What's it cost to fly

Reaction score
Good after noon fellow fliers, Does anyone know what it cost to fly the Phantom3 on one battery (per flight). I would like to know what it is costing me per flight, and it is just my curiosity. A friend of mine asked " how much does it cost you to fly each time?" , well I never gave it much thought as I fly cause I just like to fly. But!, now I am curious. Thank you for any thoughts!

what ever your electric bill is to charge battery or gas to drive somewhere

but then you would have to factor in wear and tear on bird?

Depends on how many flights you get. If you crash on the first flight. Lots.

The electricity is peanuts compared to the rest of the costs.

I ballparked the cost at approx 2.50 - 3$ per flight for my year and a half. such a workhorse! I have over 500 flights on my P2V+ v2.0 still going but has been donated to my children. I initially paid 900 for the bird (open box on amazon)+ 300 for accessories (a case, extra 3 extra batteries ND filters and CF props).
only repair was a landing gear due to a low altitude VRS crash. also a 3d printer can help reduce the cost by printing other accessories that might be needed like a sunshade etc.

I'd say the cost per flight wouldn't even be calculable. $150 for a battery, that gets many hundreds of flights. $18 per motor, IF it were to ever wear out after (How many?) hundreds of flights. Like another poster said, the electric cost of charging a battery and your gas to drive to the flight. I can see a little "Wear and tear" over the course of A LOT of time and flights, but barring a crash, there's really not much else that's getting real wear and tear.

What are the typical lifetimes of the P3 batts. experienced thus far?

The P2s were lucky to get 60-70. So your looking at $2 per flight???

I heard 200

Isn't the warranty 6 months and 200 charges or less?

Someone once told me it cost 20.00 every time you fly. that is with the Phantom2 Vision Plus. I don't know how he came up with that, but this is the reason I asked my question. I guess no one fly's for a profession. I was curious is all. thanks!

Here is the way I look at it:
My P3A cost $1000 US, The Go app says my 1 battery has been charged 84 times. That would be 1000/84 = $11.90 per flight so far.
Each additional flight will reduce that cost per flight until I have a loss. At that point I could add the cost of repair to the original cost of the P3 and keep dividing or just move on. At this point it's always a thrill and it always performs flawlessly.
Kind of expensive for a 15 minute flight, isn't it?
Let's hope I hear a motor needing replacement before I see it falling from the sky ('~')

If you really want to be pedantic, then you may have to factor in your car fuel price used up to travel to and back from the locations.

Too hard to work it out. I just enjoy my flights, and not to worry too much the cost now that I have already spent the money on my P3 :D

If you really want to be pedantic, then you may have to factor in your car fuel price used up to travel to and back from the locations.

Too hard to work it out. I just enjoy my flights, and not to worry too much the cost now that I have already spent the money on my P3 :D

I just like knowing that with each consecutive successful flight, the P3 becomes a better value. I feel pretty good about it with a year successful flights. (mostly successful, but I haven't had to spend any money for repairs.)

This is cocktail napkin math so if someone can please check me:

The stock Phantom 3 battery is rated at 68Wh and the average cost for electricity in the US is 12 cents per kWh.
So assuming the battery takes the full 68Wh (0.068kWh) it would be roughly 0.068kWh * $0.12 = $0.008.
Now the charger is not 100% efficient so lets just say $0.01 per charge.

Reactions: Dounin Front
This is cocktail napkin math so if someone can please check me:

The stock Phantom 3 battery is rated at 68Wh and the average cost for electricity in the US is 12 cents per kWh.
So assuming the battery takes the full 68Wh (0.068kWh) it would be roughly 0.068kWh * $0.12 = $0.008.
Now the charger is not 100% efficient so lets just say $0.01 per charge.
On a tight budget, are we? (Just kidding :)

Let's hope I hear a motor needing replacement before I see it falling from the sky ('~')
I did.. DJI replaced it.. I had a little over 1M feet on mine.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did.. DJI replaced it.. I had a little over 1M feet on mine.

That's too bad, but good that they stepped up and replaced it.
I wonder what the normal service life of the version1 P3 motor is? Probably just fly till it screeches or won't hold altitude. While I only have about 20hrs on it, yours only had a minute and I had a LaTrax that needed motors every hour - but it didn't weigh 3 lbs.
I don't worry too much unless it's a mile out and on the other side of a creek.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31