What's up with my night time images?

Thanks for the DNG. It's definitely strange. Everything is fine except the blackest blacks which have random full brightness red, green, blue, magenta, yellow, and cyan dots. As if it doesn't know how to handle black. I tried running that DNG through the DJI DNG cleaner figuring maybe that's what it's for... but the DNG cleaner corrupted the output DNG file so that nothing could read it. Is that DNG straight from the camera card? Or was it resaved via some other software?

Mike
It's strange as hell isnt it mate, doing my head in a bit lol, yes this file is straight from the micro sd card and has not been processed or messed with in any way, shape or form

Without taking a lot of time to fool with this.

Like I said - learn to fly first, then learn about how to use the camera.
Do you judge if someone can fly simply simply by if they use auto or not, to be fair it's the only time I have used auto, I fly in atti mode and never trust the automated features like RTH or auto land etc, sorry again if I am coming across blunt mate.

Just seen your attempt at the edit on my picture, looks very nice, well done

Wasn't meant to be rude. Just stating facts without more knowledge of what your skills are than you posted. You said you're shooting in auto mode. Especially at night - that doesn't work well. I obviously don't know what your abilities are.

However, Just from the changes in settings to see what's under the photo, it's pretty clear the problems are the settings used.

Have a great day.

Wasn't meant to be rude. Just stating facts without more knowledge of what your skills are than you posted. You said you're shooting in auto mode. Especially at night - that doesn't work well. I obviously don't know what your abilities are.

However, Just from the changes in settings to see what's under the photo, it's pretty clear the problems are the settings used.

Have a great day.
ok i am sorry for being blunt

it was the first and last time i will be shooting in auto mode, not sure why i did to be honest, think it was like 3am and i was so tired i just stuck it in auto, which was a bad bad move on my behalf

you have a nice day too Steve, and hopefully speak again soon, thank you kindly for taking the time to reply :)

Lastly - EVERYONE has to stop blaming the camera for their lack of photograph skills - if you're using "auto" settings - you're willing to take what you get. I'm not.
People shouldn't blame auto either.
Shooting auto won't spray red and blue dots all over your image, it will give you a reasonably well exposed shot.
And the idea that using auto means you aren't a discerning photographer isn't necessarily valid
If you don't know what you are doing with a camera you can get equally bad results in auto or manual.

It's strange as hell isnt it mate, doing my head in a bit lol, yes this file is straight from the micro sd card and has not been processed or messed with in any way, shape or form

Yeah, I've not seen anything like it but I guess it is what it is. :) It appears that they are doing some local sensitivity calculations, probably to improve dynamic range. When there is even a little light, the sensor is probably able to get a good black level. In an area of the image that is so dark that all you pick up is sensor noise, it appears to overshoot the sensitivity and you end up with hot pixels due to the sensitivity being set lower than the noise floor. IMO, it shouldn't happen (probably could be fixed in firmware) but it does look like maybe that's just the way auto works on this platform and the best solution is to just shoot manual as suggested.

Edit: I have to say I'm highly impressed with the cameras on these things. IMO, they put GoPro and similar cameras to shame. The fact that you have DSLR-like feature (while flying no less) is incredible, and the quality actually rivals some of my DSLR cameras in many shots.

Mike

Last edited:
but it does look like maybe that's just the way auto works on this platform and the best solution is to just shoot manual as suggested.
Shooting in auto is not the problem.
The OP stated that i took the images in jpeg and raw, the jpegs are fine but the raws come out like this.
If there was a problem with auto, it would show up in the jpg files as well.

Shooting in auto is not the problem.
The OP stated that i took the images in jpeg and raw, the jpegs are fine but the raws come out like this.
If there was a problem with auto, it would show up in the jpg files as well.

I took that to mean he shot in JPEG+RAW mode and it saved two files. The fact that the JPEG is clean (albeit dull) means one of two things: (1) the camera can take the "bad" data in the raw and clean it up or (2) the data pipeline for JPEG capture is separate from raw and isn't affected by the raw file problem. Normally a JPEG is just a developed rendition of the raw but it's possible that the JPEG is processed separately too, and is not subect to this "local contrast" issue seen in the raw. Hard to tell anything definitive without knowing the internal architecture/coding. IF shooting in manual mode doesn't suffer from the same problem, I'd think it likely that "auto" applies that local contrast algorithm that causes the hot pixels in near black areas while shooting in manual mode may turn that off. Again, hard to say without having the source code so all this is just guessing.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik