What's your current Range?

Reaction score
Using Blackpearl and- Immersion RC - 600 mW Transmitter - 5.8 GHz

All stock except for a VAS 3-turn Helical antenna on the Blackpearl,

Signal breaks up at roughly 300-350 or so...so far maxed out at about 400 meters.

Awaiting new TS/TS spironets to see if there are any improvements. It definitely isn't the 700meters advertised.

Boscam TS351 200 mW 5.8 GHz TX - 3 leaf Cloverleaf whip antenna (Pointing straight down)
Boscam RC805 RX - 4 leaf Cloverleaf whip antenna (Pointing straight up):
I had the RX on a 2m high stand and it feeds into a Polaroid DVD player that has a composite input.

Phantom V1.0 with stock transmitter.

I just got back from a 1250m flight, and could have gone further out but fought a headwind to get that far.
I had very little to no static at that distance while facing away, and occasional static on the way back (beyond 1km)
then it cleared right up.

2-Balls

STI_Jaguar said:

Signal breaks up at roughly 300-350 or so...so far maxed out at about 400 meters.

Awaiting new TS/TS spironets to see if there are any improvements. It definitely isn't the 700meters advertised.

I have the same kit as you except I have a Horizon 5 turn Black Hawk on my BP. Been out to 3385m so far.

Boscam 200 mw
Chinese cloverleaf Skew (Banggood cheap and cheerfull) Tx
Simon (Bignose13) Cloverleaf Skew & 5 turn Helical on Black Pearl.
1600m.

I found the Banggood skews combo good for 800m plus before dropout and fuzziness. I`ve no doubt Simons` skew set and helical antennas are good for a long, long way further than my battery will take me and indeed the received picture on the BP was excellent with the helical doing a great job. The limiting factor is the battery and my nerve :lol:

STI_Jaguar said:

Seriously? I'm using Blackpearl and Immersion 600mw Tx and Spironet antennas both ends, plus one small whip antenna on Rx and I'm getting 90% picture perfect clarity at 2000m. See some of my videos on YT (Pete P). I've ordered a directional patch antenna to see if Ican improve on this again. You must be using yours in some pretty built up areas? I find that at anything over 1000m I need to be at an altitude of at least 150m and out at 2000m range I need to be up around 200-250 AGL. I have made some mods to my controller antenna and also my Immersion Tx antenna set up but none of it is rocket science, easy, cheap and effective.

PetePerrim said:
STI_Jaguar said:

Seriously? I'm using Blackpearl and Immersion 600mw Tx and Spironet antennas both ends, plus one small whip antenna on Rx and I'm getting 90% picture perfect clarity at 2000m. See some of my videos on YT (Pete P). I've ordered a directional patch antenna to see if Ican improve on this again. You must be using yours in some pretty built up areas? I find that at anything over 1000m I need to be at an altitude of at least 150m and out at 2000m range I need to be up around 200-250 AGL. I have made some mods to my controller antenna and also my Immersion Tx antenna set up but none of it is rocket science, easy, cheap and effective.
I can't seem to get any range with the Immersion 600mw VTX and the Black Pearl. running Sprironets, CP's, and tried Skewar Planar's...furthest was 400m, but have serious break up and intermittent complete loss at 200M. Altitude doesn't matter.
And, this is on a 800MM Hex with retracts-so the antenna is the lowest thing on the aircraft throughout a turn.

I'm about to give up on the "air wave" frequencies(those ending on 0), and swap that VTX out for one that does non-airwave(frequencies ending in 05).
Also-flew the P2 Today, using the Black Pearl, non-airwave frequencies(AVL58), and had a TS832 receiver with a short CP plugged into my goggles. The monitor stopped receiving at 600M...the goggles had crystal clear video past 1000M.

So-that tells me the Black Pearl does not work well with the Immersion. At least not in my area. I've tried changing channels, and yes I'm in diversity mode, know what channel I'm on-and have good antenna's.
I've been doing this awhile, and used to have a Boscam receiver/monitor-but the DC IN plug broke off inside-so it's junk now. Went with the Black Pearl because I thought it would be a good match for the Immersion.

Either I have a bad VTX...or I don't know. I think for me at least-the simplest solution is to buy a different monitor/receiver, and go with the 05ghz frequencies.

I will say on previous flights, with the TS832 VTX, and the Boscam type monitor-I went over 1600M with video....lost R/C before losing video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj