.

Reactions: Digdat0
In an effort to create a reputation that we are all responsible UAS operators.

If we fly with no visual line of site, we are increasing our (and others) exposure to risk. Any time we willingly choose to increase risk, we are jeopardizing the trust of others and their safety. We don't want regulatory agencies to have cause to mandate restrictions. Flying with no VLOS or flying in any way that increases risk will in time create a negative public perception of the drone community. Instead, it is our responsibility to create an image that drones are minimally intrusive and pose no threat. Otherwise we risk the inevitable involvement of overly aggressive regulatory agency restrictions.

I exercise this thing from wayyy back in the day called common sense.

There was just a guy out here that attached laser pointers to a drone and attempted to chase planes around near the airport.

It's okay though, cause he maintained LOS the whole time. [emoji23]

If I'm flying somewhere populated LOS is maintained. If I'm out over open land I'm 300'+ and miles [emoji137]

Reactions: WilliamM
In an effort to create a reputation that we are all responsible UAS operators.

If we fly with no visual line of site, we are increasing our (and others) exposure to risk. Any time we willingly choose to increase risk, we are jeopardizing the trust of others and their safety. We don't want regulatory agencies to have cause to mandate restrictions. Flying with no VLOS or flying in any way that increases risk will in time create a negative public perception of the drone community. Instead, it is our responsibility to create an image that drones are minimally intrusive and pose no threat. Otherwise we risk the inevitable involvement of overly aggressive regulatory agency restrictions.

I have to admit that even what I see as a lack of first impression tact, the point that was eventually made is valid.
I keep my mouth shut when I read the threads of those boasting about how high they went or how far they flew and that the FAA statements are not rules but suggestions so we don't have to follow them... Its kind of like; Its not a "rule or law" that you unload your weapon before looking down the barrel to clean it. But winners of the Darwin awards might now think it was a pretty good suggestion. Those that keep pressing those types of issues are going to be the first on the boards throwing a wall eyed hissy fit when Uncle Sam ends up following Canada and we quit being USA and become US"Eh" and can't fly anywhere with or without a license, waiver or permit.

I'm not a commercial licensed pilot of any kind. I have been flying R/C planes and heli's for years and my entry level Phantom 3S is a barrel of monkeys to fly (especially in ATTI mode)

Like 805HD mentioned. Common sense goes a long way
Just because you CAN... doesn't mean you should..

Bob
PS. I am wearing my flameproof underwear.. so...

Exactly Bob, before we know it we all could be facing the same rules as our Canadian friends are now suffering

I'd guess my question would be, why do they claim (advertised) the distances that the AC will fly(P3P ....3.5 miles?) and think you're going to be flying VLOS? The Mavic ads say something to the effect of "fly for miles from the palm of your hand". There are tons of threads about increasing distance and even farthest distance leaderboards. Seems a tad ironic.

You can, as advertised, fly further than your VLOS. To do it responsibly requires the use of visual observers along the flight path and at least 1 of you has a VLOS at all times and you have verified a reliable method of communication (cell phone or 2 way radio)

You can, as advertised, fly further than your VLOS. To do it responsibly requires the use of visual observers along the flight path and at least 1 of you has a VLOS at all times and you have verified a reliable method of communication (cell phone or 2 way radio)
In a perfect world, yes.

Rules can be broken intelligently but not all rule breakers are intelligent.

So what do you guys want? DJI to reduce distance out the box? Lol

@stones, honestly I can't tell you why they claim that other than to say that DJI sells world wide and the laws/rules/suggestions are most certainly different all over the world.
Flying miles from the palm of you hand or claiming 3.5 miles with a P3P isn't irony .. its marketing on a global scale. Take for example the ZR1 Corvette. Top speed is around 180+MPH but even in the most remote part of Texas the speed limit is 80MPH (according to TxDOT). So what do I do with the other 100+ MPH this thing can do?

Your avatar is a picture of what I assume is to be your bike. As a rider myself, I will almost bet that you spend all your time riding defensively. Your not so concerned with your skills, you know what they are. You are concerned with the people wizzing past you texting on a cell phone or screaming at the radio, spilling coffee in their lap or finding that french fry. Same goes for flying. You plan for the worst and refine your skills to deal with the worst the best you can. Full size aircraft pilots (private and commercial) spend countless hours planning and honing their flight skills. Not so much in the basics of flying but in how to handle crisis.

I just don't want to be that guy on the 6 o'clock news that the authorities are looking for when a drone 2.5 miles out suddenly loses a prop and crashes on the interstate causing a 20 car pile up with fatalities.

Bob

I took WAY to long to write this .. missed a lot..

Reactions: SharpeSnitch
When they say 3 miles I'm sure they don't have someone launching from their driveway in a populated neighborhood in mind.

Those are the guys that are ruining it. My long distance flights outside of town or at the beach don't bother a soul. I can guarantee that.

Reactions: skellyrocker
I have to apologize to the OP. The props came off of this one really fast ...
Did not intend to highjack your thread or your question.

Here is a thought toward your question. (MY thought only!!)
I don't know if it was ever really the intention of radio controlled hobby aircraft to be flown under IFR conditions.
The telemetry is a novelty at best and using a camera to claim VFR conditions is like petting an alligator. You'll get away with it for awhile, but then...................

The camera and telemetry is there for you to frame and view your pictures live so you know what your pointing at.

Enjoy your bird. I bought mine initially to film my animated Christmas display. Then the R/C bug bit me (again) and now I just go out in the pasture and fly.
Half the time I never hit the record button.

Bob

PS... AirMap says the temp is 79 degrees and the wind is 6MPH out of the south .. I'm hanging out my sign ... Gone Flyin !!

@bob_moodytx , thank you for a well thought out reply. And trust me, I agree with your content, fully. I was questioning what to me, seemed obvious, given the threads that abound with the whole distance thing. Responsibility is key here, regardless on how you intend, or not intend (malfunction) to fly. And the bike (50 panhead, jockey shift) ...way harder to fly then the drone. ;)

Reactions: weedoman
Sorry about the big debate I should have asked when is confedence gained to fly within all rules sorry again

Reactions: RW8888
Sorry about the big debate I should have asked when is confedence gained to fly within all rules sorry again

You have nothing to apologize for JRH! This thread/post went off the rails because the "new" members of this forum are a much,much more judgmental group than it used to be! Too many on the pp forum now are self righteous instead of supporting and it's actually caused a noticeable decline in the quality of this site over months past. It used to be a family of fliers and now it's a place where a simple question invites people who just signed up to think they have the right to criticize spelling and wish misfortune on your flights. It's gotten really bad! Good luck and gain confidence by experience.

You have nothing to apologize for JRH! This thread/post went off the rails because the "new" members of this forum are a much,much more judgmental group than it used to be! Too many on the pp forum now are self righteous instead of supporting and it's actually caused a noticeable decline in the quality of this site over months past. It used to be a family of fliers and now it's a place where a simple question invites people who just signed up to think they have the right to criticize spelling and wish misfortune on your flights. It's gotten really bad! Good luck and gain confidence by experience.

You forgot a space between "much,much"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj