What's the word on flying drones over Niagara Falls

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently at Niagara Falls and brought my P3P with me. I was wondering what are the rules if any on flying the drone around the water falls. I'm currently on the Canada side but returning tomorrow to the US side.

Great location for aerial photography! I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

From my knowledge if anyone in the proper capacity in Canada (while on the Canadian side) will ask you to land it. The US however I have heard of no instances of issues. Not to say they haven't happened though. FAA regs are fly under 400ft and go for it. Link to FAA site for clarification: https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/.

Happy flying and post the vids!

Reactions: skyhighdiver
that mist rising up is also wind rising up. will be a dangerous flight. keep it well over the falls or land and you should be fine though.

Not my vid, just wanted to share what could be :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Lgibson100
I wonder if technically you can't fly over the center point in going to the American side. That would be putting your drone in American airspace wouldn't it?

Considering the roaring water a phantom won't be intrusive provided you can find a safe reasonably quiet take-off point.
With the P3's greater range and connection stability you could start from rather further away so as not to draw undue attention.
Best option will be early in the day.

Hey guys, I'm currently at Niagara Falls and brought my P3P with me. I was wondering what are the rules if any on flying the drone around the water falls. I'm currently on the Canada side but returning tomorrow to the US side.
So, how'd you make out? I live in the area, about half an hour away, but I haven't flown there yet.

Considering the roaring water a phantom won't be intrusive provided you can find a safe reasonably quiet take-off point.
With the P3's greater range and connection stability you could start from rather further away so as not to draw undue attention.
Best option will be early in the day.
Yes i noticed in the US side there is a nice big park on the falls with plenty of areas away from crowds to safely and discretely take off.

No rules. Fly safe. There is nothing to worry abooot, even you glue some goodies to your drone flying away from freaking Canada.

The regulations for flying in Canada are quite relaxed compared to FAA. If you are not using the quad for commercial purposes flying over the falls will be no problem at all.

Here is an article on a Canadian who was fined $1000 for flying over the falls in Canadian air space:

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2014/12/27/montrealer-fined-1000-fine-for-flying-drone

And it appears that on the US side, the airspace may be restricted - it seems it is reserved for tours in small planes and copters, according to some sources you need special permission to fly in the area;

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018487083

However there a lot of great Niagara Falls videos on Youtube, so not sure what enforcement is like.

It seems to be about using it commercially for real estate?
That's what I got out of the article .
I like how they sent the fine after it was to be paid .

It seems to be about using it commercially for real estate?

Bwhahaha, I'm either truly an idiot, or linked the wrong article! I swear this was not the article I thought it was....oh well. I will accept "idiot" for now though...

Reactions: 750r

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic