What's a good age to start flying a DJI phantom?

Reaction score
I know that drones are marketed towards adults but what if there was a high schooler that bought a drone and took the test and we're making money? Could a mature extremely well informed about rules and regulations thirteen year old buy a drone with their own money? What are your thoughts?

I know that drones are marketed towards adults but what if there was a high schooler that bought a drone and took the test and we're making money? Could a mature extremely well informed about rules and regulations thirteen year old buy a drone with their own money? What are your thoughts?
I'd go say 45--50 . My observation is there is a proportional relationship between operator age and drone lifetime.
Drone life in weeks equals operator age in years divided by 8 then squared.

DRI is calculated thus: Drone Replacement Interval

Dl = (Oa/8)x(Oa/8) can't do superscripts

Dl drone lifetime in weeks
Oa = Operator Age in years

QED:

16 days = 12yr divided by 8 =1.5 (15x1.5)= 2 1/4
5 weeks = 18 yr old
36 weeks = 48 yr old (48/8=6) squared
100 weeks for an 80 yr old

Last edited:
IMHO, I think that a mature, thirteen year old, who was well informed about rules and regulations, could buy a Phantom and be quite successful flying it. I am sure that there are many younger children flying these drones with supervision. Flying the new drones, such as the Phantom series, reminds me of the old saying:"A minute to learn, a lifetime to master". There is something said for starting young. Judging by the ages on another thread on this site, the average DJI pilot is approximately 60 years old.

Im 14, and fly the phantom very well. I know absolutely everything that I need to know to fly a phantom. I started off with a P3S last winter, and bought a P4P about one month ago.

I would say it depends on the person not the age ! Some can grasp and understand , apply knowledge faster than others . It's all about supervision, guidance and flying in an open area . Just my thoughts

Can he stand on own two feet ?

Can he put more than two words together to form a sentence ?

Then he is DJI market to put it simply.

The DJI Phantom is designed for idiots to fly. Trouble is they forgot to tell the idiots to LET GO THE STICKS when all goes to rat-sh** !

I've been flying models for over 50yrs and I have never seen anything so easy to fly as a DJI.

BUT that has its problems ..... because when it goes wrong - they have no idea what to do !

It comes with a price !

I learnt on 3 axis multi rotors and helis .... boy does that help when it all falls apart ! BUT my main fallback ? S2 switch and RTH !!

Nigel

I always cringe every time I see some kid on YouTube maybe 10-12 years old showing off their P4P. I'm not saying they can't fly it, do you really think the kid will be responsible with it

Reactions: HarleyKen
No-one knows completely how to fly RC .....

QED

a 13 year old with supervision is a safer pilot than an 18 year old without . a 13 year old without supervision has the ability to fly like a 50 year old who thinks he/she knows all about safe flight. jmo

Reactions: Dragonwar
I'd go say 45--50 . My observation is there is a proportional relationship between operator age and drone lifetime.
Drone life in weeks equals operator age in years divided by 8 then squared...

2ca79eb486ade2b6c98ea9fdc6eb1eed.jpg

Messed up the calculus the first time, didja?! [emoji12]

2ca79eb486ade2b6c98ea9fdc6eb1eed.jpg

Messed up the calculus the first time, didja?! [emoji12]
Actually typos, and I first said inversely proportional but I didn't want to corn fuse you.

Shoot, I remember now, I was on live help with NASA and they suggested I rename it DRI. I had wanted to just call it Drone Life Dl (expectancy) but the fellas on the other coast thought DRI was more succinct. :(;):):confused::cool:o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: jwmcgrath
Looking back, I can hardly believe how much I spent in my late teens on an Atari 800 and accessories, then an IBM PC clone soon to be upgraded to an XT clone. My first HD was seagate 20MB, yes MB which costed me I think $800. The Atari floppy drive $200. My parents did have me put 1/2 of any money I got from a part time job until I got my first car and had to pay for insurance. Then they conceded to putting 1/4 of what I made toward college. Without rent and utilities, even with car expenses and 1/4 of earnings toward college, that still allowed for fun money.

Hi keep catchin this post ,,here in NZ its got this,,probly on all boxs

1489391564235-401809552.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj