What's the highest elevation you can operate a Phantom?

Reaction score
Tried launching my Phantom on the top of Whistler Mountain (2180 metres or 7152 feet). There were gusty winds; I estimated 20 km/h.

I launched the Phantom- but then got nervous and landed it before it blew off.

But at what elevation have others run their Phantoms? Has anyone tried it on on Pikes Peak (14,115 feet or 4302 metres) in Colorado?

Hello,

I'm from Colorado and this is one of my aspirations is to fly it off a 14er and I'm real nervous about it. I have taken my phantom up to the mountains and have flown it many times between 7 and 8 thousand feet and it flys great. I can't tell any difference than flying it in Denver at 5,000ft. Pike peak will undoubtedly be the test 14er since ill be able to drive to the top with all the extra blades and batteries ect. I've got a lot going on over the 4th but I am trying to squeeze it in somewhere this weekend, we'll see. Will post vid if I'm able to get it done.

Any advise before my adventure will be greatly appreciated. What size blades? should I go with a higher discharge battery? Have gopro and fpv, may have to strip it down for first test flight.

Dskier79 said:
Hello,

I'm from Colorado and this is one of my aspirations is to fly it off a 14er and I'm real nervous about it. I have taken my phantom up to the mountains and have flown it many times between 7 and 8 thousand feet and it flys great. I can't tell any difference than flying it in Denver at 5,000ft. Pike peak will undoubtedly be the test 14er since ill be able to drive to the top with all the extra blades and batteries ect. I've got a lot going on over the 4th but I am trying to squeeze it in somewhere this weekend, we'll see. Will post vid if I'm able to get it done.

Any advise before my adventure will be greatly appreciated. What size blades? should I go with a higher discharge battery? Have gopro and fpv, may have to strip it down for first test flight.

Take off all the FPV stuff to lighten the load, then get some video while flying LOS. You probably don't want to roam around too far away with your Phantom up there, at least until you find out how it handles. The last time I was up there at the top it was hella windy, but maybe that won't be a factor when you go.

I've flown it on Gunaella Pass, elevation 11,600 if I am not mistaken. Didn't really notice a difference between there and flying at 8,200 where I live. Here is the video, flying on the pass starts towards the end of it... http://vimeo.com/70300410

Btw, It was with stock battery and stock blades...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic