When do you feel the need to upgrade firmware or software?

• 1.If it is working now, I keep the current version.

• 2. If there is a known safety issue.

• 3. If there is a new feature I can't fly without.

• 4. After others have flown and tested the new release.

• 5. As soon as the update is available, I turn into the guinea pig.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score

As soon as it comes out.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I update it as soon as it is released. So far not one single issue for me. My feeling is that if there is an issue identified that requires a fix I want it. Don't want to have a catastrophic failure only to find out that if I had updated I would have been ok. If DJI's update causes a problem I'll be glad to send them their copter to repair the damage they caused. At least that's my argument. I'm sure others feel the opposite.

Darryl

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

For me, its all the first three have to come into play...

1. If it is working now, I keep the current version.
2. If there is a known safety issue.
3. If there is a new feature I can't fly without.

My thought about software/firmware upgrades is to wait and read what people are saying to rule out any bugs. Same thing I used to do in IT when Microsoft would come out with service packs and fixes.

I just finally updated my 1.4 to 1.6 trying to see if it would correct a poor channel quality message I picked up after DJI Go auto updated on me to 2.5.

I upgrade as soon as the update is available but I certainly don't feel like a "Guinea Pig", I'm pretty confident DJI tests the FW before releasing it.

As soon as they come out. I agree with Cale262; I don't feel like a guinea pig at all. I've spent a lifetime working with PCs and other devices of all types, and seen new OSs that usually fix more than they break each time. How many people don't update their iPhone obsessively with each new release? This is new technology -- and overall, DJI has shown decent progress with each update.

Its not all about fixing broke stuff. Its not about breaking new stuff. Its about sneaking in back door crap like the forced NFZs for example.

Reactions: Cale262 and n6vmo
Upgrading firmware has become less of a rational choice and more of a game of chance. DJI release notes for each fw upgrade is disingenuous at best. Too many revision levels of GO app, fw in RC, fw on phantom (public vs SDK), and fw on battery. NFZ and GEO implementation in upgrades were never disclosed.

I am fairly new to this but I also update as they are released. I have found DJI's software testing to have improved a huge amount over what it was. They appear to have hired some good managers who ensure quality now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
I also update as soon as it comes out. I do that for all devices I own. The only bad update bad choice I made was Windows 8[emoji37].
I almost agree with you about Windows 8 (actually I do). But with 8.1 they moved forward, and 10 is much better!

Ultimately, I learned to like even he original 8, after I made peace with its "bi-polar" nature -- the traditional vs. tablet interfaces in the same OS. Glad they've moved on, though.

I feel the same way about DJI. How else can they push the boundaries except by pushing the boundaries? These are not military- or industrial-grade machines. They're decent sports cameras on mass-produced toy helicopters at an amazing price for what they offer.

Its not all about fixing broke stuff. Its not about breaking new stuff. Its about sneaking in back door crap like the forced NFZs for example.

I can understand your position about implementing new "stuff" that we may or may not like but I look at it from the perspective that DJI is on our side and they may not have a lot of choice. These new Implementations may be in place to ensure that they can continue to sell their product and may be a compromise saving us from more invasive rules that the authorities would love to put in place. That's just my personal opinion though.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
I have up to this point updated when received a notice about it. I haven't had an issue yet and though I've only had my P3P since November I fly almost every day. Never had an issue because of the firmwear on it.

I personally will wait to update my phantom as I don't really want it finding gaps in DJI test execution. People are only human and make mistakes, DJI is not exempt from this. If my rig is working, I'll keep using it that way until an update has been pushed through the public without issue.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I purchased my p3p a month ago I installed the sd card I purchased and it flys well. When I first turn on it says firmware upgrade required. Why

Well it all changed when dji snuck in geo fencing, upto that point i was updating immediately.

Now I got a new P3A its staying at 1.4 which has the features but no limitations.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Spoke once with a person working in Dji. She said they have bunch of people who have a job of flying the drones all day. Testing them and the firmware.
Its not that they just release something for us to check if its better. So i update right away.

1.3.02 works great :) I don't want to be a beta tester, it's just not my thing. But I must say thanks to the beta testers that work hard to prepare the updates for us.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20