When adding a larger tablet

Reaction score
Like an iPad Air 2.
What controller support do you use for the weight while flying in the standing position?

I use the Air 2 in the stock mount without issues. It's not that heavy overall for me. It needs a sun-shield in bright sun though but there are a lot of those out there to pick from. Some might like a neckstrap, but I don't like those around my neck nor do I like normal camera ones either. It's really a personal preference thing.

Agreed. I'm an old(ish) fart and the weight of my iPad Air has never been an issue, even with a hood.

That said, sometimes I do use a neck strap, more to help with the balance. But I don't find it necessary.

After almost 30 years with RC helicopters a neck strap is just 2nd nature to me. Don't know how to hold "heavy" transmitters (safely) without one. Will be 72 in August, so I'm a GEEZER.

Just my $.02

Reactions: wolf~928
I use the Air 2 in the stock mount without issues. It's not that heavy overall for me. It needs a sun-shield in bright sun though but there are a lot of those out there to pick from. Some might like a neckstrap, but I don't like those around my neck nor do I like normal camera ones either. It's really a personal preference thing.
Does the sun shield fit with the Air 2 using the stock mount?
Any preference on sun shield brand?

For about 4$ you could make your on ,out of black foam board,check YouTube. Plenty of vids,I like the one I made

Does the sun shield fit with the Air 2 using the stock mount?
Any preference on sun shield brand?
This is the one I use and it works great. There are a lot of similar ones at Amazon, just make sure you get one that's for 9.7-inch tablets: Amazon.com: Aboom Phantom 4 Remote Controller Monitor Hood Sunshade Sun Hood and Cleaning Cloth for Tablets (9.7 inch iPad Pro iPad Air Ipad Air 2 ): Computers & Accessories

As far as stock mounts, I don't know which drone you have so I don't know what mount you have. I use an Inspire 1 tablet mount.

This is the one I use and it works great. There are a lot of similar ones at Amazon, just make sure you get one that's for 9.7-inch tablets: Amazon.com: Aboom Phantom 4 Remote Controller Monitor Hood Sunshade Sun Hood and Cleaning Cloth for Tablets (9.7 inch iPad Pro iPad Air Ipad Air 2 ): Computers & Accessories

As far as stock mounts, I don't know which drone you have so I don't know what mount you have. I use an Inspire 1 tablet mount.
I'm getting a Phantom 3A. Thanks.

Like an iPad Air 2.
What controller support do you use for the weight while flying in the standing position?
The LG tablet just barely fits into the clip fully extended and is therefore tight, but some care is needed to not dump the tablet from the side.the balance of the whole thing takes some getting used to also. I am looking at a velcro strap on the back of the tablet that would mitigate the dumping and will report back if it's not a total kluge.

I had the white DJI neck strap fail on me with a Tab S2 on the mount. The clasp failed and dropped the remove with tablet right on the asphalt (oh no, it couldn't have fallen on the nice fluffy grass).

I use the shoulder straps now, they feel more sturdy.

From my college years I gained enough arm strength to do 16 oz curls for hours on end. But seriously, I find that holding the remote for 30 minutes max is not tough enough to risk a strap failure, also the large tablet interferes with the strap. Other option that works well is using the DJI case or other as a 'table' and or sun screen so if it does pitch, the controller rolls into the lid.

I think Nigel has the coolest setup with the RC mounted to a tray,,with shoulder straps,,only thing missing is a beer holder,,lol

Reactions: 805hd
As I've had to explain myself to a few landowners where we have access easements for survey and other work, I try to be as unobtrusive as I can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers