Whats better 30fps or 60fps?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm think of changing to 60fps. I feel that 30fps doesn't allow you much room to correct speed of panning etc in the edit. If you look at the video, some shots have a jitter or stutter to them.

Does anyone have experience shooting 60fps and being able to successfully slow down footage with out the jitter? I would also like to see the difference between the two. Is it worth the larger file sizes?

Thanks

Hello
I fooled with it for a while, burst that time my iPhone would freeze up on 60 frames per second, so I was forced to use 30fps. The quality is no different, as you are still filming at 1080p or whatever? Although it might clear up your issues!
1st and foremost, always make sure your props are balanced, and track correctly, this is the best thing you can do for clean video!
Balanced= one blade verses other blade, weight equal.
Track = the distance each blade TIP, is from the phantom shell
Let me explain
If one tip is BENT UPWARDS, while other is straight and level, can cause a disturbance in balance and wind turbulence, so they must track the same! I spin each prop while on my craft, measuring the distance from prop TIP, to my phantom top shell, distance should be EQUAL!
Then balance my props on a prop balancer, here are some pics:

Here is balance
IMG_0072.JPG

Here is tracking
IMG_0074.JPG

Next
30fps is taking 30 frames per every second you shoot video whatever the setting ( 1080p or? )
Where
60fps is taking 60 frames per every second of video, same principle as slow motion cameras, except they take insane numbers of frames per second, so 60 may clear up some of the things you describe, or at least mellow them down, so they aren't so noticeable!

Get those props balanced and tracked, then do a flight with 30fps, land, change to 60fps, and do the same flight again, then compare the 2.

Keep in mind 60fps requires DOUBLE the memory space as 30fps! And also if your device ( phone/tablet ) can handle it? Mine would seize up after a few seconds!

Hope this helps!
Also shooting RAW FORMAT, will give you more control in editing!

H Dot
:cool:

Reactions: igor.L
Hello
I fooled with it for a while, burst that time my iPhone would freeze up on 60 frames per second, so I was forced to use 30fps. The quality is no different, as you are still filming at 1080p or whatever? Although it might clear up your issues!
1st and foremost, always make sure your props are balanced, and track correctly, this is the best thing you can do for clean video!
Let me explain
If one tip is BENT UPWARDS, while other is straight and level, can cause a disturbance in balance and wind turbulence, so they must track the same! I spin each prop while on my craft, measuring the distance from prop TIP, to my phantom top shell, distance should be EQUAL!

Here is balance
View attachment 85118

Here is tracking
View attachment 85119

Next
30fps is taking 30 frames per every second you shoot video whatever the setting ( 1080p or? )
Where
60fps is taking 60 frames per every second of video, same principle as slow motion cameras, except they take insane numbers of frames per second, so 60 may clear up some of the things you describe, or at least mellow them down, so they aren't so noticeable!

Get those props balanced and tracked, then do a flight with 30fps, land, change to 60fps, and do the same flight again, then compare the 2.

Keep in mind 60fps requires DOUBLE the memory space as 30fps! And also if your device ( phone/tablet ) can handle it? Mine would seize up after a few seconds!

Hope this helps!

H Dot

[EXPLETIVE REMOVED] had never even considered the stuff about the propeller being incorrectly set up. Will definetly checked that when I get back because I know my props aren't perfect. They have very slight chips. I should be able to handle the 60fps and the double file size.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
i edit my movies as 24fps as thats what films are filmed in, think im right there.

Although if i had a P4 i would prob film in 60fps and see which looks better. sometimes 60 looks better than 24 but 24fps gives a film style finish

Thanks for the advice

i edit my movies as 24fps as thats what films are filmed in, think im right there.

Although if i had a P4 i would prob film in 60fps and see which looks better. sometimes 60 looks better than 24 but 24fps gives a film style finish

So proper balancing requires the correct application of an Electric Field, I just knew it!
What output voltage coil will I need? [emoji12]

Reactions: J Dot
Hello
Let me explain

Here is balance
View attachment 85118

Here is tracking
View attachment 85119

Next
Where

Hope this helps!

H Dot
Are you sure 60fos requires twice the memory of 30? I think it's around 30% (i.e 65mb/s for 60fps vs 50mb/s for 50fps).

Are you sure 60fos requires twice the memory of 30? I think it's around 30% (i.e 65mb/s for 60fps vs 50mb/s for 50fps).

I believe you are more accurate than I,
Although there are a lot of other things to consider, ( iOS settings, memory card quality, and size of SD card, also size of frame settings ( pixel x pixel ), etc.

I think 30% is a good all around number!
I was just trying to keep it simple, lol!
BUT:
I stand CORRECTED!:)

Take care,
J Dot

Although there are a lot of other things to consider, ( iOS settings, memory card quality, and size of SD card, also size of frame settings ( pixel x pixel ), etc.

BUT:

Take care,
J Dot
I'm not 100% Sure on this- I have only used 24fps, that's why I asked. I intend to have a play with 60fos so I can get get some slo motion in post.

Hello
Let me explain

Here is balance
View attachment 85118

Here is tracking
View attachment 85119

Next
Where

Hope this helps!

H Dot

There is a big difference when shooting in 60fps over 30fps whether shooting in 4k or 1080 as 60fps is much smoother.

Thanks for the reply!

BUT:

Take care,
J Dot

There is no doubt that 60 fps gives you more room to adjust speed later, but there is a much bigger issue. The frame rate has a lot to do with the final look you are trying to achieve. If you want the broadcast TV, hyper-realistic look to your images, then the higher the frame rate the better. This is because you reduce motion blur in moving parts of your images between frames. If, however, you want a cinematic look, then the closer to 24 fps, the better. Traditional motion pictures are shot at 24 fps which gives a good deal of motion blur between frames. Our brains are conditioned to see this as a pleasing image. Higher frame rates appear jarring and just somehow not right. So if you want the cinema look, stick to 24 fps.

If you are using a higher frame rate to compensate for camera motions that are not smooth, I suggest you practice more, use tripod mode or adjust the gimbal etc for slower motion and stick to the 24 fps frame rate. In the end, you will produce better, more pleasing imagery.

There is no doubt that 60 fps gives you more room to adjust speed later, but there is a much bigger issue. The frame rate has a lot to do with the final look you are trying to achieve. If you want the broadcast TV, hyper-realistic look to your images, then the higher the frame rate the better. This is because you reduce motion blur in moving parts of your images between frames. If, however, you want a cinematic look, then the closer to 24 fps, the better. Traditional motion pictures are shot at 24 fps which gives a good deal of motion blur between frames. Our brains are conditioned to see this as a pleasing image. Higher frame rates appear jarring and just somehow not right. So if you want the cinema look, stick to 24 fps.

If you are using a higher frame rate to compensate for camera motions that are not smooth, I suggest you practice more, use tripod mode or adjust the gimbal etc for slower motion and stick to the 24 fps frame rate. In the end, you will produce better, more pleasing imagery.

Shooting in 60fps has nothing at about adjusting speed it's fact that shooting the higher frame rate produces a smoother effect when panning a camera whether on multirotor platform, car or tripod. While you can slow down footage no matter what frame rate it was shot in but that isn't the point or answer to the OP's question.

As a stock video footage provider to several agencies sales for 4K and 1080 (whether 60 or 30fps) outsell 24fps footage.

How do you correct a prop if one side is higher than other? I have balancer but the 3 sets of props I've gone thru were balanced as received, but never thought to check height as you demonstrated

I either bent them back by hand, with light steady pressure , or if they are really bad, I use my heat gun, usually only the tips get bent up or down!
I tried to find a video I saw a while back MAYBE @dirkclod can supply it ( I believe he sent it to me ? ) but someone took a phantom, and ran turbulence tests on it, with an animation, on prop wash, prop current , air current craft body, etc.
Was really interesting, and airflow was quite violent at the same time, you can see how the props react, and how airflow reacts to the arms of the bird as it flies! REALLY COOL STUFF!
I'll keep looking!

J Dot

Shooting in 60fps has nothing at about adjusting speed it's fact that shooting the higher frame rate produces a smoother effect when panning a camera whether on multirotor platform, car or tripod. While you can slow down footage no matter what frame rate it was shot in but that isn't the point or answer to the OP's question.

As a stock video footage provider to several agencies sales for 4K and 1080 (whether 60 or 30fps) outsell 24fps footage.

My speed comment was referring to the OP as he suggested that he was using 60 fps to smooth out panning. I was assuming he was placing the footage on a 30 fps timeline. Perhaps I was wrong there.

Interesting comment about stock sales favoring 30 and 60 fps. I personally dislike those frame rates as I just don't think they look nearly as good as 24 fps. I just prefer the cinematic look.

60fps basically gives you that room to stretch out the video to slower speeds while maintaining similar quality as 30 or 24fps footage (depending how much you stretch it out). When doing bet serene, relaxed films I use the highest frame rate possible, as it adds to the "jarring" response of the brain when watching it, creating an interesting effect overall.

I very much agree however, too, that a lower frame rate (24fps) provides a realistic, cinematic look to your video. You just are limited in terms of slowing it down later as it will appear more "choppy" as you stretch it out.

If you really want that extra level of quality control on your videos, change the format that it is recording in (D-LOG, Cinema etc.). Some of these could be considered the video equivalent of shooting pictures in RAW (could be wrong here [emoji1]). They all have their pros and cons, but I don't touch those setting because I'm happy with the end product of my footage.

Happy filming!

iflyp3s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav