What's the coldest flying temp?

About -5 Celsius / 23 Fahrenheit. Have lost gps on one occasion (about 30 seconds) but fine otherwise. Keeping the batteries warm before flying is integral (inside of jacket is advised) and some loss of flight time must be assumed regardless.

Reactions: AlexVotan
Personally 29 F, but I've read plenty of posts from people who live in places like Alaska who have flown in temps near and below zero F with no problems. You must have a warm battery, of course.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
About -5 Celsius / 23 Fahrenheit. Have lost gps on one occasion (about 30 seconds) but fine otherwise. Keeping the batteries warm before flying is integral (inside of jacket is advised) and some loss of flight time must be assumed regardless.

At 70 years old my limit is 60F. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KingDad1985
Routinely fly 26-30F without issue - keeping batteries warm in car before flight. Need to also keep tablet warm before flight (lesson learned on my part).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thank you. I can probably just set it outside and do an IMU that way it gets a cold imu

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Until the craft temperature reaches the IMU set temperature, it won't fly. If you carry IMU calibration at 40F and when you fly at 20 F , it will wait till it reaches 40F. If you are ready to wait, that's ok too as you know what's stopping it from taking off.

Until the craft temperature reaches the IMU set temperature, it won't fly. If you carry IMU calibration at 40F and when you fly at 20 F , it will wait till it reaches 40F. If you are ready to wait, that's ok too as you know what's stopping it from taking off.

Right. Makes perfect sense. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I flew a P4 last week on three properties at -15F. Tablet had to be warmed up on one occasion and finished with an I Phone, but I didn't experience any major problems. I normally wouldn't fly that cold, but forecast was going from bad to worse and client needed it done. I flew the P4 and P4P two days ago at a -4 F and both flew extremely well.

I've flown at 32F with no problems. I leave the craft outside for a short time but always keep the batteries in the heated truck until I'm ready to fly. A couple of things to consider though. At very cold temps the plastic can get more brittle and a crash could result in more damage than at warmer temps. Also be careful when bringing a cold craft into a warm and humid interior after flying. You don't want condensation to form on any of the internal parts, battery contacts or camera lens (or inside the camera).

Andrew

Reactions: alokbhargava
I flew the P4P in just below freezing temps and noticed a common occurence with the gimbal.

After one flight I let the P4P sit outdoors on the ground for about 30 minutes while flying a different drone. This allowed the Phantom to take on the outdoor temp fully without movement.

After 30 mins when I inserted a fresh battery into the P4P and turned it on, it went through the startup moving the gimbal, except it would not stop moving the gimbal therefore flight was not possible. Each time I restarted the Phantom the same problem occured. To fix the problem I wrapped my hand around the gimbal to warm it up. After 1 minute of hand warming I tried again and all was fine.

Sent from my SM-P550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4