what's inside an intelligent battery?

Reaction score
After a couple severe crashes, had battery that refuses to charge...so being an inquisitive sort, I took it apart-
outside and away from anything flammable. Lots of electronics and some hairy thick wires going to the
charging port. I don't see anything out of order-don't know why it won't charge. If I press the power button
and hold it, it shows all 4 lights -which is supposed to indicate good battery health.

Attachments

• 20170109_113838_resized.jpg
    20170109_113838_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 662
  • 20170109_113842_resized.jpg
    20170109_113842_resized.jpg
    856 KB · Views: 627
  • 20170109_115602_resized.jpg
    20170109_115602_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 642
Id like to know if removing the board would still render the lipo from not being usable and or disabling the telemetry. In all acounts, it should still be a usable lipo unless a cell has gone bad, and if thats the case, the motherboard could be protecting you from doing more damage!

Id check all the cells and definitely discharge it to 3.80 before working on it! A fully charged lipo when shorting it out can explode!

Be careful, but id like to see what you find out!

Before throwing it in the fire could you possibly remove the foil from around the cells and look for any factory markings. Even dimensions would be handy. I am sure more than one of us is keen to replace cells in old packs.

Cripes, don't throw it in the fire, rubbish or recycle bin. If it isn't very old (in time or cycles) and its showing 90 to 100% life left (with the four LEDs on) its still valuable. Part of the electronics maybe kaput so just swap them out with another expired battery and you most likely will have a good battery at minimal cost. Check your individual cell voltages carefully during the first flight, I wouldn't want you to add to the "accident" list again!!

Listen to the group... Ive swapped out bad cells before and have brought new life into my lipos. Plus its good to explore a bit to see what make these things tick. Just be careful and watch some videos on how to do it properly. Even if you short a lipo (briefly) it wont damage it.... At least not very badly.

Just know that a charged lipo is MUCH more dangerous that a stable 3.80v per cell lipo.

Have a bucket of salt water close by and work outside. If you do short it and a cell starts to puff..... Stop!

Listen to the group... Ive swapped out bad cells before and have brought new life into my lipos. Plus its good to explore a bit to see what make these things tick. Just be careful and watch some videos on how to do it properly. Even if you short a lipo (briefly) it wont damage it.... At least not very badly.

Just know that a charged lipo is MUCH more dangerous that a stable 3.80v per cell lipo.

Have a bucket of salt water close by and work outside. If you do short it and a cell starts to puff..... Stop!
The water does not need to contain salt. To the extent salt was added it would simply increase conductivity which may help a pack intended for disposal to discharge but will get no benefit in extinguishing a fire.

True... And like you said, it will render the lipo in a discharged state and a safe disposal state.

As far as i know, if a lipo catches fire there is nothing you can do until it burns out.

I was told that the bucket of salt water will help keeping the lipo from reching the combustion state.... True or false, i have yet found out!

True... And like you said, it will render the lipo in a discharged state and a safe disposal state.

As far as i know, if a lipo catches fire there is nothing you can do until it burns out.

I was told that the bucket of salt water will help keeping the lipo from reching the combustion state.... True or false, i have yet found out!
The salt water will provide for slow and complete discharge (due to the conductivity). Full discharge will render the pack safe so it seems what you were told has merit. I have seen it frequently recommended as a safe disposal method.

Rapid unplanned deconstruction of the pack almost certainly can't be stopped once commenced but there is probably a lot you can do to contain the event. Water will provide rapid cooling (particularity if he cells are immersed).

I'm all for seeing it on fire and explode. Throw a few lighters in there too. Go on... Make great footage. Could hover the drone above it and film it on the phone so you get two angles. Stay well back tho.... "Kaboom"

Neon Euc

I was actually joking about throwing it into the fire. But my son want to shoot it with one of our guns while filming it with
his high speed camera.
Awww kinda excited at seeing an explosion. How about shooting it, then putting it in the fire *fingers crossed* [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Neon Euc

I vote to burn it.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Fairly destructive bunch of rogues we seem to have on here, I vote the other way, please carefully take it apart and see what you can decipher, far more satisfying in the long term than the short term gratification of a fireworks display. If you really want to blow something up just throw a box of used aerosol cans in the fire.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Fairly destructive bunch of rogues we seem to have on here, I vote the other way, please carefully take it apart and see what you can decipher, far more satisfying in the long term than the short term gratification of a fireworks display. If you really want to blow something up just throw a box of used aerosol cans in the fire.
Now that's an idea. Aerosol cans with the battery... I like where this is going [emoji6]

Neon Euc

is it possible to overload it and make it explode? while filming it with a P4?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1